Motorcycle Spares Warehouse

Thread: KX500 Frame ID

n00bie

Real Name
    Change Me
    Bike
    KX500 04

Default KX500 Frame ID

Hi all ! Good site you have here. Been poking through and allready found som good info. Right Question Time. I have a 2004 KX500 I am going to motard. Which lead me to thing what fun it would be to have as a road goer as well. Problem is the bike is originally from over your way. I imported as a 3 week old bike back in 04. To rego it over here (NZ) the frame needs to be a NZ new bike. And I need to be able to show docs to prove it. Got a 2nd hand mint frame of the net. Trouble is there is no VIN #. Only a model description and 6 digit number after that. Is there a decoding rule that I can use to determine.... well anything about it ? Im sure its from a 96. The importer here seems useless, only interested in new sales. All I need to find out is if this frame was imported as a new bike in the country. Surely somewhere there are records to show this. Any direction would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers, Tim.

I'm Getting There

Real Name
    Aaron
    Bike
    1989 ZX750H

Hey Tim, firstly welcome mate, secondly with the bike you bought from over here is there anyway you can take it with paper work and have the compliance plate certified to give it the clearance you need to have it recognised? If you bought it new and have the import papers and proof of purchase you may be able to find a engineer to be able plate it as an import through them if you know what I mean.

n00bie

Real Name
    Change Me
    Bike
    KX500 04

Hey Aaron. Cheers for the welcome ! Apparently it HAS to be a NZ new bike to qualify. Dont ask me why... Reason 2 is that the cradle area of the frame has become quite thin due to beach riding and either have to patch it up or, the easier option, swap the bike into another frame.

This 96 frame is near mint. Either way its going to get sodium blasted and repainted. Rest of the bike is in fairly good condition, just the way I like my Kawies !

I'm Getting There

Real Name
    Aaron
    Bike
    1989 ZX750H

well mate considering the wear on the frame it would be in your best interest to swap you know for safety reasons alone. Hard to believe there isnt a number on the frame behind the front lighting panel, there is a way to work out the bike and year and where it was manufactured by using the set of numbers but I am unsure on where to find the key, I was told once upon a time on how to do it but the memory is vague, sorry i cant be of more help I will keep an eye out in my research.

I'm Getting There

Real Name
    Aaron
    Bike
    1989 ZX750H

Hey not to sure if it will help, if there is a full vin number stamped into the frame on the fork support then go to here and type it in and it may give you some more info to be able to google "AnalogX" It was pretty helpful while trying to identify a yamaha yz with no C/P