AKRF Is My Life

Real Name
    matt
    Bike
    vn1500custom/82 gsx1100
    My Mood
    Paranoid

Default ikon shocks review...stay tuned

i just went to the ikon factory in albury & ordered a brand new set of custom rear shocks for the vn 1500 classic,i had a talk to greg the main man there & discussed what was needed ie how much weight it carries on a regular basis,whether or not a pillion or gear is regularly carried or both.Greg told me that when you buy one of their products you get the choice of spring rate to suit your needs,he also told me he`s going to do a custom shroud that will cover the springs to give it that old school look.The whole show will cost around $750 compared to around $600 for the stockies,the front fork springs, seals & dust covers will also be replaced but as yet i havnt decided wheather to go down the stock path or not............stay tuned
    dont mistake my kindness for weakness i am kind to everyone,but when someone is unkind to me,weak is not what you are going to remember about me.........Al Capone

Really Full Of It

Real Name
    Jen
    Bike
    nothing
    My Mood
    Happy

hey easy
    Dusty and i brought ikon shocks for the harley and they were great. really improved the bike heaps. its good how they rate them for your needs. the service was also good. We had ours made for a 230kg rating. that was with pillion + luggage.

AKRF Is My Life

Real Name
    matt
    Bike
    vn1500custom/82 gsx1100
    My Mood
    Paranoid

cool thats good to hear i`ll do a full review once i have them fitted & tested them out! oh & im aiming for 200kg range coz i dont carry all that much luggege except me hahaha
    dont mistake my kindness for weakness i am kind to everyone,but when someone is unkind to me,weak is not what you are going to remember about me.........Al Capone

AKRF Is My Life

Real Name
    matt
    Bike
    vn1500custom/82 gsx1100
    My Mood
    Paranoid

ok i picked them up the day,got them home & whacked them straight on! I have to say i wasnt expecting them to raise the rear as much as they have,at least 2inches i recon! Which would leave me to belive that the old shocks were worse than i though & must have been bottoming out far more than i realised.To understand just what these shocks have done to the feeling of the bike i need to explain what its been like pretty much from the moment i got it!!! i must say that i have known that the bike wasnt handling very well at all & hasnt since i brought it to honest but as this was my first cruiser i didnt have much expectation in the handling department,im a big bloke & i tend to exceed most bike rider limits in terms of ideal weight for fast & or comfortable riding so when i got the old girl i didnt notice just how bad it was for a long time.Over time though it did become obvious that it didnt go around corners very well at all,at anything other than a stroll in the park pace it would wallow so bad it was scary!!Now to be fair i had read quite often that cruisers & especially the vn1500/nomads had this problem from the factory & that trying to fix it would prove almost impossible & that thats just the way cruisers were!!! So i tolerated it for awhile but eventually it got the better of me & i started looking fora little more comfort & better handling,first port of call i thought was changing the fork oil which as i`ll explain later needs doing again,the job its self isnt that hard so it not a bad place too start when sorting issues with suspension.Not all that long after changing the oil i went on the castle pre ride with madcow & ekaz & i mentioned to madcow that my bike wallowed really bad through a nice winding section of road between euroa & merton{those that are coming to the castle09 will get the chance to ride this road!} & he replyed that his was the same,so i just though that it was a trait of the vn`s but on the ride home it became painfully obvious that there was a real problem with my bike because by the time i got home i could hardly get off the bike & walk i was in that much pain!!!! & even in the following weeks my back has been very painful,so i set about fixing the back breaker! first port of call IKON shocks... a local maufacturer so they got my vote from the out set,now at this point i want to inform you about what i call the north east syndrome,it affects most businesses up here & it boils down to shocking service{excuse the pun}my wife & i own a local takeaway food shop & we survive on service but it seems that we are on our pat malone,after talking to geoff of ikon about what i needed i was happy with what i ordered...which was a set of their heavy duty shocks with adjustable preload & damping suitable for my weights & needs,what i got was a great set of shocks at a reasonable price $750 as compared to the standard shocks at $600/650.The difference is huge compared to the old one`s & has made my back side very happy!!!!.On the down side was the fact that i asked ikon to make a set of covers for the shocks to give them that old school harley look from the early wla days,what i got was a stupid look from the secretary when she showed me my shocks & i asked where the cover where? her reply was "we dont make them" so i asked her to call geoff & ask him,to which his reply was "we dont make them like that but if you give us an extra $150 we do".At the time of ordering i was very clear as to what i wanted & was happy with the answer i got in relation to the shrouds,but it seems that $150 insnt that much to them but its alot for me & if they told me how much it cost i would have gone else where with my business because thats just a stupid price for a couple of covers!!!!
    so in the end i got some good shocks for a good price but with crap service,it has also pointed out the need to go back & redo the front end as previously i had only changed the fork oil,i think that the seals & dust covers will need to be replaced & oil levels rechecked to bring the bike back to some sort of reasonable handling equal to the rear!!!!
    no more numb bum hopefully..................cheers matt