n00bie

Bike
    "96 GPX 250

Wink Hi from Mackay QLD

Hi, guys, new here on the forum and also new in the bike world. Just bought a 96 GPX 250 with 45.xxx km on it, second hand really cheap and i'm looking to get her going, bite the bullet when I bought it as it didn't have a battery to start her over and I wasn't sure what to check on the bike as I only worked on cars previously, but slowly I start to learn the bikes as well, prev owner told me he had the carby cleaned not long ago.
    Got home with it and in that night pulled apart all the plastics and start to work on in. Found the air filter disintegrated in the air box, fuel tanks was terrible inside etc. First thing I cleaned the fuel tank with some kero and a bunch of nuts and shake the crap out of it, cleaned most out of it, but damn was a mission to get all the nuts out, also found heaps of sand in the tank, which got me thinking the prev owner tried to clean the tanks as well. Tried to start her over, but didn't want to fire up. Tested all the leads and everything came back with positive results and got me worried as after a quick search on the mighty internet was only 2 things to do, one to throw away and replace the computer (ECU) or replace the spark plugs, following day went to the shop and bought a set of spark plugs replace them with the old ones and .... she was alive!! first push of the button, fire up straight away.
    Put some fresh oil in it, but it won't stay in the motor for too long in there, only for the time been till I put the bike back on the road again as I couldn't find the right viscosity oil for it, only 15w-50.
    Got a few issues so far that I might need help with, the bike goes in gear with or without clutch and the gear selector is not going back after shifting in first or second. Bare in mind, the test has only been done with the back wheel off the ground. I haven't tested on the road yet.
    Also, another advice that I need is with the wheels. They are in bad condition with the paint peeling off and tires worn out. Found a wheel from a 08 model same size wheel and tire for the front and the back wheel from a 05 model same size wheel but the tire is slightly bigger. My tire size is 120/90-16 and the tire on that wheel is 130/90-16, just wondering if they will fit my bike?

Cheers

n00bie On a Mission Space Invaders Champion Snake Champion Breakout Champion Bubble Trouble Champion Joust Champion TIE Fighter Shooter Champion 12 Babes of Xmas Champion Classic Donkey Kong Champion Pedestrian Killer Champion Starship Legend Champion

Bike
    1999 KDX200, 2005 ZRX1200

G'day Sebastian,
    good work on getting it running, 15w-50 is a bit heavy although during summer / autumn it's possibly not too much of a problem, 10/40 is the usual recommendation do you have a bike shop there they will have the right oil.
    The 05 rear wheel is the same part number as the 96 and the slightly wider 130 vs 120 should not be an issue. The 08 is a different model and the part numbers are different from the wheel to the spacers and axle, so probably not.
    There are several on ebay 2002, 2003 that are the same p/n's as the 96. Good luck with it and I hope Debbie isn't roughing you up too much

n00bie

Bike
    "96 GPX 250

Thanks for the info Maverick, ciclone wasn't to bad here in Mackay, but the night after, was worst than the ciclone. Strong gales, lightining and heavy rain all night. Lost power for 3 days, but i was lucky to lend a generator from one of my mates.

n00bie On a Mission Space Invaders Champion Snake Champion Breakout Champion Bubble Trouble Champion Joust Champion TIE Fighter Shooter Champion 12 Babes of Xmas Champion Classic Donkey Kong Champion Pedestrian Killer Champion Starship Legend Champion

Bike
    1999 KDX200, 2005 ZRX1200

Glad ya survived it