PDA

View Full Version : Knocking noise ZZR250

snorse
30-11-06, 12:32 PM
Ive got a knocking noise in my ZZR250 engine. It is particularly prominent when the engine is cold but still stays around when warm (just much less noticable).

I would have thought it was camchain or tensioner related except the sound dissapears when the clutch is used. When in neuteral with the clutch out the knocking noise is there. With the clutch used the sound dissapears.

ANY IDEAS TO WHAT THE PROBLEM MAY BE WOULD BE A GREAT HELP

Shelly
30-11-06, 04:03 PM
I think this is one of those noises the ex250 engine is known for. They make all sorts of knocks and rattles. Mine has done 1400km in 2 weeks and not missed a beat, soI've stopped worrying that it's falling apart beneath me.

snorse
02-12-06, 10:23 AM
Yeh they do make a lot of strange noise and this noise has been going on since i got it (a little bit worse 5000km later) but it doesnt sound like a good noise. Not that any noise is good but one that sounds like something in the engine is thumping against something else is probably not going to last very well!

krusty
05-12-06, 12:25 PM
This noise is inappropriate.

I removed the engine. (30000kms)

I have completey disaembled the bottom end removed the head and cylinders.
Dont get too concerned though!
All the bearings are perfect. The clutch basket had some backlash and this proved where all the black plastic was coming from the engine . After dissasembling the clutch basket (removing the rivits I found where the black plastic had come from. The cheap unreliable torque limiting device of a zzr250kwaka!!!!) Anyways the dealer wants $380 for a new one (steep) considering the life of this device is limited, Maybe 5000kms and depending on how much stick you try and squeeze out of it off the line! I will try to repair the old one. I'm not 100% certain this is where the knock knock comes from but I have looked everywhere else and the rest is smick. I will let you know how I go.

I also found a broken detent spring (two coils) on the fork selecter drum (possibly why it was hopping around 5th).

Waiting on parts

Cheers Hope this is of some help

krusty
31-03-07, 07:05 PM
Got my zzr back together about a month ago now. Motor runs like a top. I rebuilt the clutch basket by inserting some water jet cut rubber bushes to replace the small broken black plastic bits. When the oil is cold there is no noise what so ever but when warm there is a little noise. I suspect it's from the main drive crankshaft gear mating with the clutch gear bouncing off the rubber bushes a bit. I had to get some new rivets machined and I pressed them in the clutch basket once assembled. It cost $40 all up.

kibawolfrain
14-11-08, 09:35 AM
Yeah my ex250 has the knocking noise to its just the clutch rattling k its nothing serious

NickHayes
14-11-08, 10:14 AM
Yeah my 90' zzr250 has that .. i was just told its the clutch mine has done 110k + kms still runs alright

r-shippy
14-11-08, 05:11 PM
My zzr250 does the same ,eg clutch basket rattle I don't give it a second thought.

old doc
14-11-08, 06:36 PM
Yep, mine too.

zx-barbz
14-11-08, 09:17 PM
just to let you fella's know all the zx's do it i have a zx600 and the clutch rattles like hell on that too at first i also thought it was the bottom end but then i got my ear to the motor and listened around and no top end noise except slight tappers no bottom and but all the noise is comin from the clutch so thats my idea

pbz1900
14-11-08, 09:40 PM
just to let you fella's know all the zx's do it i have a zx600 and the clutch rattles like hell on that too at first i also thought it was the bottom end but then i got my ear to the motor and listened around and no top end noise except slight tappers no bottom and but all the noise is comin from the clutch so thats my idea
There's a much better way to listen to it, zx-barb. grab a screwdriver, put the handle end in your ear, and the pointy end on the motor..works sort like a stethoscope. Nice and clear, tappets especially are obvious which ones need adjustment.
The old honda750's had a problem with the left hand cam bearing, so that was how you checked for it if you were checking the bike.
cheers

zx-barbz
15-11-08, 01:37 AM
lol thats how i did it. i just didnt mention it cause i always recon its a funny sight seein someone with a screwdriver poking out there ear

old doc
15-11-08, 09:36 AM
lol thats how i did it. i just didnt mention it cause i always recon its a funny sight seein someone with a screwdriver poking out there ear

Wish you had taken some pictures...:D