Thread: KLX400/DRZ400S

n00bie On a Mission

Bike
    1987 Kawasaki GPz750, 2001 Yamaha Vstar 650, 1989 Suzuki DR800
    My Mood
    Relaxed

Default KLX400/DRZ400S

Hi guys,

Next week I'mk off to my cousin's farm to work on the two 2009 DRZ-400S bikes and I'm after some advice before I head off. I've posted here because I understand that these are the same bike as the KLX400 except for paint. Specifically thinks like special tools that I may need to take or techniques to use.

On bike #1, before Christmas we changed the sprockets and chain. All went well. During this process after we pulled the front sprocket off, we found a bunch of thing wire wrapped between the sprocket and case. During last week Peter has been riding the bike and says it has been leaking a lot of oil and his guess is that the output shaft seal is worn and perhaps we pierced it when we pulled out the wire. So if I can ask for confirmation, does this sound right?

The next job is to replace the stator. I've ordered and received pretty quick the high-output stator from procycles.us and it looks good. I did not think to order a gasket for the clutch cover. In your experience do I need one?

Besides the specific questions above, any general advice on this process before I get too carried away?

Thanks,

Shane
    Currently restoring a GPz750
    Yamaha V-Star 650
    Yamaha XT225 Serow
    Suzuki DR800

I'm Getting There

Real Name
    Aaron
    Bike
    1989 ZX750H

mate as far as the gasket goes get an old Kellogs or weetbix box and make one and the out put shaft seal could have been pierced or even rubbed through with the wire pending on how long it had been on for etc. Might pay to get some hi temp gasket goo aswell just in case you need to split anymore of the side cases etc.

I'm Getting There

Real Name
    Aaron
    Bike
    1989 ZX750H

Not to sure about the seal though is it one that will push in from the front or do you need to split the cases to get the seal in and out? I know its a different beast but the zzr250 output shaft I was able to put in from the front without having to take anything apart bar the front sprocket case so not to sure if you are able to do the same or not sorry obviously I had to take the front sprocket off aswell
    Last edited by Aaron81; 11-01-14 at 10:04 AM. Reason: missed info

n00bie On a Mission

Bike
    My Mood
    Relaxed

Hi everyone,

Wanted to get back to you on the two Drz 400s 's on the farm. Thanks for all the advice because they are both now aok. Bike 1 output shaft seal went fine. We also did the o ring and spacer to be sure and put on a new guard/retainer. Bike running well.

Bike 2 stator replaced easily and the old gasket was fine, so now we have a spare. Went with the aftermarket stator from procycles.uk as they are $139.00 and oem from Suzuki are $800.00. A few people said to be careful of heat. These bikes only get8 ridden for about 30 minutes max each time whilst working cattle and generally only ten minutes between the workshop and various tractors and harvesters. But we will move to a better quality oil as well to be sure. We had to pull apart the starter torque limiting clutch as the shaft was stuck in the case. This is supposed to be a non-serviceable item, but all you needis a huge vice, some bolts or steel to act as presses and a cousin who knows what he is doing ( Peter, not me).

n00bie On a Mission

Bike
    My Mood
    Relaxed

One more question. Now that the bikes are going, Peter has been looking a the lowering links from Ballards. I'm not too keen as I heard that they upset the geometry and the steering. Some other forums posts have mention tyre rubbking on mudguards, rocks hitting feet etc. Any ideas, feedback and other bits of wisdom?

Thanks,

Shane
    Currently restoring a GPz750
    Yamaha V-Star 650
    Yamaha XT225 Serow
    Suzuki DR800

I'm Getting There

Real Name
    Aaron
    Bike
    1989 ZX750H

Good to hear it all went well as far as the lowering links go I wouldnt do it I remember living on the farm and running cattle etc and you have to be real careful hey, with the uneven ground and wash outs and the likes you really want the height for clearance purposes, but this is a field I am not fluent in just my opinion