PDA

View Full Version : Make Motorcycling Cost Less Rally

Cletus
17-10-08, 04:32 PM
On Saturday, July 5, 2008, there was a protest rally on a newly opened toll road in Melbourne - Eastlink. Two key issues for riders were that bike tolls were imposed for the first time in Victoria and the discriminatory $56 a year TAC bike tax. Other issues were raised. The rally was a success with estimates of attendance at 2000 to 3000 people and good media cover. That success led to the Rally to Make Motorcycling Cost Less.

On Wednesday, November 12, there will be another protest rally in Melbourne. It will be from noon to 1 pm on the lower steps of Parliament House in Spring Street at the top of Bourke. Petitions will be given to Denis Napthine MP to present to the Legislative Coucil. The petitions call for the unfair TAC tax to be abolished

Everyone is invited. They don't have to be on a bike to come along. By attending you might save yourself $56 a year in your lunch break.

This rally is organised by independent riders not by any particular organisation. Please pass the information on as you see fit.

holly1
17-10-08, 05:55 PM
trying to pretend its not Damien Codognotto organising it?

bens369
17-10-08, 06:12 PM
is there an issue with who it's being organised by? Is it a legitimate reason for protest?

Cletus
20-10-08, 08:42 AM

No .. any reason I should?. I know opinions are divided about this guy, but if you think the cause is good go for it.

mickdundee
20-10-08, 10:23 AM
is there an issue with who it's being organised by? Is it a legitimate reason for protest?

That depends who you talk to Ben. If you talk to me, i'll say something like " it's only a dollar a week and if that contributes to mtoorcycle safety then i'm all for it".

If you talk to Damien, he'll tell you it's discriminatory (and no doubt that it is) and that money from this fund is being used for non specific motorcycle projects. The only one that can really answer that is probably VMAC and I don't believe they respond to general public enquiries as they're a Govt committee and hence report to said Govt, but there the blokes responsible for administering the money.

There is no doubt some money from this went into projects like resurfacing the black spur to make it safer and it's not unfair to say that should come out of general roads revenue rather than motorcycle specific stuff but that's probabvly arguing pedantics IMO, certianly a sh!tload of motorbikes use the road and I reckon a lot more bikes than cars...

Mithel
20-10-08, 11:44 AM
The comment that the last one was successful is ambiguous. The prime time coverage i saw put it forward that it was bikeriders having a whinge about tolls that everyone else has to pay. while this is not a direct quote it was the taste they left.

I object to the way the levy is spent, on road hazards that are as much a hazard for cars as it is for bikes. the toll is bs, however it is new road, not re-use of old roads like citylink was, so if you don't like the tolls you can still go the same way you used to. we were told it would be told from the planning stage so it wasn't a surprise.

holly1
20-10-08, 03:08 PM
That depends who you talk to Ben. If you talk to me, i'll say something like " it's only a dollar a week and if that contributes to mtoorcycle safety then i'm all for it".

If you talk to Damien, he'll tell you it's discriminatory (and no doubt that it is) and that money from this fund is being used for non specific motorcycle projects. The only one that can really answer that is probably VMAC and I don't believe they respond to general public enquiries as they're a Govt committee and hence report to said Govt, but there the blokes responsible for administering the money.

There is no doubt some money from this went into projects like resurfacing the black spur to make it safer and it's not unfair to say that should come out of general roads revenue rather than motorcycle specific stuff but that's probabvly arguing pedantics IMO, certianly a sh!tload of motorbikes use the road and I reckon a lot more bikes than cars...

the MRA has managed to persuade VMAC to be a bit more open. Tony Ellis is a member of VMAC and he posts on nutrider.
I think they support the instructed rides in the yarra ranges for example.