Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ZZR aka ZX11

n00bie

funny enough all the zzr1100 and zzr1200 use the same motor basicly. The zzr/zx14 is a bored and stroked zx12r motor.

Tasvulcan

Quote Originally Posted by Gosling1 View Post
    they still do - to some extent...

In the US markets, the models were always referred to as ZX, and generally with a 'Ninja' thrown in there somewhere as well.

ZZR on the other hand, was reserved for the Euro and Oz markets.

So we got the ZZR-1100 C1 through to E?model, and then the ZZR-1200.

This model range ceased (here), with the release of the ZX12R in 2000/01.

Over the same period, the US always had the ZX11 - and then the ZX12R. One point to note was than none of the early (late 80's-mid 90's) ZX10 / ZX11 series had the 'R' suffix. This was restricted only to the ZX6/ZX9 series.

When the latest ZX14 was released, it was only known as the ZX14 in the US and Oz markets. The Euro model is known over there as the ZZR-1400. When I got some really early pre-production material from the local Kwakka dealer, the original Oz release actually had ZZR-1400 badges across the rear tail unit, not ZX-14.

Something else to note - the ZX14 is the first ZX-series bike in Oz since the original ZX10 of 1988 (which was replaced with the first ZZR1100), to be released without the 'R' suffix - it was not and was never intended to be a replacement for the ZX12R (which of course is the biggest meanest *sports* bike that Kawasaki have ever built) - the ZX14 is actually the next model (and replacement) in the ZZR line.

I always refer to these bikes as ZZR1400 on other forums, and geez doesn't it p1ss the owners off !! - Having ridden the first demo here (on the second day after it was delivered, and immediately banging almost 100km on the clock on its first ride after the Dealer had ridden it ), and then jumping straight back onto the MFP12 to ride home, the differences between the 2 models was like chalk and cheese.

But the fact is, they really are a ZZR1400 - a touring bike first and foremost, not a sports bike. If they were a sports bike, they would have been called the ZX14R.......You know it makes sense. I'm Sam Kekovich.

Gos, mate, GET A LIFE

Banned

Real Name
    Mick
    Bike
    2003 Z1000
    My Mood
    Breezy

n00bie

The bike is a ZX1100. When the GPZ900 came out, we called it that here and elsewhere except in the US where they called it the Ninja (the first of the Ninjas) I think it was Kawasaki wanting to have something cooler than Susukis Katana (which they certainly did) The Ninja thing quickly caught on elsewhere in the world and lots of Kwakas have been designated Ninja since. But the the actual model of the bike is a ZX900 which is what the Americans call it when they dont talk "Ninja" -- The actual model of the ZZR is a ZX1100. The ZZR part is just a name, but the model is the ZX1100. Its confusing and a little silly, but hey, ZZR kind of sounds cooler than ZX so lets just keep calling em that.

Paul

n00bie

Bike
    1990 EX250H1

Thanks for all that info o the ZZR Gosling1. That information has helped me clear up the same confusion i had, I've had a hard time finding a repair manual for my 1990 ZZR now i know that the Euro market also had it named as the ZZR and not GPZ or NINJA 250R it should make it easier to find a factory repair manual for my bike. thank you so much.

I'm Getting There Hexxagon Champion

Real Name
    Heath
    Bike
    2006 Vulcan Nomad
    My Mood
    Amused

I am about 80% sure my dad has a factory manual (he use to have his own bike workshop) I can ask him and see if he wants to part with it.

Quote Originally Posted by IvoryGriever View Post
    Thanks for all that info o the ZZR Gosling1. That information has helped me clear up the same confusion i had, I've had a hard time finding a repair manual for my 1990 ZZR now i know that the Euro market also had it named as the ZZR and not GPZ or NINJA 250R it should make it easier to find a factory repair manual for my bike. thank you so much.
    signature

The Other Fat Kid

Real Name
    John
    Bike
    1975 MalvernStar Dragster
    My Mood
    Confused

I have a Factory Manual for the ZZR1100 what do ya need?
    August 2011 BOTM winner the Mighty ZZR 1100
    Once apon a time !!!!