Dynoverks
    n00bie

Real Name
    Greg
    Bike
    2006 Vulcan 2000 Classic
    My Mood
    Confused

Default Vulcan 2000, 04 ECU into 06 model?

I have had no luck over at the other Vulcan Forum.
    Ok then, has anyone tried an 04 ecu, that had a much better tune re ignition timing, in a later model 2000? Mine is an 06 mod.
    So theoretically an 04 ecu should work on all 2000s up to and including the 2007 model?
    I have found an original 2004 ecu online for sale, part number 21175-0005 which is the right one I assume, mine is 21175-0026, so I am thinking it might be worth a try.
    My 06 is the most detuned model from what I have read, it has about half the timing advance of the 04, down from 52 to 26 degrees, that's a massive detune.
    The 04 model must go like a skun cat compared to 06, is this the case?
    Has anyone tried this? or have more info on this subject?
    These bikes are 2lt tork monsters, and it would be nice to get every bit of it.
    ....Ask Questions... Its better to be a fool for 5 minutes than for the rest of your life...

n00bie On a Mission

Bike
    2010 1700 VOYGER
    My Mood
    Confused

have you looked at the aftermarket units like power commander and ign
    made a big difference to the 1700 s
    other than that the usa siteE VULCANRIDERS.com HAS A SECTION FOR THE 2lt and they are very helpfull

n00bie

Real Name
    Greg
    Bike
    2006 Vulcan 2000 Classic
    My Mood
    Confused

Thanks IF1960 for giving me a lead to follow. I rang him and he basically said this,

I have found out from top tuner here in Australia who has a 2004 and 2007 model 2000s, and he says on the dyno there is no difference that he could see in timing or performance on any of the models of vn2000s when they are stock.
    Myth 1: Kawasaki retarded the timing on later models after 2004 to detune them. False and Busted. Probably just did the gear timing retard to them I would say.

Now I contacted Power Commander and asked if the PCV with timing in one unit would work on 06 mod 2000 and they said, "Only 2008 and above" WRONG.
    This tuner I have spoken to, says it will fit all model 2000s, there is no ECU difference that stops them working on any model 2000, and he has personally fitted them to most models with no problems at all.
    ....Ask Questions... Its better to be a fool for 5 minutes than for the rest of your life...