Motorcycle Spares Warehouse
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    n00bie

Default zx2r rebuild suggestions?

Hi,

Not sure if i should start a new thread but i just bought my zx2r with 50 000 kms on it knowing it will run out of puff soon. So in its last legs i was wondering what bikers do in this situation (buy new engine as in second hand, or just rebuild)

I rebuild and do engine conversions for cars but not as familiar with carbies.

So far i have just planned

Clutch replacement
    head recondition
    porting
    Recondition carbies
    rehone block + new pistons and rings
    balance crank + new bearings
    seals and gaskets etc.
    replace hoses as necessary.

What i am not sure is, is it easier to just buy a second hand engine+ carbies? if so where would i find one.

And whats the rough cost in parts for all those items? am i looking in the thousands? and are there any aftermarket parts i could be interested in. (stroker kits, high compression, aftermarket camshafts etc.)

Also is fuel injection conversion with ITB's Do-able? or worthwhile?

As i said if any of my questions are ignorant please bear with me, Motorbikes are a whole new world to me. I do plan on upgrading later down the track but i was hoping i could keep this one as a GP bike/ track bike. ( i get quite attached to my belongings :P)

Cheers!!

(my budget at the moment depends on the outcome of the rebuild, so e.g. a fuel injected ITB solution im willing to spend up to 3-4 grand IF the gains are worth it, if its just a plain rebuild im hoping to spend about 1-2grand tops in parts.)

n00bie On a Mission

ring up some bike shops that find out what parts they have and you will probably find they have nothing?? i had a zx2 that i got cheap and it was a bit rough i was gona fix it up for my gf, put new rings in it and stuff but couldnt find any shops that sold parts, found one guy on ebay that had a head gasket....its a pretty old bike and it was never sold here only a import im pretty sure so parts are hard to come by, i did find a wreckers in vic that had second hand parts but expensive....

how long have you had the bike and does it need a rebuild or you just think it should cos its got 50kks? thats really not that many ks, unless its blowing out crazy smoke and goes like crap i would just enjoy it for as long as you have to(restricted licence?) then save your cash and when you can sell it and buy a bigger bike. the 3-4k you could spend you could sell it for 1500-2000 and then buy a 600 thats already fuel injectored and makes twice the power....

n00bie

im going to ride it to its death :P

not blowing smoke but getting really rattly and needs full choke on start up for a while or else it stalls on cold. (my carbies dont like the cold)

Cant i go to kawasaki dealer and ask them for parts?

n00bie On a Mission

meh all kawasakis are rattley probably just needs a new cam chain or the tensioner is stuffed. full choke sounds pretty standard, its a old bike after all thats what all old cars and bikes are like specialy now its gettin colder. my bike stays in choke mode for a few mins aswell, its just auto thats the only difference...you can go there or call them either way, i called about 5 places in brisbane and no one had anything maybe you will have some luck....try us sites the aussie dollar is good atm....

Banned

Real Name
    Mick
    Bike
    2003 Z1000
    My Mood
    Breezy

Full Of It

Bike
    600cc of vroomm... 2001 ZX6R
    My Mood
    Stressed

If the engine from a GPX can go in without a hitch that would be the cheapest option. Time to start the google up mate.
    http://home1.gte.net/res0ak9f/bike.htm :- check it out
    My ride:- 2005 Kawasaki GPX 250:- Sold 06/2011
    2001 ZX6R Andrew Pitt Limited Edition
    1993 ZZR 250 track bike
    http://www.motorcyclenews.com/Ride/ and then click on Product Tests.
    "Motorcycles are perfectly safe so long as you remember they're dangerous"

n00bie On a Mission

ewww gpx motor thats like putting a diesel in a sports car....oh wait....

n00bie

gpx motor? wow u can do engine swaps on bikes easily?

My engine swap on my car was a pain haha from the same manufacturer though so at least the wiring colours were similar :P

whats wrong with the GPX motors? (orange ute)

NSW Crew - Chief Mechanic

Real Name
    Patrick
    Bike
    1998 GPX 250R (Fightered)
    My Mood
    Daring

It all depends, on a basic level it's easier because you don't have to worry about mating drive trains or crankcases since it's (usually) just a chain to a sprocket for a drivetrain.

A gpx engine in a zx2r frame is not the best option, the gpx engine is a 2 cylinder while the zx2r engine is a 4 cylinder...
    Remember, any servicing you do to the bike that doesn't fix the problem is still servicing

Fighter Build = http://www.kawariders.com.au/showthr...ghter-Build-up

Quote Originally Posted by orangeute338
    i always do a poop before i ride, just for that exrta 10tenths
    Quote Originally Posted by BennyV
    1:07 AM [BennyV] Said like a man who's got a 2 incher

n00bie

is it really that hard to find rebuild parts. im going to call around today and see if i can source and new parts for my bike.

There has got to be some aftermarket companies.. for cars theres heaps!!