PDA

View Full Version : My new 250R...totalled :(

xenonkuraz
20-05-08, 06:29 PM
A 4wd braked suddenly infront of me at the intersection as the light just turned amber, and he caught me off guard. I swerved but not enough and hit his back bumper. It sent my crashing under his car and into his back tyre...but I'm ok. Just a few light scratches.

I got the dealer to come and pick it up. They expect the damage bill to exceed $3000. I don't have insurance...just picked the bike up not long ago.

My poor baby...

[img=http://s2d1.turboimagehost.com/t/340294_20052008011.jpg] (http://www.turboimagehost.com/p/340294/20052008011.jpg.html) [img=http://s2d1.turboimagehost.com/t/340295_20052008013.jpg] (http://www.turboimagehost.com/p/340295/20052008013.jpg.html) [img=http://s2d1.turboimagehost.com/t/340296_20052008020.jpg] (http://www.turboimagehost.com/p/340296/20052008020.jpg.html)

louis_egan
20-05-08, 06:50 PM
thats some bad luck, but as im sure most people have been telling you it could have been alot worse.
hope it all works out

devotus
20-05-08, 07:07 PM
ya poor bugger! sorry to hear that

bens369
20-05-08, 07:42 PM
bugga...get up and get going again...take care...you're ok...that's ok...!

MIKER
20-05-08, 07:55 PM
sorry to read of your off , glad your o.k.

weekend_rider
20-05-08, 08:04 PM
Bugger... Important thing is your ok, vehicles can be fixed. It's best to pay for the vehicles repairs than let his insurance come after you, Hope all works out ok.

brucey
20-05-08, 08:09 PM
sorry to hear, lucky we all have 3rd party insurance eh. hope you get your bike back asap

jaeyon
20-05-08, 08:13 PM
unlucky. bike doesnt look that bad though? is it just the fairing?

Cruiserone
20-05-08, 08:15 PM
Good to hear you walked away unharmed - and that's the main thing !!
Everything else is replaceable !!

Cheers

ZZZ750
20-05-08, 09:35 PM
Glad to see your ok... I always leave plenty of room in front for the just in cases!!!

Greenblood
20-05-08, 09:37 PM
Yep it's only a bit of twisted metal and twisted fairings which is better than a twisted body.

Ride safe when you get going again. Remember your 3 second gap, it works!:)

Christo
20-05-08, 09:47 PM
I'll probably be pilloried for saying this, but it appears you were travelling to close to the vehicle in front, from what I hear the little 250 has more than adequate braking, to enable it to stop quickly.
Also, riding a new bike without insurance? What were you thinking? I know it's expensive for a new, young rider, but, you are now about to find out how expensive it can be without it!

I am truly sorry to hear that you have had an accident, and can only loosely describe the distress I feel for you not being able to ride! Stay well, stay safe, and I hope you get back on the road quickly, with the benefit of insurance and an adequate gap.
Christo.

ninjaboy
20-05-08, 10:12 PM
bad luck about the accident mate... i cant view the images...

better not tell anybody that im not comprehensively insured aye... woops

Lem2808
20-05-08, 11:51 PM
Take care !!!

xenonkuraz
21-05-08, 09:51 AM
The bike cost $7400 on-road brand new...

I just got a quote from the dealer for repairs...

$5000 atleast to bring it back to new condition.

$821 for front fairing
$550 for headlight + globes
$600 for front guard
$650 for side fairings

thats all I could remember...

I wish there was a way to source my own parts.

Phat750
21-05-08, 10:21 AM
better not tell anybody that im not comprehensively insured aye... woops

Owen! Im appalled!:mad:

Sorry to hear about ur acco xenon! Glad to hear ur ok mate! R u gonna fix it or is it a stat write off? Looks bad, but fixable...at a cost! Oh well we all have to learn! I guarantee it would have been less than $5000 for insurance! Spose u wont do that again huh!:o
Anyway main thing is ur fine buddy!:)

PK-2000
21-05-08, 12:25 PM
the main thing is that you're ok. as far a sourcing parts have you tried the U.S. I've bought parts from there and they're about half the price including delivery. just google the parts you need and com-pair prices

jefflthomas
21-05-08, 12:54 PM
bummer....but...two words.....

STREET FIGHTER

why not....you get lemons...make lemonade

just reading this site, seems like everyone & their dog's got a new 250

be different!! http://www.maximumbikes.com/forums/images/smilies/spoton.gif

Greenblood
21-05-08, 12:59 PM
The bike cost $7400 on-road brand new...

I just got a quote from the dealer for repairs...

$5000 atleast......I wish there was a way to source my own parts.

