Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    n00bie

Default bike not charging

Hey all,

I have a 92 zx 600 and I am having problems with the battery going flat while riding. I have run the multimeter over it all and the voltage is only 12 volts while running and I believe it should be about 13 volt if similar to a car.
    Once I charge the battery up I will get a couple of days use before it wont start and gets rather annoying. It slowly loses the charge during riding so basically wondering if anyone has any ideas or can recommen someone in SA to take it. Any help would be great as I dont know if it runs a alternator sort of setup or some other system that is easy to replace.

Thanks heaps for any help. Mike

n00bie

hi mike havent needed a bike electrain for a lot off years,, try arlec out at norwood way ,,,city cycle electricel in the city,, yellow pages mate,,, ive also found this site on ebay which will come in handy later,,,, search STATor,, find RM STATOR is the company,, rectifers, stators === chargeing components, but i would say your battery has seen better days,if your in the northern subs try batteries direct at salsbury best price ive found, i make car batterys and its cheaper for me to get them there than at exide

n00bie

im of the opion its your battery mate where you located ,im out elizabeth way,yes you have a alternator, the two parts that will stop charging are diode pack/regulator ,,,rectifer, you also have brushes inside , but this would not cause your problem ,,,think battery if it is over 2 years then probaly fu----, the only way to get maybe a longer life is if you ride every day,,here also a nother cause stator winding broken,, but my gpz 24 yrs old and the electrical system is all stock,, just battery replacements

n00bie

suggest yuo have battery checked as it sounds like a dead cell or cell collapse.go to battery shop for free check-up.had same problem with cars before.

n00bie

yeah cheers for the responses guys. I have already replaced the battery with a new one and th voltage at first is fine. When the bike is running it is only hitting 12.2 volts rouhly not the required probably 13 volts. I will probably take it to a auto electrician on Monday or even Boltons as I have a mate there. As for riding it each day I already do most days apart from at the moment.

Cheers for the help anyway guys

n00bie

another thing you can do, is wire in a switch so your headlight is not on all the time, and while your doing that wire in a remote switch to turn your fan on

Banned

Real Name
    Mick
    Bike
    2003 Z1000
    My Mood
    Breezy

I'm Getting There

Real Name
    Jamie
    Bike
    1984 GPZ900 A1, 2008 VN900 Custom
    My Mood
    Shocked

Could be the regulator but more likely to be the generator/stator.
    Charge should be showing at least 14+ volts when the bike is running.

n00bie

yeah that is the thing I am thinking, but going down to see my mate that runs Boltons service shop and do a test on it all. That way can order the parts I need while there.

n00bie

OK have fixed the not charging issue by installing new stator. Only hassle now is getting it to seal up properly. Have gasket goo all over it just got to let it dry now then looking forward to taking it for a spin again.

A big thanks to everyones input and help.