Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tuning ZX14r

n00bie

Real Name
    Ash
    Bike
    06 Blackbird

Default Tuning ZX14r

Hi guys, this is Ash from Melbourne and I ride a 2014 14r which replaced my 2006 Blackbird. Although I love my bike I hate the fact that it's drastically detuned below 7000rpm and in the first few gears (or at least that's what I hear on forums).
    I'm not chasing serious top end power, I just want it to ride better from word go. At the moment I feel like it's restricted until I wring the throttle, and by then I'm going fast enough to make an appearance on the evening news.

Anyone you talk to recommend an exhaust and ecu flash - but it's more complicated than that. What ecu, what maps, tuned by who?? Most tuners talk about disconnecting the oxygen sensor and running slightly rich, raising the rev limiter and quarter mile times.

This misses the mark by a mile. I want the secondary throttle plates to open earlier and if it's detuned I want it back to it's capabilities throughout the revband.

I've done some research. The two types of products I've come aross are people who remap your ecu like Ivan's Performance Parts in New York who claims to be a pro with zx14rs, he rides one. You post him your ecu and you get it back flashed.

Then there's mobs like Woolich Racing in Brisbane. They send you something similar to a power commander with basic or template maps that you finetune with time.

Any one here on the same boat as me? Or just smarter and more educated with ecus able to offer some advice.
    Sorry about the constant winging about my bike.

Full Of It

Bike
    250 Proddy, ZX14 Ninja SE

Talk to Ghost Riders or DynoVerks and they should be able to help with what you want. Re flashing your ecu is one way or just leave it and purchase a power commander or Bazzaz system, remove the secondaries (will be a bit sharper) and have it Dyno'd. A custom map will give you what you are looking for (more low down) but costs a little more. Mine is set up for it rev hard for the power (at the top end) as that is when I am asking for something to really happen. The rest of the time it can just slug along at low revs as it doesn't really bother me.
    Good luck with you tuning.
    pinitdontbinit

n00bie

Real Name
    Ash
    Bike
    06 Blackbird

G'day Slowpoke, who is Ghost Riders and Dyno Verks? Members here or local tuning shops?

The ecu remap from America seems the easiest but they run open loop and I doubt they care about fuel economy, ridablity or range. And the problem is I won't be able to alter it if need be.

I remember you telling me about your bike making top end power. I'm not fussed either way as long as it's not forcefully detuned low down. Have you heard this about the factory tune? I'm wondering if it's true.

Seems absurd that someone would make a 1450cc motorcycle and then restrict power, then again my old bike revved much happier

n00bie

Real Name
    Ash
    Bike
    06 Blackbird

And what do you mean by remove secondaries with regards to the power commander?

AKRF Is My Life

Real Name
    matt
    Bike
    vn1500custom/82 gsx1100
    My Mood
    Paranoid

hey ash,slowpoke was referring to ghostriders & dynoverks which are both bike shops,now i wont talk about dynoverks as i have never used them personally but romi down at ghostriders is a mate of mine & he is the best kept secret around when it comes to performance tuning.
    If your not happy with the standard tune & you plan to do some mods then get ya self a pc 3-4 & a dyno tune.Plenty of people go those piggyback type units or re-mapping but they can only deliver so much & still within the standard parameters whereas a pc will allow any tune you desire including down low performance.
    dont mistake my kindness for weakness i am kind to everyone,but when someone is unkind to me,weak is not what you are going to remember about me.........Al Capone

n00bie

Real Name
    Ash
    Bike
    06 Blackbird

Thanks. Do you know where they are? Melbourne? ?

AKRF Is My Life

Real Name
    matt
    Bike
    vn1500custom/82 gsx1100
    My Mood
    Paranoid

5 motto crt hoppers crossing ash.
    dont mistake my kindness for weakness i am kind to everyone,but when someone is unkind to me,weak is not what you are going to remember about me.........Al Capone

Full Of It

Bike
    250 Proddy, ZX14 Ninja SE

Quote Originally Posted by Gasolinejunkie View Post
    And what do you mean by remove secondaries with regards to the power commander?
    Removal of the secondary butterflies which do mellow the power application.
    Sorry I didn't get back to seeing this but Easy has given you the address of Ghost Riders and DynoVerks are in Boronia if I recall.
    Cheers
    pinitdontbinit

n00bie

Real Name
    Ash
    Bike
    06 Blackbird

Thanks a million guys you've been really helpful, I'll keep you posted on how I go. I asked people on the zx14r Facebook group about this and they didn't like me saying the zx14r wasn't perfect.
    I spoke to someone in Ghost Riders and he knew what he was talking about. They said $800 for a power commander and tune which is pretty reasonable.
    I think I'm still leaning towards the Woolich Racing chip & autologger. I ddon't quite understand it but it's programmable and easy to play with, they recommend tuning it on the street for real world results. I can always take it to a tuner if I'm not happy with my work. But I'm told you get a desired map to follow and can make changes to it.

Sorry, I didn't understand secondaries, I'm slow in the head.
    The tuner I spoke to in America said he leaves them open, Woolrich Racing reckons you'll need to close them at low throttle and Ghost Riders said it's too powerful to be ridden on the street with the secondaries taken out.
    I guess having complete control over them will be better than the removing them (I'm sure they're a pig to get to)

I'm just hoping the tune would make a considerable difference with too many downsides like terrible fuel economy or chewed up tyres.

AKRF Is My Life

Real Name
    matt
    Bike
    vn1500custom/82 gsx1100
    My Mood
    Paranoid

i know this is gunna sound like an advert for ghostriders {& it will have been romi you spoke to ash coz there is only him & his apprentice that works there & the loverly cristina on the phones} but for my 2c tell romi what you want then go with his advice,i have been around bikes all my life & on this forum for too many yrs & there are a heap of blokes that tell you what they can do & most of them are full of crap & in alot of cases guys just end up chasing their tails when it comes tunes/set ups,you very rarely hear of the negatives because guys dont want to tell you they got ripped off or didnt achieve what they wanted because their mechanic was shite,romi wont bullshite you or let you walk away feeling like you could have done better but in the same breath consider when he tells you something its gunna be spot on.I have seen some pretty wild bikes ride out of his workshop{mine included!!! of course} like the 300hp v-max he did,now that was a weapon for the street,he know what he`s do`n & is a top bloke to boot.......tell him i sent ya if you take ya bike to him & he will probly charge ya double!!! lol