Dean
    Bike
    2010 KLR 650
    My Mood
    Twisted

Unhappy 49cc Quad Bike - stops after 10 minutes of riding

Hi all

wonder if I could pick your brains.

I purchased a 49cc Quad bike off ebay for my son for xmas & all was going ok for a few weeks then it started to develop issues, became hard to start & once it got going it would stop after about 10 minutes of riding. It got to the point where it wouldnt even start the other day.

Well I think I figured the starting issue, was running it too rich & the spark plug was black as dogs balls, so have taken that out & changed it over for a NGK plug today & bam started first go, but then after 10 minutes of the boy ripping it up in the backyard it just stopped & havent been able to start it again yet today.

Did a bit of google searching & some people suggested in other threads people had posted with same issue that the jets/carb could have some junk it it blocking the fuel ?

This really is all kinda chinese to me (well the quad is chinese anyways) , what you all think ? Beyond my abilities, bite the bullet & just take it to a bike shop & see if they will look at it ? I did get it for pretty cheap, only $200 new on auction so I did expect it to have a few issues occassionally as its not a high end quad bike.

Below is a link to the quad I purchased

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/49CC-ATV-...80fef34&_uhb=1

Update, well after leaving it for about 4 hours, I just got it started first go, some more reading says it also could overheat if Im running too lean or its a hot day ?

Im currently running it at 30-1 , the book said to run it in at 50-1 for 3 tanks & then change to anywhere between 25-1 to 35-1, I got that wrong & was running too rich as stated above when running it in as the little fuel bottle it came with for mixing has on it a 500ml line which says Fuel, then a line that says 50-1 so I just added oil to that line, only to discover that was adding like over 70ml of oil to 500ml of petrol which is way too much (stupid me, stupid chinese bottle), I did at least 1 tank at that rate before getting the mixture right.
    Last edited by crazynites74; 22-01-14 at 03:37 PM.
    Current: 2010 Kawasaki KLR 650

Previous: 1996 Kawasaki KX 250, 1985 Honda XL 185

Full Of It

Bike
    250 Proddy, ZX14 Ninja SE

Check all the jets etc. as they usually don't clean them out very well after manufacture. Once clean and everything set correctly then if not ok move to the electrical but I'd put my money on the carb.
    Good luck with the fix.
    pinitdontbinit

n00bie On a Mission

Real Name
    Dean
    Bike
    2010 KLR 650
    My Mood
    Twisted

Well he just had a ride then for about 15 minutes with no problems, might have to ask a mate if he can come over as I got no idea on how to play with the jets, & with my big hands its a bit tricky, just getting the spark plug out was a challenge.

Thanks for the reply.

Update, really dont seem to be playing up now, Jakob just had a ride for about 30 minutes, went thru a full tank of petrol without any issues, maybe it overheated today after putting the new spark plug in which was obviously a issue.
    Last edited by crazynites74; 22-01-14 at 06:32 PM.

n00bie On a Mission

Real Name
    Matt
    Bike
    2012 VN900 Custom
    My Mood
    Relaxed

I've had one of these cheap quads (not same brand as yours) for years and never had an issue, even had the kids rammed it headon into a tree. I reckon it's probably just something simple, invite old mate over for a few beers and he'll have it fixed in no time.

n00bie On a Mission

Real Name
    Dean
    Bike
    2010 KLR 650
    My Mood
    Twisted

Seeing as we had a trouble free run this afternoon, I'll see how it goes.

Here's some short videos of him riding his quad.

http://www.kawariders.com.au/showthr...is-first-crash