Battle scars are ok if the fairings are not broken, just live with it until you can afford them.
There are a lot of aftermarket suppliers out there that will be cheaper than dealers if you don't mind having non genuine items. Google it!:D

I would get a list of the items your bike needs and post it up and ask for comments on what it needs now and what you can repair later.
I'm sure you will get a lot of info from this forum. (can you really trust them though:D:rolleyes:)

Good Luck!

Chrisozx14se
21-05-08, 02:05 PM
Hell yeah go the streetfighter

brucey
21-05-08, 02:35 PM
for once i agree with greenblood :D cracked fairings should just be for when u have enough money. get the bike workin again then slowely fix up the fairings. i say hold off on the fairings

Phat750
21-05-08, 02:58 PM
I say STREETFIGHTER!YAY!:D

devotus
21-05-08, 03:46 PM
mate i dont own a ninja nor do i know about places overseas to get replacement parts for the ninja.i can tell you however that customer service and friendliness from U.S stores is great, this is because they have to compete for your business unlike the cornered market theives we have here. i have bought many parts for the meanstreak and can definitely say that i have received courtious,professional and prompt answers to any enquiry i have made and have recieved quality products.The latest example is i have recently purchased some fairing gear from a company over there,i had some questions on delivery costs and time so i emailed them and within a few hours had a response and after a brief chat shipping was reduced from $300+ down to $50 and this is on items that would take up a large suitcase. i reckon if you jump on a couple of bike forums on the states they will give you a good heads up on places to buy and you'll end up saving heaps compared to the a*se raping your about to recieve.

Shelly
21-05-08, 03:47 PM
I'm definitely not a fan of the streetfighter. To me it just looks like a bike that's been in an accident and the owner couldn't afford to fix it. :p

If I were the owner of an Aus delivered 08 ninja with damaged fairings, I'd be inclined to try to source GREEN replacements. :cool:

devotus
21-05-08, 03:57 PM
I'm definitely not a fan of the streetfighter. To me it just looks like a bike that's been in an accident and the owner couldn't afford to fix it. :p

If I were the owner of an Aus delivered 08 ninja with damaged fairings, I'd be inclined to try to source GREEN replacements. :cool:

aus delivered? from overseas? or are they making them here now? i'd like to support local but i reckon thats a two way street,loyalty is earnt not demanded.

jimanjen
21-05-08, 04:08 PM
And the moral of the story is....Insure your ride and keep well back!....I know,we are nagging you but its really the only sensible thing to do.Having said that,I l know how much it is to insure bikes for young riders these day,so im not without sympathy for your situation...Good luck..Jimmy;)

Shelly
21-05-08, 06:25 PM
aus delivered? from overseas? or are they making them here now? i'd like to support local but i reckon thats a two way street,loyalty is earnt not demanded.
What I meant - is the U.S. delivered bikes are green, which we didn't get. If it was my bike I'd be taking the opportunity to have the only green one in the country. ;)

devotus
21-05-08, 06:29 PM
What I meant - is the U.S. delivered bikes are green, which we didn't get. If it was my bike I'd be taking the opportunity to have the only green one in the country. ;)

thats a great thought!

Greenblood
21-05-08, 08:54 PM

yep yep Green is good!!!:D

jefflthomas
22-05-08, 07:12 AM

i've crashed bikes & couldn't afford to fix 'em right away

didn't miss out on any riding though

or give a toss what anyone else thought!! http://www.maximumbikes.com/forums/images/smilies/mut.gif

street-fighter's also a cheap intermediary fix

Phat750
22-05-08, 07:55 AM
street-fighter's also a cheap intermediary fix

Its not a cheaper option if u do it properly with high end fighter parts! But then it becomes more of n obsession than n intermediate fix too! Fun but!:D

xenonkuraz
22-05-08, 11:52 AM
I am definitely requiring a new:

* Headlight
* Front fairing
* Front guard
* Front guard brace
* Left side fairing (not necessary, but my current one is scratched)
* Left front blinker
* Left mirror
* Handlebar (apparently it was quite bent back)

The fairings mentioned have been cracked to pieces. I would love to source a green or blue fairing kit from the U.S. I'm working on getting help from kawiforums and I'm also looking for aftermarket parts.

Also, are there aftermarket fairings for the new 250r already? I don't mind non-oem items :)

Thanks so much for the help guys.

BTW, I will definitely insure my ride and keep the 3 sec gap :)

May I ask...What's "Street Fighter"?

jefflthomas
22-05-08, 12:23 PM
it's sorta http://www.maximumbikes.com/forums/images/smilies/unsure.gif...... a bike without a lot of the stuff you broke http://www.maximumbikes.com/forums/images/smilies/spoton.gif

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Streetfighter

Phat750
22-05-08, 12:33 PM
Basically any bike (preferably a sport bike) that has been stripped of its fairings, fitted with flat bars motoX style instead of the standard clip-ons & then fitted with any of the weird & wonderful accessories available now can be called a streetfighter! It started in europe & is now a worldwide thing!

