n00bie

Real Name
    Greg
    Bike
    KZ1100 shaft

Default KZ1100 rear wheel hub too tight

Hi

I've just reassembled (after 2 years in bits) my fully restored/customized KZ1100. In putting the rear wheel back on with the spacer sitting snug inside the RH bearing oil seal (?) and then tightening up the axle nut - the LH wheel hub outer ring is tightened hard up against the rear crankshaft transfer case - stopping the wheel from turning.

I've checked the drawings and there is only the one spacer - sitting over the axle and the only place it can go is between the wheel and swing arm - and I assume its purpose is to stop this problem - but it doesn't!

Any ideas anyone please? (I don't really understand how the spacer does stop the wheel from pressing up hard against the transfer case - when its pressing against the wheel bearing in the first place, and being "pushed" by the swing arm as the axle nit tightens ??))

I'm sure its a simple solution - but cant quite see the trick

Thanks

Greg

n00bie On a Mission

Real Name
    Glenn
    Bike
    2 x1980 Z1000H , XS 650

Does the spacer have a shoulder and if so maybe the shoulder should be against the swing arm. ..just a guess. .I know nothing of your particular model. ..good luck.

n00bie

Real Name
    Greg
    Bike
    KZ1100 shaft

I cant see my reply so will try again. I see there is a second spacer which sits inside the diff housing around the axle that keeps the wheel hub a few mm away from the diff - and so doesn't lock up. I can find the sizes of Kawasaki parts anywhere on line. Does anyone know where dimensions for parts are online please?

Tks

Greg

I'm Getting There

Real Name
    Steve
    Bike
    83 GPZ1100 GTR1000
    My Mood
    Amused

Name:  IMG_0167.jpg
Views: 14
Size:  47.4 KB

Greg I posted this from my workshop manual. Hope it helps.