Motorcycle Spares Warehouse
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    n00bie

Sorry I'll try a cut and paste.....................

n00bie

"Molly" was, and still is, Rollin Sanders, and "Paint by Molly" was in La Habra, California, next large town from where I used to live, Whittier. Kenny Youngblood was very active in the Molly camp, designing a load of different paint schemes for racers from motorcycles, airplanes and top notch drag and road racers.

Molly was the official painter for the Amereican Kawasaki race teams back then, and for a lot of other factory and private efforts. You were hard pressed to see another painter at races, that many people used Rollin's work.

Kawasaki Green came about whan J. D. Putterman mentioned to Bob Hansen, at Ontario, he couldn't tell which bike was what, until he saw the numbers on the sides as the bikes went by him. Hansen invitred J. D. to lunch the day after Ontario, and right next to the restaurant was a paint store. Bob and J. D. went into the paint store after lunch, having discussed the situation, with J. D. stating that if the bikes were all painted the same, they'd be easier to see/identify as Kawasakis.

As a joke, J. D. picked up a paint chip that was on a counter, Ditzler 2115, "Rambler, Big Bad Green", and said "if you paint 'em this color, nobody will ever miss them in a race (hahahaha)". J. D. told Bob it was just a joke, but Hansen took it seriously.

And they've been that green color ever since.

Oddly enough, when Kawasaki started making their four striker three wheeler ATV's, they sold well, but, when they painted them in camoflage, sales went through the roof for a couple lf years, then tapered off. The next big sales rush was when Kawasaki painted then RED. Dealers couldn't keep red ones in stock, and were buying red bodywork to get the green and camo ones sold, as the warehouses were all out of red ones. You could get a really long, good deal on new take-off camo and green body work from dealers, really good.

n00bie

greed is green, green is mean. Very interesting thread of bed time storys tho. My next bikes going to have to be green.

n00bie

Real Name
    Change Me
    Bike
    1971 W1SA

whats a running w1sa worth

Really Full Of It

Real Name
    Peter
    Bike
    05 Zrx 85 gpz750r 78 z650
    My Mood
    Doh

what ever someone will pay Wayne & that is so dependent on it's condition so seeing this thread has been dead since 2008 & this is ya first post wayne what's ya angle " buying or selling "
    78 z650 BOTM July 2012
    05 ZRX1200r BOTM December 2013

Only a Motorcyclist knows why a dog rides with his head out the car window

Really Full Of It

Real Name
    Glenn B.
    Bike
    Honda CB450 Cafe....to be
    My Mood
    Relaxed

I have seen a mint one advertised at $15k

I'm Getting There

Real Name
    Neil
    Bike
    1974 Z1A Original Owner
    My Mood
    Lurking

This might be an old dead thread , but this post did catch my eye.

Quote Originally Posted by Zammy! View Post
    The next big sales rush was when Kawasaki painted them RED. Dealers couldn't keep RED ones in stock, and were buying RED bodywork to get the green and camo ones sold, as the warehouses were all out of RED ones.

Green might be mean , green might be great , but RED is even more gooDER mate.
    They say that riding a Zed is a little like being in heaven, maybe not, but I reckon you can almost see it from there.