Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    n00bie

Real Name
    Richard
    Bike
    2003 W650

Question W650 Gear Position Sensor

Can anyone tell me the purpose of the Gear Position Sensor. On my W650 (2003) according to the schematic circuit it has one wire to the neutral switch, that I understand and three wires to the IC Igniter. If they represent 2nd, 3rd and 4th gears why is there not one for 5th gear. Does this device have anything to do with the positive neutral finder which is a very useful feature. Except it is impossible to move the gearbox through the gears when stationary eg for checking as you can't put it into second. Is there a way past this? The reason for my question is I have an intermittent miss when accelerating which feels like the bike runs on one cylinder for about five seconds and then it is back to normal and I have just found out it only happens in third gear, although I can not be certain of that. I have cleaned the carbies and replaced the plugs and checked the leads, all the usual stuff but I feel the trouble could be with the igniter or something else electrical that I don't understand. I am used to good old points and condenser systems. Hoping to from from someone who understands the electrical system of this bike. Thanks for reading. Richard.

n00bie On a Mission Space Invaders Champion Snake Champion Breakout Champion Bubble Trouble Champion Joust Champion TIE Fighter Shooter Champion 12 Babes of Xmas Champion Classic Donkey Kong Champion Pedestrian Killer Champion Starship Legend Champion

Bike
    1999 KDX200, 2005 ZRX1200

Referring to the inability of changing gear while parked, if you have a paddock stand or centre stand i.e. raise the back wheel, you can rotate the wheel while changing gears or (and this is not recommended) start the bike and go up through the gears then stop the engine once you get to the gear you want.

n00bie

Real Name
    Richard
    Bike
    2003 W650

I have found the answer with advice from Team-Moto for anyone interested. There are 4 wires to the gear position sensor which is simply a piece of plastic with 4 brass contacts and a pin rotates when you change gears to contact each as required to complete a circuit to ground. They get dirty and are easy to clean up and the 'switch' is easy to remove. Three wires tell the igniter to alter the ignition timing in gears 1, 2 and 3 and this must also be subject to other factors like throttle position maybe. The fourth wire goes to the neutral light. Unfortunately I am almost certain my problem is with the actual igniter as all wiring and the switch prove ok. For the electronically minded the wires from the igniter for gears 2 and 3 measure 4.6 volts to ground, and the wire for first gear measures 4.2 volts. I see this difference as my problem because the missing only occurs in 2nd and 3rd gear. The fourth wire has 12.6 volts to ground as that goes direct to the neutral light. Looks like I need a new igniter. Very expensive. Anyone know where I can get a cheap one and has anyone ever had one fail before.

n00bie On a Mission

Real Name
    John
    Bike
    08 900 classic
    Regards
    John

VN 900 red 08 Classic
    BOM Aug12
    BOM Jan13

n00bie

Real Name
    Richard
    Bike
    2003 W650

Sorry JD. That's an ignition coil, not an igniter.

n00bie On a Mission Space Invaders Champion Snake Champion Breakout Champion Bubble Trouble Champion Joust Champion TIE Fighter Shooter Champion 12 Babes of Xmas Champion Classic Donkey Kong Champion Pedestrian Killer Champion Starship Legend Champion

Bike

What's the part number?

n00bie On a Mission

Real Name
    John
    Bike
    08 900 classic

Sorry, IPB reference?

21119-1549 is about $540 in Au.
    Try a wreckers maybe.
    Last edited by J.Davis; 06-06-17 at 07:48 PM.
    Regards
    John

VN 900 red 08 Classic
    BOM Aug12
    BOM Jan13

n00bie

Real Name
    Richard
    Bike
    2003 W650

Yes, 21119-1549 is the part number. And the price on-line you suggest is cheaper than the $650.00 AU I was quoted from Team-moto. But you wouldn't believe it. The bike was missing like mad in 2nd and 3rd gears so I took it into Team-moto for their opinion. After discussing it with the manager for a while he took it for a long ride and it behaved perfectly so he must have thought I was mad. So I took it out and the fault was totally gone and we'd done nothing. I rode it for another 100km or so and not a problem. Just about to think it's fixed itself when, sure enough the fault came back. It's not so bad I can't put up with it but I don't want to shell out on a new igniter just in case. I would love to hear from anyone who knows the electrics of this bike backwards and can suggest anything. I know the coil, crankshaft sensor and throttle position sensor would be cheaper to replace but I can't see how they could be the problem and I have all but eliminated carby and spark plug problems.

Bike

About the only thing I could suggest is to pull apart all connectors on the bike (one by one) and check them for corrosion. Good luck, intermittent problems are not a lot of fun.