PDA

View Full Version : Gunk on radiator cap

Taunt_the_law
26-06-06, 04:24 PM
Hello guys i have a problem im thinking maybe some of you can help me i have like a bit of like gunk on the top of my radiatior cap and im sorta thinking some oil is getting into my radiatior maybe a cracket head gasket

What do you guys think?

Metric
26-06-06, 06:18 PM
Welcome Board TTL :D

As a general rule 'gunk' in the radiator is not good. I would get it checked sooner rather than later. If you leave it thinking she will be right a simple problem can escalate into a major problem costing big dollars :eek: and eat into valuable ride time :mad:

:D

REDLINE
26-06-06, 07:00 PM
and ya dont want to loose ride time now do you :D

Taunt_the_law
26-06-06, 07:02 PM
Yes but i flushed the radiator to make sure she's all flowing sweet when i flushed it i took it for 2 rides and there seems to be no more gunk ???

Stoned
26-06-06, 07:05 PM
Gunk usually means emulsified oil (oil and water mixed together) if it is a grayish sort of colour. If it is, you have either a crack in the engine casting or a leaking gasket / seal. It should be sorted out as soon as possible before you do further damage, It is also possible that it may be from using tap water for coolant. Tap water contains all sorts of minerals and impurities which can leave a rust coloured slime on your radiator cap.
I am no engineer but ..... if using tap water, change it frequently and flush the coolant regularly. Ideally use an anti freeze / inhibitor which will keep the inside of the cooling system in good condition.

Taunt_the_law
26-06-06, 07:54 PM
Thank you stoned as i do use tap water i will decide to get it checked as well anyway

Taunt_the_law
26-06-06, 07:55 PM
It looks more like slimy coolent i shall take a photo of it tomorrow so you can see