'; ?>
    n00bie

Real Name
    Kit
    Bike
    2012 Ninja 250

Smile Single seat conversion for '12 Ninja 250

Hi gang,

I couldn't find a recent thread about the single seat conversion for doing your rego here in Brisbane, maybe my search-fu is weak.
    so I thought I'd start a new one.

Basically, I've just bought my bike and paid for 6 months rego. But in reading through some of the older threads, I came across one where it said that you'd pretty much halve your rego cost if you got the conversion done for around 2-hundy.
    As i'm still on my restrictions for the next 12 months (i.e. 0 BAC, no pillion) and I'm not looking at taking a passenger for a while after that even, i'm wanting to have the conversion done.

Can anyone point me in the direction of a shop that could sort us out?

Cheers!

I'm Getting There

I have a couple bikes registered as single seat. It is quite a saving at $236.40 for 12 months. In order to convert a bike from pillion to single seat you need to cut the seat down and remove the pillion pegs and cut off any mounts for the pillion pegs so they can't be re-fitted. I'm not familiar with the seat configuration on the Ninja 250. If it has a long 1 piece seat it'll need to be cut down. If you know an upholsterer they should be able to do this. If it's got 2 separate seats you can just remove the rear seat. Either way you need to either fill the hole left with a cover of some sort or buy/ make a single seat body unit.

Maybe ask around the bike shops there, someone may be able to help you.

Cheers,
    Brian
    ZXR 750

I'm Getting There

Once done, the bike will also have to pass an inspection and have a modification plate fitted.
    ZXR 750

n00bie

Real Name
    Kit
    Bike
    2012 Ninja 250

Quote Originally Posted by zxrmad View Post
    Once done, the bike will also have to pass an inspection and have a modification plate fitted.
    gotcha! thanks for the feedback zxrmad.

I'm Getting There

You're welcome. Let us know how you get on.
    ZXR 750

n00bie On a Mission

Real Name
    Glenn
    Bike
    2009 ZX10R
    My Mood
    Cheerful

Most bike shops can fit a mod plate (single seat conversion).
    I got mine done by Brian Harper ......http://www.motorcycleroadworthys.com.au/.
    Brian is mobile & can come to your house which suited me better. He is more expensive than going to a shop but you pay for the convenience plus he will fit the plate where you want.
    You will need to remove the rear pegs/mounts & fit a single seat cowl.
    When renewing registration you will need to take bike to a Department of Transport office for inspection.
    I think it is a good idea if you plan not to pillion anyone & also keep the bike long term(good savings $$ over the years).
    If you plan on upgrading in the next year or so i wouldn't bother.

n00bie

Real Name
    Kit
    Bike
    2012 Ninja 250

Quote Originally Posted by green-meanie View Post
    Most bike shops can fit a mod plate (single seat conversion).
    I got mine done by Brian Harper ......http://www.motorcycleroadworthys.com.au/.
    Brian is mobile & can come to your house which suited me better. He is more expensive than going to a shop but you pay for the convenience plus he will fit the plate where you want.
    You will need to remove the rear pegs/mounts & fit a single seat cowl.
    When renewing registration you will need to take bike to a Department of Transport office for inspection.
    I think it is a good idea if you plan not to pillion anyone & also keep the bike long term(good savings $$ over the years).
    If you plan on upgrading in the next year or so i wouldn't bother.

thanks greenie! i've got no plans currently to upgrade, but the majority of the threads I've read about people having bought a 250 as their first bike, they all say that they outgrew it after a few months so... i'm not sure if that will apply to me as i'm really just looking at using the bike to commute but you never know...

I'm Getting There

Real Name
    Aaron
    Bike
    1989 ZX750H

Look being new to the bike and the added extras the new bikes bring I would say the bike you have will be just fine for you for the next 12 months atleast, at the end of the time if you feel you have outgrown the bike the you have a couple of choices you can trade in (and get ripped off) sell it privately and maybe get back some decent coin to go to the next bike or find some one who can work the engine and get a new lease of life out of the bike, it all depends on how you feel when the time comes. Just keep in mind customizing and engine work can get very expensive so make sure you go into whatever you choose with a plan or you will end up behind the 8ball so to speak, as for people to do the single seat compliance theres quite a few on the BRC dont get me wrong I am not trying to get you away from this forum and this crew as they are all excellent people and the forum is a fun relaxing place to be. Crap the amount of information I have learnt and the people I have had the privilege of meeting have been such a refreshing change from the places where people dont give a rats about anyone but themselves if you know what I mean. Apart from that there is always Moss street they have everything along there