Motorcycle Spares Warehouse
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    I'm Getting There

Real Name
    Aaron
    Bike
    1989 ZX750H

Default Info on New era racing Period 6

Hi all, I was having a chat with the old boy who is still down in Melbourne after going to the vintage and classic bike race (forget the name of the event I had the site up the other day but memory is fleeting lol)
    Any way for the new era it is to be from 83 to 90 and it got dad and I thinking about the bikes I have in my shed, the only 2 that would suit the catagory is the 86 gpx 750 and the 89 zx 750 h1 and I am looking for some insight on which would make the better track bike for this catagory.

I dont want to chop it up and the likes as that would defeat the point in putting it into this kind of group so am trying to figure out which would be the better to use for desired purpose.
    Any advice or info would be appreciated please.

Cheers guys.

[comfortably numb]

Real Name
    Richard Cranium.
    Bike
    Never you mind
    My Mood
    Aggressive

Last edited by gpz750turbo; 27-01-14 at 10:36 AM.

I'm Getting There

Real Name
    Aaron
    Bike
    1989 ZX750H

Yeah after reading that I am leaning more and more towards the zx plus I have spares like another set of clip ons and a few other bits and pieces too

Full Of It

Bike
    250 Proddy, ZX14 Ninja SE

The ZX is the only one to race in Period 6 as it is a much more track style bike than the GPX.
    Have fun racing this old beast but I know you will anyway.
    pinitdontbinit

I'm Getting There

Real Name
    Aaron
    Bike
    1989 ZX750H

Mate since dad and I have been talking about it I havent been able to get the grin off my dial I was out there before my coffee this morning taking plastics off and starting to get into the nitty gritty and I am actually looking forward to the long road ahead.

I'm Getting There

Real Name
    Aaron
    Bike
    1989 ZX750H

Any ideas on what I can do as far as performance goes? I was already thinking the norm eg jetted carbs and braided lines but can I have a hone, over size rings & pistons and port and polish done without breaking any guidelines? It will still all be original zx.

Full Of It

Bike

Race Glass with catch tray and 25mm dia rubber plugs
    Make sure you do the correct race numbers, size, font and colour of background as they check.
    Braided Lines
    Rear Set Pegs
    good disc pads for racing
    new set of the allowed tires.
    Tire warmers
    Paddock stands
    good accurate tire gauge
    Full race exhaust
    Rejet carbs to suit exhaust
    Clip ons
    quick action throttle
    Wire up all brake caliper bolts, sump plug coolant plug.
    No coolant in radiator as they spot check from time to time.
    Silicon race brake fluid
    Dyno tuned to suit
    Shark fin
    Lightweight race battery
    Steering dampener
    on board lap timer
    Make sure you have a helmet that when you are hard on the tank (chin) you can see out the top of the visor to see where you are going. Sounds funny but if you can't then you will notice people lift there head a little and this aint fast and doesn't encorage you to keep it down as much as you can.
    Fuel measuring can and a pump to remove the fuel (you measure your usage so you only take on board enough for the race.)
    A set of sprockets for different tracks as we all have different gearing likes.
    get the suspension modified to suit you ( if you can afford it but is a big + if you can)
    Download a copy of the moms for 2014 and this states all of the allowances. Supps can override some of the moms it just depends on the event.
    Depending on the skill level you have then engine mods can be a good thing but if you are not right up there then keep it stock and fresh first and work on the suspension as this plays a huge part in keeping it on the black stuff and later as you progress and learn and when you can absolutely nail it then work on the GO PARTS.
    JMHO.
    Hope this helps a little.
    PS. Oh and get fit as it will test you.
    pinitdontbinit

Full Of It

Bike
    pinitdontbinit

I'm Getting There

Real Name
    Aaron
    Bike
    1989 ZX750H

Cheers mate your a bloody legend

I'm Getting There

G'day Aaron,

As said by the others... the ZXR is the only choice out of the 2 you mention. I've owned a GPX750, '89 ZXR750 and various other ZXR's. The '89 ZXR was Kawasaki's first real attack on the oposition... Honda's RC30, Yamaha's OW01 and Susuki's GSXR750RR. Back in the day you could also buy the race 'kit' from Kawasaki which had lots of goodies.

My track bike project is progressing very slowly, trying to fit it in with everything else on my plate at the moment. I'll do a bit of an update in my thread.

There's plenty that you can do to improve the bike and make it handle better, brake better and make it lighter. I wouldn't worry too much about engine work at this stage, just get it on the track

Finding race parts for these old bikes is getting difficult but even in stock form with good suspension, good brakes and good tyres you'll have a ball. I'm looking forward to seeing your progress.

Brian
    Last edited by zxrmad; 29-01-14 at 11:19 PM.
    ZXR 750