Just Hobbies
    n00bie

Real Name
    Kevin
    Bike
    1986 GPZ 750

Default 86 GPZ750 (air cooled)

Ok so here is for my first help post.

I am a total noob when it comes to bikes. So i just bought my first bike its this 1986 gpz 750 made from the left overs of an 85 i think as the 86 onwards were water cooled.

Now i have a problem.the bike was used as a winter hack before and needs a new wiring loom/Wiring Harness.

Will the Harness from a 1986 GPZ 900 be a straight swap, and could i use a harness from an 83 gpz 750 without having to make any modifications?

[comfortably numb]

Real Name
    Richard Cranium.
    Bike
    Never you mind
    My Mood
    Aggressive

n00bie

Real Name
    Kevin
    Bike
    1986 GPZ 750

yeah i saw that thread earlier and its actually what made me join the forum... Im having a really hard time finding the harness for the bike... they are like rocking horse ****. Found a harness on ebay but its for an 83 gpz 750, and also spoke to my local kawasaki dealer and he pulled up a harness from the 86 gpz 900 but wasnt sure if either of the 2 would fit my bike... the only harness for the 85/86 i have found is from the USA and im not sure whether they are the same as the UK models.

she fires and runs but thats about it i have no clocks, no guages, no lights... is ther another way around this maybe???

[comfortably numb]

Real Name
    Richard Cranium.
    Bike
    Never you mind
    My Mood
    Aggressive

n00bie

Real Name
    Kevin
    Bike
    1986 GPZ 750

thanks mate...

I have a small problem.. ok so today we put her on our rolling road to see if clutch/gearbox/engine were 100% and its all pretty good we found shes pushing 86 of the 89 horses she had when new, the gearbox is good and the clutch feels very good.
    The problem is here. there is a flat spot covering from 4,000- roughly 5,000 rpm. once its past the 5,000 mark it really pulls and pulls hard.

What we have done:
    Cleaned the carbs, balaned the carbs, checked and replaced plugs...

my mechanic seems to think its the bottom end thats not playing ball.... im hoping it just needs a good thrashing to get the built up carbon out of there...

EDIT:
    Also need a new regulator/rectifier :/