Victorian Motorcycle Wreckers
    n00bie

Default 7"(ish) sealed beam; where get one?

Not Kawasaki related but need help with older parts???

I had someone u-turn infront of me a number of weeks back and I put my '79 GS550 down the road. I've repaired most the damage except I can't seem to find a 7"(ish) (it's actually 185mm across?) sealed beam light to replace the broken one?

Yes, I know that sealed beams are hopeless but by design I don't ride this bike in the dark (approx 30km ride at 100km/h through roo-infested bush to get home) so that doesn't worry. What does is trying to get a globe to fit correctly in the existing, original headlight assembly. Most halogen/semi-sealed beams I've seen can't use the existing bucket assembly.

Any ideas?

n00bie

The one originally on the GS has "motorcycle" embossed on the glass, so I was assuming it was different to a car one?

Really Full Of It

Real Name
    Glenn B.
    Bike
    Honda CB450 Cafe....to be
    My Mood
    Relaxed

All the same as far as I know. Repco (and probably most other auto parts stores) also keep them...around $19 last time I bought one for a Z9
    Gone over to Honda but still have a few Z1 parts

n00bie

Quote Originally Posted by Zed900 View Post
    All the same as far as I know. Repco (and probably most other auto parts stores) also keep them...around $19 last time I bought one for a Z9
    Great .. I've got two car sealed beams. What's the worse that can happen .. I overload the electrics? Nah .. old aircooled Suzuki GS's are notoriously reliable for electrics aren't they?

n00bie

Real Name
    Bruce
    Bike
    Zephyr1100 amongst others

Oz, I used to be tight bottom too, hang on, still are. Well except for the gas escape but that is really high pressure. If you have a choice always use the left headlight from a car, it has a better light pattern i.e more concentrated and a little higher with a good side cutoff to prevent light leakage off the side of the road. You might notice a cars right light is a little lower and more spread out. Or maybe you don't give a rats about cars.
    A 55 watt car light sucks as much as a genuine 55 watt zuki light