Motorcycle Spares Warehouse
    n00bie

Real Name
    Michael
    Bike
    ZRX1200R '90 GPz900

Default Melbourne to Perth

I'm planning a ride to Perth next year. Does anyone have experience of doing this trip - places to stay, things to look at etc,
    I'm thinking of 5 days to get there, a few in Perth and 5 to get back.
    Thoughts ???

Really Full Of It

Real Name
    Peter
    Bike
    05 Zrx 85 gpz750r 78 z650
    My Mood
    Doh

The Perth boys will give you the run down on that one michael.... They did wa,sa,vic,nsw... Don't know if they did Qld & back!
    78 z650 BOTM July 2012
    05 ZRX1200r BOTM December 2013

Only a Motorcyclist knows why a dog rides with his head out the car window

who gives a rats ar$e

Real Name
    james
    Bike
    1998 1500 nomad. green/gr
    My Mood
    Innocent

n00bie On a Mission

Real Name
    Nigel
    Bike
    1978 Z1R: 2006 ZX14

Done this trip a few times myself. 5 days will give you plenty of time and time to look around. There are plenty of fuel stops so you dont have to worry about that. Most of the stops have accommodation if thats what you want, personally Im a tent and sleeping bag person. If you ride hard the trip is only 2 days. Once you get to Norseman, you can go coastal or inland. Inland is shorter but not as scenic. Down to Esperence, across to Albany then through the forests of the south west meandering up to Perth. Inland via Kalgoorlie will take you with most of the traffic but is nice if you havnt been there before. Some good hotels in Kal with great food.

One of the towns I really liked for food was the Kimba Club in SA. Just a small town but with a great Club. The Nundru Road Kill Challenge was and interesting meal. 1Kg of beef and a free shirt if you eat it all. No probs for me but is a challenge for the small gutted person. Eucla Cliffs and surrounds are worth a look. Plenty of camp spots along the highway overlooking the cliffs. If you do the camping way, you get to meet a heap of grey nomads who always want to talk about the bikes they had. You hear some great stories. It's a great ride and Im itching to do it again with my boys. Enjoy.

Senior Member - WA Crew

Real Name
    Dave
    Bike
    2010 VN1700 Classic

Full Of It

Bike
    250 Proddy, ZX14 Ninja SE

If you have time I would do the coast way first as Denmark, Albany, The Glouster Tree and through the forest up to Perth is a great way. There are plenty more places like Dunsbrough etc. but it all depends on time.
    Some of the people we saw camping put their lilo and sleeping bag on top of the picnic table under the verandah's to keep off the ground and under cover. Cheap accommodation.
    If you can go to WA. you will have a great trip as it is a great place.
    pinitdontbinit

n00bie

Real Name
    Michael
    Bike
    ZRX1200R '90 GPz900

Thanks for the advice.
    I've been thinking about updating my bike from an 05 ZRX to a Ninja1000, I haven't actually ridden one but they seem like the closest thing to my old ZX9 '98 as there is these days.
    The ZRX looks great standing still, but is a real handful when chasing a lighter bike through the twisties.
    Has anyone out there ridden the Ninja 1000 and can advise me on what it is like for comfort? (even better if you can compare it to the ZRX or ZX9)

Full Of It

Bike
    250 Proddy, ZX14 Ninja SE

It doesn't really matter what bike that is newer it will be better as the brakes, suspension, electronics just get better and better.
    pinitdontbinit