Dynoverks
    n00bie

Default 82 GPZ1100 B2 Revival with some pics

Hi all, I've got a B2 that doesn't want to start, and I have a feeling it is missing some bits. It still has DFI, and I'd like to keep it that way for originality.

I bought it off a bloke who reckons it ran OK when he had it (don't they all) but he bought a Harley and then hadn't ridden the kwack for a year or two. I know I am missing a "reserve lighting device" whatever that is.

Additionally, I seem to have a 3 pin connector coming out from the loom under the tank that gets a photo in the Haynes manual, but doesn't say what should plug into it (the other connection preset connects to the fuel level unit). The wiring on the whole, was pretty bad. I had an auto electrician tidy up the connectors which had largely perished and as a result I have plenty of nice connectors but not a lot of go.

Currently:
    + Indicators work
    + Headlights work
    + Dash lights up
    + Makes a single click when pressing engine start
    + Battery has 12.5 volts

- Fuel pump has worked about 6 months ago on a bench, but doesn't seem to be working now. This could be due to wiring or it being seized up again without any fuel in it.
    - Seem to have broken the air temp sensor wires. Will this stop anything from working?
    - Seem to have discovered a 4 point connector coming off the ignitor that is supposed to go to the coils but can't find a partner plug!

I'll go and take some photos and upload them to assist any boffins who would like to take a look. I also have a 83 GPZ750A1 with the 810 kit and flat-slide carbs and almost an open exhaust which was hilarious fun to ride.

Bike as current

Mysterious 3 pin connector without a partner

Random connections

I'm Getting There

Real Name
    Steve
    Bike
    83 GPZ1100 GTR1000
    My Mood
    Amused

Hi spook I feel your pain. I have 5 of the next model GPZ100 1983 models and I bought a few of them not going and have spent years working on them trying to get them to run.
    Firstly when you turn the ignition switch on the fuel pump should run for 10 seconds to pressurise the system. If that is not happening you have a problem with either the pump or the pump relay. If all is ok with key on it should be pumping fuel out of the return pipe back to the tank (the one on the right side of the tank. Its not a good idea to run the pump dry because the fuel cools the inners of the pump. If run too long without fuel it will burn out. I found using longer hoses without the tank on with one sucking fuel in from a drum and a long hose from the return back to the drum worked good for me as its a pain to keep putting the tank on and off all the time.
    Wiring and connector plug problems are the biggest downfall with these injection systems. One loose or not connected will stop the bike from running. You will need to somehow reconnect the air temp sensor wire as that wont help getting it going.
    I have talked to someone before about that odd plug under the tank. I think from memory its the reserve lighting plug. Its an American only thing they had and it doesn't need to be connected to anything to get the bike running.
    If you have anymore questions just ask and I will see if I can help. You need to get a factory workshop manual. They have all the wiring diagrams and tests for the electrical systems. Don't get the Clymer one as its a bit vague in its instructions sometimes.
    Last edited by gpzman.123; 06-04-17 at 09:40 AM.

n00bie On a Mission

Real Name
    Glenn
    Bike
    2 x1980 Z1000H , XS 650

Default 3pins

Quote Originally Posted by Spook7 View Post
    Hi all, I've got a B2 that doesn't want to start, and I have a feeling it is missing some bits. It still has DFI, and I'd like to keep it that way for originality.

I bought it off a bloke who reckons it ran OK when he had it (don't they all) but he bought a Harley and then hadn't ridden the kwack for a year or two. I know I am missing a "reserve lighting device" whatever that is.

Additionally, I seem to have a 3 pin connector coming out from the loom under the tank that gets a photo in the Haynes manual, but doesn't say what should plug into it (the other connection preset connects to the fuel level unit). The wiring on the whole, was pretty bad. I had an auto electrician tidy up the connectors which had largely perished and as a result I have plenty of nice connectors but not a lot of go.

Currently:
    + Indicators work
    + Headlights work
    + Dash lights up
    + Makes a single click when pressing engine start
    + Battery has 12.5 volts

- Fuel pump has worked about 6 months ago on a bench, but doesn't seem to be working now. This could be due to wiring or it being seized up again without any fuel in it.
    - Seem to have broken the air temp sensor wires. Will this stop anything from working?
    - Seem to have discovered a 4 point connector coming off the ignitor that is supposed to go to the coils but can't find a partner plug!

I'll go and take some photos and upload them to assist any boffins who would like to take a look. I also have a 83 GPZ750A1 with the 810 kit and flat-slide carbs and almost an open exhaust which was hilarious fun to ride.

Bike as current

Mysterious 3 pin connector without a partner

Random connections
    Could the 3 pin connector come from the alternator and somehow plug into or near the rectifier..???.

n00bie

Righto chaps, thanks for the feedback. The 3 pin connector is not used on this model, as gpzman has pointed out. I thought that reserve lighting thing was important, but clearly not.

So basically, I have two connectors left (one plug was hiding under the bike, coming off the pickup coils lol). I have looked in my manual and there are two diagrams (see below)

So what I have is "d" as a connector, but cannot find anywhere to plug it into. Additionally, the main pump relay I thought was the box that has the black and white connectors going into it. There are no additional ports to plug anything in.

I also have a female connector but no male that seemingly goes in there. One is a spade connector, the other a bullet.

I'm Getting There

Real Name
    Steve
    Bike
    83 GPZ1100 GTR1000
    My Mood
    Amused

You are correct with the fuel pump relay spook. It has a black and white plugs going into it. That connector marked as "D" comes from near the battery and connects to a red wire with a white stripe that comes from the injection harness. That wire is what connects the injection harness to the rest of the main harness. Without it connected the computer and everything else with it wont get power. There should also be a single black wire from the injection harness that needs to plug into a plug on the black wire coming off the battery.
    Those plugs marked A B C and D on the injection harness have a place to plug into the main harness marked A B C and D and the bike wont go with any of them not connected.
    B is off the negative terminal of the battery. D is off the positive terminal of the battery. C goes to the starter solanoid I think and A has three wires red green and black coming from the coils or near there from the diagram.
    Your bike is slightly different to mine but I have the same wiring diagram you have so I studied it a bit closer. Hope this helps.
    Last edited by gpzman.123; 10-04-17 at 03:49 PM.