Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Kawasaki GA5-A

I'm Getting There

Default Kawasaki GA5-A

I picked up a small bike to add to the restoration line today.
    I was initially under the impression it was a G5 but I think now it is a G3.
    It is in quite good condition for an old bike made in the early 70's. The only significant damage was the kick start had a broken spline. As the bike came with a complete spare engine, albeit off a dual speed farm type bike, I should be able to make a good engine out of the two and have plenty of spares left over.
    Some research is still needed to verify model against the frame and engine numbers.
    The Frame number is GA-342033 and the engine as fitted is G3E23836 The spare engine with the modified gearbox is G4E016967
    The photos of the engine were taken before any significant cleaning had taken place. It will look good when cleaned up properly.
    If anyone has any spares for this bike that are looking for a good home or for trade, please leave me a PM
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	G3_1.jpg 
Views:	480 
Size:	117.0 KB 
ID:	1978   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	G3_2.jpg 
Views:	818 
Size:	110.4 KB 
ID:	1979   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	G3_3.jpg 
Views:	459 
Size:	102.3 KB 
ID:	1980   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	G_4.jpg 
Views:	402 
Size:	106.0 KB 
ID:	1981  
    Last edited by OzMeanie; 26-09-07 at 07:26 PM.
    2004 Mean Streak
    Z1000

I Gotta Get Out More

Bike
    Honda GoldWing
    My Mood
    Breezy

Thumbs up

^^
    nice find there "OZ" , i see your getting a great collection together to restore of late ..

I'm Getting There

Default It's a GA5A !

With some help from Andrew at Brighton Kawasaki I was able to get the info I needed.

The bike is a GA5A

1971~1974
    100cc
    2 Stroke, 1 Cylinder
    Rotary Disc valve
    5 Speed Return Shift
    Maximum Horsepower: 11.5 HP @ 8,000RPM
    Spark Plug: NGK B7HS
    Tyre Size:
    Front: 2.50-18 4PR
    Rear: 2.75-18 4PR
    Colour:
    Fuel Tank: Candy Gold, Candy Blue, Melamine Candy Red
    Front Fender: Chrome
    Engine No.: G3E-000001~
    Frame No.: GA-200000~
    Parts catalogue No.: 99980-200 Plus 9997-514S
    Owners manual No.: 99997-548
    Remarks: Developed version of GA2A
    Design somewhat different

Note the spare engine is from a G4TR which is the On and Off road version fitted with knobby tyres. It had a quick change gearing mechanism that enabled 10-speed
    Engine No.: G4E000001~
    Frame No.: G4-000001~
    Last edited by OzMeanie; 29-08-07 at 12:20 PM.
    2004 Mean Streak
    Z1000

I'm Getting There

Geez,those pics brought back some very bittersweet memories for me.I learned to ride on a very similar type of Kawasaki in the very early seventies.The bike belonged to my cousin Joe,who,after surviving Vietnam,became a pilot,and then went to Darwin to help with the relief effort after Cyclone Tracey. He was riding the bike when he encountered a brush fire just south of Darwin,rode through the smoke,hit a traffic island and was sadly killed.He was one great guy.........RIP Joey.........It just goes to show that pictures not only tell a thousand words,they can also bring back a million memories. Cheers Jimmy

I'm Getting There

Default GA5-A Parts Manual

It has taken some time to find out more about the GA5-A or any of the early small cc Kawasaki road bikes. The dual purpose bikes were probably far more common and easier to find.
    With the help of Kristoffer S. who runs a web site in Sweden dedicated to these small cc Kawasaki bikes:
    HTML Code:
    http://user.tninet.se/%7Eokm435h/Kawasaki/D.A.S.ENgineering.html
    I obtained a copy of the Kawasaki 100:GA-5A Exclusive Parts List. The part number of the list is 99997-542 printed 20th March 1972
    The list should be used in conjunction with the GA-1,2,3 Parts Catalogue No. 99980-200 dated 10th Nov 1969
    Any parts not listed in the GA-5A supplement can be found in the other manual in the "GA-2" column

With the help of these manuals I have already obtained the majority of the parts needed to restore this little bike.
    Last edited by OzMeanie; 27-11-07 at 06:43 PM.
    2004 Mean Streak
    Z1000

I'm Getting There

Work is progressing on the GA5A. Lots of the parts needed have been found overseas and here in Australia. The bike has some parts that are exclusive to it. Most of the other parts are the same as the GA2
    The fuel tank had a couple of small dents in it and needed to be sealed inside as a precaution. Brian at Custom Colour has already started work on the tank. In the meantime the front forks and shocks have been removed.
    The forks looked to be in reasonable condition on the outside but when they were taken apart, one of the tubes was in very poor condition. Fortunately I have managed to find two new fork tubes. The rear shocks were very dirty and looked terminal, but surprisingly they still worked. They will be cleaned and polished and fitted back on the bike.
    The fork covers, shock covers, new side panels / covers headlight cover etc will be sent off this week for painting in the original candy blue.The fork and shock springs were cleaned and will go off for treatment before being reinstalled.
    The attached photos show the shocks minus the springs which were soaking in the parts cleaner and the rather poor condition of the front fork assemblies.

Name:	Shocks_1.jpg 
Views:	182 
Size:	42.0 KB 
ID:	2331   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Forks_1.jpg 
Views:	191 
Size:	61.1 KB 
ID:	2332  
    2004 Mean Streak
    Z1000

I Gotta Get Out More

Bike
    Honda GoldWing
    My Mood
    Breezy

Thumbs up

good to see things progressing , you got so many projects going @ once . you must have your hands full , thanks for sharing "OZ" ..

I'm Getting There

The inner fork tubes on the GA5A were in very poor condition. One especially was badly corroded. I had tried to find restorable tubes on eBay but it appear to be mission impossible. A month or so ago I actually located a brand new OEM set in the USA for about half the cost of having an old set re hard chromed. A friend and fellow restorer on this forum bought them back from the US for me … thanks Dale.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    2004 Mean Streak
    Z1000

n00bie

Hi OzMeanie

Just stubled on this thread when i was googling for "kawasaki GA".
    The internet is a small place...
    Cool to see my little sites adress appear on a australian site - on the other side of the world - and to see that your resto of the GA5-A is going well. You are moving faster than i am: i´ve had mine for 27 years and it still has not been properly restored.

Thanks for the adress to Agata. I have a bunch of n.o.s stuff for my GA2-A on the way from them right now.

Question: how did you manage to disassemble ther rear shocks???
    I have tried on mine but gotten nowhere.

Cya
    Kristoffer S
    D.A.S.ENgineering

I'm Getting There

To dissemble the rear shocks really requires a little help
    Remover the shock from the bike.
    Stand the shock upright and place the bottom on a bench, then pull down on the painted top cover. My top covers are away being painted so I cannot show you the complete assembly

Under the top is a thick washer with two flattened sides. An open ended spanner around 27mm or adjustable spanner is used to hold the washer and a steel rod or thick screw driver is then used to turn the top mounting of the shock. It should then just screw off

Name:	shock3.jpg 
Views:	152 
Size:	44.4 KB 
ID:	2546   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Shock 2.jpg 
Views:	174 
Size:	38.0 KB 
ID:	2547   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Shock 1.jpg 
Views:	157 
Size:	35.7 KB 
ID:	2548  
    Last edited by OzMeanie; 27-11-07 at 06:41 PM.
    2004 Mean Streak
    Z1000