Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    n00bie

Real Name
    Change Me
    Bike
    81 CB900F2B, GPZ110 A1

Default 1983 GPZ1100A1 (ZX1100A1) - replacement fuel pump

I'm about to start a new resto project on a 83 gpz1100, and I was hoping to get the bike running before tearing it down. First item of business, I need to replace the fuel pump as it is closed circuit. the model number on the case is JECS A42-612531- Does anyone know of a replacement unit.
    It has a right angle outlet.

thanks in anticipation

Regards Brian

I'm Getting There

Real Name
    Steve
    Bike
    83 GPZ1100 GTR1000
    My Mood
    Amused

Hi Brian
    The original pumps are not available as you know. There is a walbro brand pump GSL393 that I have heard some guys say they have used on the fuel injected 1100s and the 750 turbos. Not sure on price of these but google will help. Also some jap cars from the 90s had the same pumps
    I had a pump that I thought was dead until someone told me to fill it full of carb cleaner or alike and leave it sit for a few hours. Then connect power to the terminals and hit the pump with something. Not smashing it but hard enough to jolt whatever inside blocking it loose. I did this and got mine to start working again. Also don't forget not to run the pump with nothing in it as the fuel cools the bearings and with out anything in it you will destroy it (if its not dead already). Fuel sitting in them for long periods turns to crap very easily.

n00bie

Real Name
    Change Me
    Bike
    81 CB900F2B, GPZ110 A1

thanks for that - I'll give it a jolly good soaking tomorrow.
    I'm new to the fuel injection system on bikes and one being an early one seems to be fairly temperamental from all that I've read.

Cheers Brian.

I'm Getting There

Real Name
    Steve
    Bike
    83 GPZ1100 GTR1000
    My Mood
    Amused

The injection system on the 83 and 84 still have their share of issues but nothing like the 81 gpz. The biggest problems on your system is corroded/loose wires and the engine temp sensor gives grief sometimes. I have four 83 models and one 84 model and have worked on these systems for years. Another big help is to try to get a copy of the factory workshop manual. It has all the info you need to play with these injection systems. Let us know how you get on with it. If you need any other help just ask.

Cheers. Steve.

n00bie

Real Name
    Change Me
    Bike
    81 CB900F2B, GPZ110 A1

Default ignition circuit

I have another question - same bike - next to the throttle grip there is a auxiliary on/off switch. Adjacent to the ignition coils there are 2 tunnel diodes wired back to back (cathode to cathode). one leg of the Aux switch is connected the cathodes. the other leg of the Aux switch going through the frame and into the rear of the engines case and connects to I don't know what (yet)
    On one Anode there a singe wire that goes to the Black terminal of coil 1, on the second Anode there is a wire that goes to coil 2 Green terminal.
    I'm unable to load an image for clarity.

Cheers Harry
    Last edited by HarryNZ; 05-06-18 at 11:24 AM.

n00bie

Real Name
    Change Me
    Bike
    81 CB900F2B, GPZ110 A1

I called Jay @ Brisbane Fuel Injection services, and he turned up and sonic cleaned and bench tested the four injectors. 2 needed a second go in the sonic bath. Bench flow tested and pattern are now all good. New seals supplied and ready to reinstall. Cost $192. A better option than sourcing replacements.
    Now working to solving the fuel pump issue.

I'm Getting There

Real Name
    Steve
    Bike
    83 GPZ1100 GTR1000
    My Mood
    Amused

I'm not sure what you are referring to with the diodes Brian. The only diodes I can think of are in the fuse box. I will have to get my workshop manual out and have a look. Good call getting the injectors cleaned. They do block up with crap after sitting with fuel in them for long periods.

n00bie On a Mission

Real Name
    Glenn
    Bike
    2 x1980 Z1000H , XS 650

Are those diodes possibly ballast resistors or maybe capacitors for the coils ?? And have you checked the fuel pump relay or connected12v direct to fuel pump... Just guessing..!???.
    Last edited by Zelephant; 06-06-18 at 05:54 PM.

I'm Getting There

Real Name
    Steve
    Bike
    83 GPZ1100 GTR1000
    My Mood
    Amused

Yes you are correct Glenn. As you know so many things in sequence need to happen before these bikes will run. Trying to diagnose them on a forum is always difficult. Hopefully we can be enough help so he can get the bike running. The fuel pump relay would be next obvious to check. The pump will need cleaned out as well because who knows how long it's been sitting with fuel in it..
    Last edited by gpzman.123; 07-06-18 at 08:18 AM.

n00bie

Real Name
    Change Me
    Bike
    81 CB900F2B, GPZ110 A1

Sorry I've been busy on other stuff.
    I've followed the other side of the handle bar switch, Diode connection on one side, and it goes down to the Neutral switch, so it looks like the PO was switching the neutral switch earth for who knows what reason. But I can tell you its coming out pronto.

The fuel pump is out of the bike and had 12v stuck across it, and no joy. Dead as. I've ordered a replacement:
    VOLTS: 12V
    WIDE OPEN FLOW: 160 L/H
    PRESSURE: 3 BAR / 42 psi
    SHUT-OFF PRESSURE: 6 BAR / 87 psi
    Hose: 8 mm
    Size in mm: 175x52.

About to drain the engine oil and pull the filter for replacement before turning it over to test fuel delivery.
    this bike has been siting, and not turned over for 5+ years.