Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    I'm Getting There

Real Name
    Aaron
    Bike
    1989 ZX750H

Aha I have found a wee bit of an issue I found that the positive battery lead had some lovely green lookin stuff on it lol What gets me though is I have already cleaned this cable and connections then used abit of vas for protective barrier (its always worked on the car so figured it would be the same for the bike)anyway I have sprayed with wd40 hit it up with boiling water and have the lead sitting in some corrosion inhibiter and rust remover so hopefully this will get the green corrosion out and then I will go and get some die-electric grease as it has been mentioned time and time again so I figure its probably time I go and bite the bullet so to speak as I have heard it can be expensive.
    Hey I have a 3 in 1 silicon spray lube from wd40 would this be suitable for the same protection? It says rust corrosion protection and so on so forth so would this be the same kind of thing as the die-electric grease?

Full Of It

Bike
    250 Proddy, ZX14 Ninja SE

I would use the die-electric grease on all the connections as it sounds like it needs it as the wiring has corrosion issues already. Not sure about the silicon spray lube as I haven't used it before. Any electrical gremlins can really spoil the bike and get you frustrated.
    pinitdontbinit

Full Of It

Bike

Brian if you are going to do track days with even the posibility of a race then every chance you can get practice a race start as this is not allowed at race days and it can really help to get away with the pack. It is a real skill to get off the line really fast as my son helped me with a few issues and you can make up lots of places early on. JMHO.
    pinitdontbinit

I'm Getting There

Quote Originally Posted by SLOWPOKE View Post
    I would use the die-electric grease on all the connections as it sounds like it needs it as the wiring has corrosion issues already. Not sure about the silicon spray lube as I haven't used it before. Any electrical gremlins can really spoil the bike and get you frustrated.
    Aaron, I agree with slowpoke. If you go to an auto electrican he should be able to sell you a small tube of di-electric grease. If he's descent he might even give you a bit. I've never used the silicon spray either, but it would be better than nothing i guess.
    ZXR 750

I'm Getting There

Quote Originally Posted by SLOWPOKE View Post
    Brian if you are going to do track days with even the posibility of a race then every chance you can get practice a race start as this is not allowed at race days and it can really help to get away with the pack. It is a real skill to get off the line really fast as my son helped me with a few issues and you can make up lots of places early on. JMHO.
    Thanks for the advice mate. I had thought about practicing race starts but i've been told they frown on this at track days. What's been your experience?
    ZXR 750

Full Of It

Bike

Yes they do frown on it at track days and race days so the place to do it is when you leave the pit exit and they have you sitting there waiting for your tires to cool down from the warmers and then they signal you to go that is when I and most others set up and GO!!!
    Coaching days are sometimes good for this as our club let you do it at the start of a session and any time leaving the pit road.
    I once did a day on another bike I had at a coaching day and we did like 30 starts (cost me a clutch) but learnt heaps being on the limiter and then feed the clutch to it, makes a good start when you get it hooked up.
    pinitdontbinit

n00bie

Real Name
    Jason
    Bike
    ZXR 750 1994

Aaron if you are going to race in a declared P6 event you'll need a logbook, not hard to get just be guided by MoMs. Also, if you set it up for P6 but might also be eligible or want to enter in modern events (depending on the club might also be eligible for pre modern, some guys run in over 600's moderns just to get extra laps) then strictly speaking you need to comply with that class also - usually not a problem but for example we can run avgas in P6 but mods can't, you can run period fonts in P6 but moderns have to be ariel bold, little things like that. Usually not big issues and you may be get to run anyway, people usually only protest if its blatant, unsafe or you're a front running bike which might be deemed to have an unfair advantage. I raced a P6 750 from 2007-12 and it is a great class. If you're not too worried about preserviing the bike as is, I suggest getting as much weight off it as possible, which means hacking brackets off and the like. I got 25kg+ off my bike and there was more to go. If you can't manage specialty lightweight wheels then I'm pretty sure later ZX6 wheels are much lighter, and are of a style that is of the period. The best things I did to my bike were suspension, quick action throttle, changing it to total loss and lightweight wheels, probably in that order.
    Last edited by Fifer5; 11-02-14 at 10:35 AM.

Full Of It

Bike

Hi Fifer5, did you race at the Island in the historics on the WSBK program??
    pinitdontbinit

n00bie

Real Name
    Jason
    Bike
    ZXR 750 1994

No, but my old bike had been entered by the fellow who bought it. Sadly he lost his life in a road accident a week after the Island Classic but had already entered the WSBK supports. I only saw one P6 bike running, a ZXR he did a pretty handy time for a stocker, a 48.2. I had a couple of mates racing there, one on a P5 and one in Superstocks, got lucky on a paddock pass, caught up with some old mates who were down from Sydney I hadn't seen for a long long long time and generally had a lovely weekend. I know the vibe around the place was that it didn't have the same spark as previously, crowd numbers were well down etc but I liked it more than MotoGP and that was even before we hit Sunday.

Full Of It

Bike

I wasn't sure so thought I would ask, but the 48.2 is a good time.
    Yes the racing was good but the crowd was crap and I think that is because it is only on cable tv so lots of people have dropped off following them.
    Some nice examples in the historical bike race especially the Onda 6cyl. which sounded awesome.
    pinitdontbinit