Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I'm Getting There

Real Name
    Andrew
    Bike
    2011 ER-6n
    My Mood
    Devilish

+1 There Matt... I noticed a big jump in the ER when I derestricted it... cos the screw is at the 1/4 turn mark... pull that out and bang, you got another 3/4 of throttle to play with. I say DO IT... they're a hell of a lot more fun
    BURN RUBBER, NOT YOUR SOUL

When you kill a man, you're a murderer, kill many and you're a conquerer... kill them all....
    YOU'RE A GOD!!!

The only difference between tattooed people and non tattooed people, is that us tattooed ones don't give a rats if you don't have a tattoo
    Bike Details in Brisbane... buffs, wax wash, etc... pm for details

n00bie

Real Name
    Ralph
    Bike
    2010 Versys

cheers, appreciate the pics / effort

I'm Getting There

Real Name
    Andrew
    Bike
    2011 ER-6n
    My Mood
    Devilish

no wuckers mate, hope it helps you to decide, and to find the derestriction spots
    BURN RUBBER, NOT YOUR SOUL

When you kill a man, you're a murderer, kill many and you're a conquerer... kill them all....
    YOU'RE A GOD!!!

The only difference between tattooed people and non tattooed people, is that us tattooed ones don't give a rats if you don't have a tattoo
    Bike Details in Brisbane... buffs, wax wash, etc... pm for details

Full Of It

Real Name
    Gav
    Bike
    GSX1400
    My Mood
    Tired

Yes - do it.
    So many bikes - so little time

Resident BS Artist

Real Name
    Kim
    Bike
    Hodaka RT-750
    My Mood
    Cheerful

Another Versys on the forum? That took a while ...

Welcome to the rathouse Mr Caveman

Full Of It

Bike
    2009 ZX6r Monster Energy Edition

Yeah.....derestrict the b1tch
    Here comes the Booom!!

Current - 2009 ZX-6r Monster Energy Edition - Hotbobies MGP Carbon Slip on, Dyno Jet PCV, Dyno Jet Auto Tune, K&N Race Air Filter

Previous - 1993 Suzuki GSX-f Across

n00bie

Real Name
    Graham
    Bike
    Versys 2010

Quote Originally Posted by Caveman View Post
    Looking for advice on pros / cons on removing screw that restricts throttle opening further.

Been really happy withy ride as a newby however just got back from weekend at Armidale with the boys all on bigger, more powerful rides. As i struggled to keep pace it was suggested that I give it more working thru gears to keep pace.

Currently unable to queeze any more than 5500 - 6000 revs.

Any suggestions?
    Any pitfalls I should be aware of? (aside from the obvious )

Appreciate any suggestions!
    Hi Caveman
    Did you de lobotomise the versys? I also have a 2010 versys and am toying with the de restriction idea. The screw is easy, but I don't know where the loop is. Any suggestions

Cheers

n00bie On a Mission Space Invaders Champion Snake Champion Breakout Champion Bubble Trouble Champion Joust Champion TIE Fighter Shooter Champion 12 Babes of Xmas Champion Classic Donkey Kong Champion Pedestrian Killer Champion Starship Legend Champion

Bike
    1999 KDX200, 2005 ZRX1200

n00bie

Real Name
    Rocko
    Bike
    Versys 650 2014

I know this is something of an old thread, but given it's still relevant, I thought I might provide a bit of information on what I've experienced lately, in case it might help someone.

I have a new 2014 LAMS Versys 650. I am an open rider, with 20+ years of experience, and Nil accident history.
    I bought the LAMS as it's been a few years since I've owned a bike, and the price was good. So, I thought it'd be a good place to start, and later I could de-restrict the bike, and use it freely.

I was wrong on that.

Now, the information I'm giving is for Queensland only. Each state has different rules, so you'll need to check with your transport department to clarify.
    This is also regarding LEGAL de-restriction. I do not condone illegal L/P platers de-restrcting a bike. You're a fool if you try, for reasons that shouldn't even need explaining.

For starters, finding the info is difficult. I rang Queensland Transport, who put me through to registrations, who put me through to more departments, none of which knew a thing about it.
    Eventually, I was forwarded to the Vehicle Modifications and safety department, who handle such mods. They advised the following:
    To have a LAMS bike de-restricted, you need to have a bike shop provide a formal letter stating the bike no longer meets LAMS approval.
    You take the letter to any Queensland Transport office, and the registration documents are modified accordingly.
    I was advised an inspection was not required.
    HOWEVER...and this is the biggie.
    Once it is no longer LAMS, you can never reverse this "modification". The bike can never be LAMS complaint again.
    Ever.

