Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

I'm Getting There

Default Head Stem Bearings

Hey just wondering how big a job it would be to change head stem bearings.

there seemed to be a bit of movment in the head stem on my new bike, mechanic said that the bearings could be stuffed and the previous owner may have loosened it a bit, so all seemed normal.

n00bie On a Mission

There are places on the net which takes you through the process but IMO it would be better to spend $250 and get a mechanic to do it. About 2 hrs plus bearing costs. I had to replace the head stem bearings on mine at 40,000ks and at 80,000ks. After doing so the bike always feels brand new and handles like a dream. They can also easily install a grease nipple in the neck so that you can keep up good grease yourself. This is very helpful for prolonging the life of the bearings. Apparantly, out of the factory, Kawa are pretty stingy on the grease and so its generally not long before they need renewing. Its not a big job for a mechanic though. Hope this helps.
    Cheers,
    Venu

I'm Getting There

helps alot thanks for the info, exactly what i was after!

I'm Getting There

OK i thought i'd out this here rater than starting a new thread (not 100% sure why tho?)

well i was also watching some videos where a guy dismantles a head stem on a cbr.

Thereare 2 videos, in the first he dismantles and inspects it and the 'ball races' are stuffed.
    The second video he is putting it all back together BUT he has replaced the bearings and the 'ball races', and it 'looks' like there may have been some machining?

If you hav any idea what im on about please comment, as I intend on inspecting my head stem when i attempt to relplace my fork seals and I recon my head stem bearings ect will be in as bad or worse condition than the cbr in the videos folowing.

<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CRVhPmb7qXo>
    Dismantling

<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQHu3t-0QEA>
    Installing

I am actually concidering buying the dvd that these videos are from, its about 12 bucks from the uk.

n00bie On a Mission

Bike
    1986 Kawasaki BR 250

Replace them with tapered roller bearings. Much better bearing. They will survive over-tightening, and last longer. You can press/tap out the whole bearing race quite easily and replace the entire unit. There is no machining required if you get the correct sizes. Might need to pull yours apart to see what sizes you need though. Means you're off the road until the new bearings turn up (unless you put it back together again, then pull it again when the new bearings turn up). Not a very hard job at all. The hardest thing is getting everything out of the way to get to the bearings. Try pyramid parts on ebay for bearings and fork seals.
    Good luck.

I'm Getting There

thanks alot buddy, your a legend!

Im not sure when i intend on pulling it apart, but it won't hurt me being off the road for a little while, i can just catch the train.

so things like bearing race units, lock washers and what ever other bits i need, where do i get them?
    I know you have mentioned 'pyramid parts' but will i get everything i need from them and the dealer?

Really Full Of It

Bike
    '01 ZRX1200R (ZR1200-A1)
    My Mood
    Twisted

Quote Originally Posted by columbine88 View Post
    there seemed to be a bit of movment in the head stem on my new bike, mechanic said that the bearings could be stuffed and the previous owner may have loosened it a bit, so all seemed normal.
    are they stuffed or not???...the mechanic should KNOW...it ain't rocket science
    '01 ZRX1200R https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/_3OoDrit0mh8/TVWrg8ZSSzI/AAAAAAAACr8/oKB4GmG86Rs/A_800x600.jpg ZR1200A1

I'm Getting There

Quote Originally Posted by jefflthomas View Post
    are they stuffed or not???...the mechanic should KNOW...it ain't rocket science
    lol, i don't think the mechanic actually pulled them apart, but i'd say they are, and i'll know for sure once i finally pull the head stem apart. I think i started this thread back when i got the bike, this time last year, it hasn't been to much of a problem.

Really Full Of It

Bike
    '01 ZRX1200R (ZR1200-A1)
    My Mood
    Twisted

easier to tell if they're stuffed when assembled

tighten to the correct pressure & feel for an inconsistency while turning through "straight ahead" with the front wheel off the ground
    '01 ZRX1200R https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/_3OoDrit0mh8/TVWrg8ZSSzI/AAAAAAAACr8/oKB4GmG86Rs/A_800x600.jpg ZR1200A1

AKRF Is My Life

Real Name
    matt
    Bike
    vn1500custom/82 gsx1100
    My Mood
    Paranoid

Quote Originally Posted by Deanoseadog View Post
    Replace them with tapered roller bearings. Much better bearing. They will survive over-tightening, and last longer. You can press/tap out the whole bearing race quite easily and replace the entire unit. There is no machining required if you get the correct sizes. Might need to pull yours apart to see what sizes you need though. Means you're off the road until the new bearings turn up (unless you put it back together again, then pull it again when the new bearings turn up). Not a very hard job at all. The hardest thing is getting everything out of the way to get to the bearings. Try pyramid parts on ebay for bearings and fork seals.
    Good luck.
    jeez you make it seem so easy! i`ve had very few bikes where the head stem just pops out & you whack another in, in fact unless you have the right tool to press the bearing out it can be a real bugger of a job getting the races out.It always pays to have the right gear to do the job or it can become a real pain in the a55,thats not to say it cant be done at home but the bearing press makes like so much easier!
    Quote Originally Posted by jefflthomas View Post
    easier to tell if they're stuffed when assembled

tighten to the correct pressure & feel for an inconsistency while turning through "straight ahead" with the front wheel off the ground
    +1 jeff,the mechanic should have been able to tell you right away & if you have left them for this long then you can bet it will be a pain in the ass to remove the races!
    dont mistake my kindness for weakness i am kind to everyone,but when someone is unkind to me,weak is not what you are going to remember about me.........Al Capone