PDA

View Full Version : Advanced rider courses

Juz750
10-06-08, 12:58 AM
Hi Guys

Just after a bit of info...

I consider myself to be a good rider but now after a stack I want to ensure I can do all I can to be better....hence the interest in doing an advanced course.

Did a bit of googling and the only real option there was the HART advanced courses - which is where I learnt.

Any feedback on these courses and any other options that might be available would be greatly appreciated

holly1
10-06-08, 08:27 AM
did the HART intermediate last year and thought it was good. learned a lot.
another good option are the instructed rides
http://www.yarraranges.vic.gov.au/page/Page.asp?Page_Id=1776&h=1
but they won't be on until spring.
plan to do an advanced HART course later

Mithel
10-06-08, 11:23 AM
I have done the intermediate, advanced I and Advanced II with HART.

All except II are on their 600 hornets (you can opt for a 250 in the intermediate). You can hire a hornet for the II if you wish, i did, happier to push there bike to the limit on broadford than face the repairs to my own.

After you have done the II, you get offers of II practice days at broadford run occasionally. Can't racall the exact price, i think $120 but that sounds too high.

The courses were more fun before HART got all politically correct, however they still have pretty good feedback value.

Let me know if you want more feedback.

old doc
10-06-08, 12:39 PM
I'm keen to do the intermediate, then (assuming I'm still in one piece) the advanced, especially the cornering one - because I corner like a tortoise at the moment - but it seems you have to be off Ls before they let you do them. Fair enough, they probably have insurance issues. I checked out StayUpright & HART and they both looked good on paper. I didn't hear about the instructed rides (Holly1). Would be good if we got a handful of us & tried to negotiate a group discount!

jefflthomas
10-06-08, 12:40 PM
don't they have road racing schools down there?

after all, it's all about turning, braking & reacting to the unexpected....any idiot can go fast in a straight line!

safety is knowing what a bike CAN do!!

& it's actually a safer environment to learn...in some ways http://www.maximumbikes.com/forums/images/smilies/lg.gif

ninjaboy
10-06-08, 06:13 PM
there are road racing schools.... u can do the california superbike school, in Eastern Creek and i think maybe phillip island...

but they are also about teaching u how to ride on the track... not on the road... some of it crosses over, some doesnt.... i plan on doing the hart intermediate course in sydney soon... may as well book it seein as the rentals are paying....

WINESY
10-06-08, 07:53 PM
The California Superbike School does operate from the track at Phillip Island too but you need to be fully licensed before they even consider you. I know a few people who've done it and done the race days which are just for fun but the superbike school watches you ride first and can then give you strategies and tips on what you're having probs with. I reckon HART is probably the way to go, got my L's with them but got my license through Baylink Motorcycle Training in Hastings and they were great, a father and son operation, the dad's an ex bike cop, and I'm pretty sure they run training days too. They will book whenever suits you too...

old doc
10-06-08, 08:01 PM
Seriously, who's possibly interested in trying to swing a small group booking (exclusive Kawasaki elite!) & trying to knock a few dollars off? (every dollar counts) Even if it's the dead of winter :(

ZZZ750
10-06-08, 09:42 PM
I'd be keen to do a course, Baylink are I think the way to go... I have many good stories about them and how they teach... My wife did her L's there is due to do her P's soon!

Find out some prices and let us know!

Juz750
12-06-08, 01:11 AM
Seriously, who's possibly interested in trying to swing a small group booking (exclusive Kawasaki elite!) & trying to knock a few dollars off? (every dollar counts) Even if it's the dead of winter :(

I'd be keen - thought I would go staight to the advanced I then II. If we get a couple of group quotes on the intermediate, depending on the price, I might be interested.

gpxbabe
12-06-08, 07:17 AM
I'm interested if we can get group rates :)

Phat750
12-06-08, 07:36 AM
Shame u guys arnt in NSW! A group of us r doing the advanced stay upright course in a few months! Followed by Advanced cornering! Weeee!!!:D

Mithel
12-06-08, 09:44 AM
Depending on how soon you want it - hart do a tac sponsored ride for life day at tullamarine and kilsyth (seperate weekends). you can do free try its on each of the courses on the day (1/2 versions of the courses) and you can buy vouchers for there courses at heavily discounted (tac subsidised) prices.

Mithel
12-06-08, 09:53 AM
Depending on how soon you want it - hart do a tac sponsored ride for life day at tullamarine and kilsyth (seperate weekends). you can do free try its on each of the courses on the day (1/2 versions of the courses) and you can buy vouchers for there courses at heavily discounted (tac subsidised) prices.

Only catch is they are usually in October.

Extra info - advanced I is meet at tulla and ride their bikes to Calder Park. Don't get excited they don't use the track - they only use the venue because it offers a larger piece of tarmac to manouvre in than tulla or kilsyth.

II is at Broadford and they do use the track there. it allows for high speed use of road manouvres on curves and corners not too far from what you get on the road.

As a guide for those considering these courses they all cover much the same skill set. The main difference is that each venue offers the ability to practice and get feedback at progressively higher speeds.
i.e. intermediate < 40 kmh
A I < 80 kmh
A II whatever you can manage. i was emegency braking from 110

Joffaboy
12-06-08, 02:06 PM
I did a stay upright Intermediate course and it was very good
Mine was at hoppers crossing and they have a track where you can do some serious cornering if your up to it
What I liked was the one on one training
You follow him around the track and then he follows you ..pointing out various faults if there are any
From memory it was about 160 smackers and lasted about 4 hrs
you can google them for more details

holly1
12-06-08, 06:03 PM
I'm interested if we can get group rates :)

I'd expect so. I know HART have put on training days for ulysses members