Not too bad, but annoying for resale.

So, given that a member on another forum posted that Swann (my insurer) said such a mod was OK, I contacted them for formal clarification.
    They advised, as per the terms and conditions of their PDS, they considered the bicycle illegally modified from factory specs, and under no circumstance, will cover it for insurance. They suggested going to another insurer, naming Shannons. The insurance went from $260 a year at Swann, to near $500 at Shannons (although Shannons were much more reasonable and logical about it than Swann).
    I have posted their reply below, so no confusion on this exists.

So, you can legally de-restrict the bike, but some insurance companies will NOT insure it.

Swann even tried some rubbish stating the manufacturer would void warranties if you de-restricted a LAMS bike. Quite frankly, if they tried that, given an identical non-LAMS bike exists with the same "mod" from factory, a complaint to Fair Trading would sort that bunk out quickly enough.

So, In summary, the deal IN QUEENSLAND is:
    • You can derestrict a bike legally without too much effort, but once you do, you're stuck with it like that.
    • If you de-restrict it, Swann and other insurers will NOT insure you under any circumstance, either for an existing or new policy.
    • Technically, if you sell interstate, you may be in for a heap of pain, as the bike may then be illegally modified, and may not then be registerable.
    • If you see a bike for sale that says "Not LAMS but can be re-restricted" be uber cautious (as I saw on bikesales recently). Either the bike is llegally derestricted, (which might actually work OK, if the insurers and transport people are unaware it has occurred) or it is legally restricted, and cannot again become LAMS.
    • If you hold an open license, and intend to ride a non-LAMS bike, then buy yourself a non-LAMS bike and save yourself the pain. I sure wish I did!

It's a bulldust situation. When there is no difference between a bike sold with LAMS thats been legally de-restricted, and a non-lams bike, then it's semantics at best.
    But that's what it is.
    So, if you're buying a LAMS bike thinking to de-restrict it later, then be aware of the consequences.

Oh, and as an aside, I asked the Safety guys at Qld Transport what modifications could be done to a LAMS bike legally.
    Basically, nothing that changes the power is legal.
    Superficial mods like Mirror extenders, spools, panniers...all OK
    Exhaust changes, chip mods, anything similar...all illegal on a LAMS bike, for obvious reasons.

Swann also stated that ANY mods to a LAMS bike affecting power would cause your insurance to be void.
    So, beware what you do.

Oh, and if you're a P or L plater, and are thinking to de-restrict your bike illegally, then don't, huh?
    No-one wll insure you, and Swann confirmed they WILL check your bike after an accident. Indeed, they advised this is par for the course.
    You'll have your **** sued off if you cause an accident, and Jail time isn't worth it.

Hope this info helps someone.
    Cheers,
    Rocko

SWANN's reply:

Good Afternoon,

Re: MCD414018436

Thank you for taking the time to put your concerns in writing in relation to your thoughts on de-restricting your LAMS Motorcycle.

When you have last contacted us on the 21/04/15 we did confirm with you by e-mail that we would not be able to provide insurance cover for a LAMS bike which had been de-restricted. (Attached)

Please note that in supplying our products that our Swann National Underwriters do reserve the right to govern the terms and conditions of which we offer our insurance.
    Also note that other insurance companies will have their own.

Our Swann National Underwriters do extensive research around such rules and in this instance they have confirmed with the manufacturers themselves that they do not support such modifications and that warranties may be void upon this. Therefore our Underwriters have governed that we are unable to continue or start up a new policy where this de-restriction has been made as a rule.

With this being the case you may certainly shop around to see if other insurance companies are able to support your choice of this modification of which their Underwriting guidelines may in fact differ.

If you are still not satisfied with our decision, you may request that your dispute be referred to our Internal Dispute Resolution Panel. This panel consists of senior independent managers who will review your claim and the decision in dispute within 15 business days of the dispute being referred to the panel. You will then be advised in writing of the Panel’s decision. Please e -mail back through on info@swanninsurance.com.au if you wish to proceed with this option.

Thanks
    –––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––
    STEPHEN
    CUSTOMER SERVICE TEAM MANAGER
    SWANN INSURANCE