PDA

View Full Version : http://mototuneusa.com

dougie
16-07-06, 10:54 PM
Has any one out there had any experience with his porting ideas? http://mototuneusa.com

The break-in routine works, I use to do the same in the early 90's for go-karts, but a little worried about getting a work shop stripping the engine and do the work for little gain or no gains on a bike that will be use for track days and club man racing. :confused:

Could use the money for riding lessons, might be more beneficial.

REDLINE
16-07-06, 11:09 PM
yeah get the experience before you get more power.

Metric
16-07-06, 11:59 PM
Hi Dougie, welcome to the forum :D

My way of thinking is get the lessons and rack some experience up before sinking money into eeking more performance from your bike. I dont race but i am guessing that if you cant ride smoothly on the track all the added horsepower is going to do is get you in trouble a hell of a lot faster.

Strika would be the guy to talk to though :)

RoninZX-10R
17-07-06, 07:07 PM
I've been a regular reader of mototune for a while now and I really find his website one of the most informative out there. The whole idea with the smaller porting is to increase the velocity of flow (from what I remember anyway) and if you're mechanically inclined you'd be able to do a majority of the work yourself, including adding the material to narrow the ports. The only part I'd get someone else to do any of the work would be spending time on the flow bench. Personally I would tackle this work on my current bike, but it would be a good project if you had a dirtbike where you only have to deal with a single cylinder.

You should have a good read of all his articles. He really does think outside the square, which is quite refreshing in this day and age.

dougie
17-07-06, 08:37 PM
Yes i have given his web page a good read, I like what he has to say. The reason I was thinking of the porting is I am considering between a GSXR750 or a 636. I really love my kawa's, the large % of bikes I've owned have been green but I would love the extra torque of a 750.

1000 would be too much for me.

SOOO I was thinking of getting a 636 and if his porting works, get that done for extra torque. Would not do it my self for a few reasons,
1/ I'm lazy,
2/ Would not be comfy pulling apart a new 636. A XR or WR yes.
3/ I have not got quotes yet, but I'm going to get a pipe, air filter, PC and dyno done aswell so what a few more bucks.
Just wish I could talk to some one about what it gave back in the seat of your pants performance!

RoninZX-10R
18-07-06, 04:27 PM
Dougie,
If you're fortunate enough to live in Melbourne (I'm obviously not talking about the weather!) then speak to the guys at Dynoverks out in Boronia (I think). They seem to enjoy doing modifications on sportbikes, or whatever comes through their doors. Even if they don't do head work they will certainly be able to point you in the right direction. I've always found them to be more than helpful.

OzMeanie
18-07-06, 07:45 PM
I have been lucky enough to ride both the loan bikes that Dynoverks use. One is a 750 which is a nice bike as they have it set up. It has been modified with off road handle bars, twin headlights etc etc. Its a nice bike and fun to ride, but would I want to own it long term, probably not. It is a little soft in the front and tends to dip when front braking is applied. Krooze Tune next door are fiddling with the front to try and get a good compromise setup.

The 636 that they have is just great fun to ride. Read through the thread in "The Workshop" .... "Life after a write off A Kawasaki 636 streetfighter is born". The bike they have is now a stripped down 636 but there is something about the bike that says I want to be ridden hard and enjoyed. Dynoverks have people clamoring to produce knock offs of their 636 after they have ridden their bike.

Which one would I choose ? It's a no brainer. Look for a later model, well maintained 636, not the RR models which were released to comply with racing regulations ie.: 600cc. If you still have any doubts and live in Vic go out to Dynoverks and see for yourself. They are currently "blinging" (chroming the wheels, swingarm etc. etc.) for a customer with a late model Yamaha R1. He intends to now only use the bike for show purposes (at the local coffee shop or amongst his mates). He got one of the guys at DV to go look at at late model, 2000km, 636 which he intends to use as a regular ride. The last I heard he will be buying the 636, enough said.

Almost forgot to mention ... look at my signature. I own a Honda Hornet 600 (faired model) which is a very nice commuter, well made reliable bike. To give it a little character it has been tuned and fitted with an after market exhaust. Compared to the 636 it is a little like comparing a Toyota Corolla (Hornet) and a BMW (636)

dougie
19-07-06, 11:11 PM
Hi Guys

I live in the ACT so I think I have you Melbourne people covered for cold crappy weather.

But seriously, if the weather is okay tomorrow I'll be taking a demo 636 out of the day. Use to own a 03 model and it was ok, bit uncomfy and you had to rev it, as all 600 I guess. The guys at the kawa dealer tells me it has a fair bit more power and heaps better in the comfort stakes. So if all goes well I will be putting my money down.

Could not find any demo GSXR750 plus they were a few $G's dearer, so I've rule that out.

Think I will not worry about any internal work on the engine, just get the pipe and tune it properly on a dyno.

I'll let you know how I go if interested?