Real Name
    Bill
    Bike
    2012 Z1000
    My Mood
    Buzzed

Default Tyre reccomendations

Hi Everyone,

I hope everyone had a very Merry Christmas, and has a safe and happy New Year. I'd like to hear some recommendations for new tyres for my Z1000. I'm very happy with both the wear and perfomance of the Original Pirelli Diablo Rosso tyres but have been told they are not made any more. I'd like to get something that will give me the same handling and performance and similar milage. I've done about 4500k's on them and they still have a lot to go. Will probably need replacing by 7000 to 8000. I'm happy to consider other brands, for some reason I don't like the look of the Pirelli Diablo Rosso II (2) which seems to be the replacement for my original tyres.
    Cheers, stay safe and do it now or you'll be that much older when you do, and if it feels good - do it

2012 Z1000....BOTM September 2013

[comfortably numb]

Real Name
    Richard Cranium.
    Bike
    Never you mind
    My Mood
    Aggressive

Last edited by gpz750turbo; 29-12-12 at 08:31 PM.

n00bie On a Mission

Real Name
    Glenn
    Bike
    2009 ZX10R
    My Mood
    Cheerful

Quote Originally Posted by gpz750turbo View Post
    Bill ....tire choice is a very personal thing and what I use may not suit others.

But can tell you that this guy rides pretty hard he recommends "Metzeler Sportec M5 Interact Tires". http://www.metzeler.com/site/com/pro...Sportecm5.html

quote:
    I am on about - oh- my 7th set of M5's , I think its fair to say they are bloody great. They work on my ZRX and they work on my Z1000, fast road, cold track doesn't matter, wet either, it doesn't matter they do everything better than I need.

That quote would have to be Phil.

As Dave says tyre choice is a personal thing.

At the moment i am running Continental RoadAttack 2's. These are considered a "sport touring" tyre. I wanted a good all rounder as i do a mixture of commuting & the odd spirited run over some local mountain roads so both tyre wear & grip are important factors for me. They are wearing well plus plenty of front end grip to give good confidence in the twisties and handle the power of the ZX10R well in my opinion.

http://www.conti-online.com/generato...ttack2_en.html

AKRF Is My Life

Real Name
    matt
    Bike
    vn1500custom/82 gsx1100
    My Mood
    Paranoid

i would go for the round black ones my self
    dont mistake my kindness for weakness i am kind to everyone,but when someone is unkind to me,weak is not what you are going to remember about me.........Al Capone

[comfortably numb]

Real Name
    Richard Cranium.
    Bike
    Never you mind
    My Mood
    Aggressive

n00bie On a Mission

Real Name
    Tim
    Bike
    2011 ZX-10R
    My Mood
    Tired

Bill......Iam currently running Dunlop sportsmart, on my ZX-10 a very good tyre no problems, good grip in the dry and wet, and at the time of purchase
    Dunlop were doing a promotion, so I guess price was the main reason.
    The original tyres were Bridgestone Battlax excellent tyre as well. I guess any tyre these days from the main players are going to do the job
    so good luck with your choice, keep us posted on your choice.
    Cheers
    Tim.

Really Full Of It

Real Name
    Anthony Soutar
    Bike
    ZX1502-6 & ZX14R
    My Mood
    Cheerful

Mate I am running Pilot Powers back and front which I am very pleased with. If I was keeping the bike I would put a Pilot Pure on the back. With my new ZX14R I am having a Pilot Power up front and a Pilot Pure on the rear before I pick her up.

Cya Dutchy
    THE ROTFATHER EST 2008

(SIOSSC's)

http://www.facebook.com/groups/346189288739617/?fref=ts

"If you want to piss on big tree's then you have to be a big dog"

BOTM WINNER
    Z1502-6 May 2010
    Z1000SX Ninja May 2011
    Z1502-6 Jul 2011
    Z1502-6 Jan 2012
    The Fat Controller & PP Mar 2012
    Gpz head on. Dec 2012
    ZX14R Jan 2014

Resident BS Artist

Real Name
    Kim
    Bike
    Hodaka RT-750
    My Mood
    Cheerful

I ran Conti Road Attack 2's previous to the current set and they were fantastic, feedback as if my brain was glued to the road. I ran the centre down before the edges as I ride the bike around town for work and don't get enough twisty action.

I've got Avon Storm 2 Ultras on at the moment. They are mixed compound, harder centre for better distance. Not quite the glued-on feedback feeling but they hold on just as well as the Contis. The rear tyre is burning all the way to the edge so it's holding well at extreme lean angles. Part of me still wants to go back to the Contis.