Check out www.streetfighters.com.au! Heaps of pics & better explanations of streetfighter history!

Also & more importantly they r my favourite kinda bike!:D

Mithel
22-05-08, 12:35 PM
Sorry to hear about the accident and the aftermath - get it rideable and either streetfighter or repair/replace as you can.

As much as it causes us grief the first time we bin a bike - looks aren't everything - the ride is. I am still waiting for the insurance to come thru from mine accident, but to be honest, as much as fretted over every scratch when i first got the 1000, i have come to realise the riding matters more.

Good luck with the repairs.

ninjaboy
22-05-08, 01:40 PM
there wont be any aftermarket fairings in AUS, and probably not in the US either... best bet owuld be to try and source something from the US i reckon...

in the mean time... get it rideable and save for the cosmetic repairs...

Phat750
22-05-08, 02:07 PM
^^^No Owen...STREETFIGHTER! Say it with me now!:D:rolleyes:

devotus
22-05-08, 05:18 PM
Check out www.streetfighters.com.au! Heaps of pics & better explanations of streetfighter history!

Also & more importantly they r my favourite kinda bike!:D

that sites pretty cool phat:cool:

xenonkuraz
22-05-08, 06:14 PM
I went to two garages today that were willing to do street-fighter repairs to my bike. But they both advised that I'm better off getting it back to original condition for a greater resale value, as it's only a 250 and I will end up selling it for a bigger bike.

At one of the garages I saw my same bike with identical damage (nearly thought it was mine) though they quoted $7000 to repair that one. Phew.

I also went to the kawasaki dealer in ferntree gully to discuss getting my bike to just a rideable state. I was given a list of parts/prices and gosh...very, very expensive.

The two light bulbs are $147 for instance. The left blinker is $90!

devotus
22-05-08, 06:35 PM
I went to two garages today that were willing to do street-fighter repairs to my bike. But they both advised that I'm better off getting it back to original condition for a greater resale value, as it's only a 250 and I will end up selling it for a bigger bike.

At one of the garages I saw my same bike with identical damage (nearly thought it was mine) though they quoted $7000 to repair that one. Phew.

I also went to the kawasaki dealer in ferntree gully to discuss getting my bike to just a rideable state. I was given a list of parts/prices and gosh...very, very expensive.

The two light bulbs are $147 for instance. The left blinker is $90!

two things that i must preceed with the obligatory IMO 1st being resale on a 250 will be crap anyway so F*ck it they are talking out their butts
2nd never ever ever buy things like light bulbs from dealers unless you take lube with ya

ZZZ750
22-05-08, 08:22 PM
Mate, my wife has a ZZR that I cam off on and did a bit damage to, still haven't fixed the front gaurd nor the muffler and its been 4 years and she is now riding it once again, but repaired the fairing with a new one, everything else was plastic welded and it looks as good as new!! Chat with bike shops that aren't associated with any dealerships... I went via a mechanic when I was living in Sydney and he saved me about $2K in repairs!! Have a chat to Jack at Cranbourne Motorcycles great bloke and will give his honest opinion!

I agree about getting it back to normal as much as possible... It will make the world of difference if your trying to sell privately or even trade it in...

xenonkuraz
23-05-08, 11:47 AM
I found a bloke in the U.S. who has all the parts I need...but he isn't willing to ship to Australia :(

Phat750
23-05-08, 12:05 PM
that sites pretty cool phat:cool:

It sure is Devo! Thats where I spend most of my internet time...when im not here of course! Its a gr8 forum too! Everyones really friendly & helpful! Plus there r links to people that sell anything u could possibly want 4 ur bike, & being a member usually get u a 10% discount!:cool:

Phat750
23-05-08, 12:11 PM
two things that i must preceed with the obligatory IMO 1st being resale on a 250 will be crap anyway so F*ck it they are talking out their butts
2nd never ever ever buy things like light bulbs from dealers unless you take lube with ya

^^^I agree! Resale on a brand new bike is crap at the best of times, let alone when its a 250! May as well have some fun with it I rekon! U'd be surprised how many lads on their L's n P's have turned to streetfighting their 250's! Their is definatly a market 4 it if thats what ur into!

But if thats not ur scene xenon dont listen to us mate! Just something to think about...;)

devotus
23-05-08, 03:01 PM
I found a bloke in the U.S. who has all the parts I need...but he isn't willing to ship to Australia :(

is he private seller or shop? what you can do is contact fed ex and arrange shipping yourself it's pretty easy. i dont want to tell you to suck eggs but if he's private make sure you get a confirmation of sale. where did ya find him?

hammer
27-05-08, 05:26 PM
im a lil confused new bike + no insurance = hopefully lesson learned