n00bie

Real Name
    John
    Bike
    2011 1400GTR

Question GTR1400 ...Oh Yeah Tyres!

Brief History of the bike - Back 2011, Looking for a bike to do some weekend runs + the Yearly sojourn to Phillip Island after Back issues finally forced selling of Ducati Super sport. (Note must confess have soft spot for Kawasaki's, having owned four previously, KX125 - first race bike, Mach111 500.. road commuter + doubled as race bike ,story in itself, Late model GPZ 550 ZX, Finally ZZR1100). After testing numerous bikes finally Yamaha FJR, Honda ST1300.. was testing Honda when sales guy said also take our shop bike for a ride as comparison. 2009 GTR1400. Kawasaki know how to make a motor! SOLD on the spot. 2011 Black GTR, what a bike. talk about have your cake & eat it too.
    We digress...The tyres, coming off a sports bike the handling was a mystery but taking into consideration the size the thing still corners like on rails. However as the miles racked up the handling has diminished rapidly with the front becoming distorted badly on the right hand side not worn so much as badly feathered..looks like done a track day with all right hand corners!.
    anyway changing brand that's for sure. Any feedback would be grateful . I have always used Michelin Pilots on my sport bikes but Tourers I have no history to work with and every tyre manufacturer says "Ours are the best"

I'm Getting There

Real Name
    Steve
    Bike
    83 GPZ1100 GTR1000
    My Mood
    Amused

Hi John and welcome. Plenty of good useful info here. I don't think there are many GTR owners on here. I am not trying to steer you away from this forum but for info on tyres for the GTR give GTR-AUS forum a try. I am a member there also and since buying my GTR1000 have gotten plenty of good help from the GTR gurus.

I Gotta Get Out More

Bike

Put a set of Pilot Road 4 GT's on the Beemer R1200RT just before our trip to Tassie ... Cant give you a long term review yet only got about 2000k's on 'em but they handled very well. Grip and feel is excelent. Would expect the GTR has similar characteristics.

n00bie

Real Name
    John
    Bike
    2011 1400GTR

Thanks Steve, Ill take a wander over & see if I can get some good oil on the best rubber for the beast.

n00bie

Real Name
    John
    Bike
    2011 1400GTR

Hi Ian , Thanks also. My mate I travel to PI with each year has a 1200 RT - to tell you the truth not sure what he is running currently, but I know he can punt that thing along in the twisties.
    I have always had Michelins on my previous sport bikes and you always had very good communication on how the grip level was, so I'm leaning that way.

I'm Getting There

Real Name
    Edwin
    Bike
    GTR 1400 2008

I'm a GTR 1400 owner.
    The stock tyres suck as hell.
    I have 85000 k on the bike and always have Dunlop Roadsmarts.
    And let me tell you, with those tyres you take every curve with the footpads scraching over the tarmack.
    They give a verry good feedback and they are realible, even when its raining.
    For me and the GTR only Dunlop Roadsmart.