PDA

View Full Version : Hooked on Ice!

strika
14-04-08, 08:33 AM
Faaark...what an epic day Sunday turned out to be!!!

We all met Saturday morning in Berwick and had a pretty good run down to Dargo, taking in Hill End, Umina, Yallorn Nth, Tyers, Briagalong and then Dargo. We had a few wet roads, but we never got wet, which was nice for a change. The Dargo Inn was a ripper, $75 / night, including a full two course (Main and Desert) dinner and a full cooked breakfast with Bacon, Eggs and the works!! I was, needless to say, a little slow coming back down the mountain Sunday morning!!

The run up to Omeo was a wet affair, with it commencing raining at Bairnsdale and not finishing...ever!!!! At Omeo, I had intended running down the 30klms of dirt to Eskdale and Tallangatta, then scoot across to Tumby, Tumut and Gundagai for the run into Young. The best laid plans.....as they say! Here, a local advised me against doing the dirt, as he said he drove across it a week ago and wouldn't ride his road bike across it. With that, I decided to do Hotham! All went well till I hit black ice 3 klms over the Hotham Summit! The bike was almost upright, with me taking it easy as I could feel how cold it was. (-3) I had just literally, rolled passed a bus and had taken another half dozen corners. After this was a very gentle bend,, with the cliff on it's left casting a shadow over the road. Next thing I know it's gone. The back went first! I tried opposite locking it, but the back just kept coming around. We both then slid down the road, with the road camber making the bike slide towards the rock wall. I watched in slow motion, sliding along the road behind it, as it backed itself around to ensure it would hit all the expensive body work! It did exactly that, taking the luggage, luggage rack and then twisting the subframe, before attacking the tank and then the screen, dash and fairing! The rocks tore it to bits! It''s a bit ugly, with the list including all the switchblocks, clocks, bars, levers, engine cover, pipe, rear caliper and line, radiator, fairings, fairing brackets, instrument brackets and tank! As for me, I'll live, but I definately have two broken ribs, a banged up elbow-on the inside where it broke my ribs , (Farking same ones I did a few years ago!!).

I had no mobile coverage, but the nice bus driver who I had not long before passed, decided not to run me over, but to stop. He himself being a rider. He was a little surprised to see me on the deck, as he said I was just cruising, which I was! He took the bride's mobile number and sorted her and the trailer for me. I managed to get everything off the road, then found an emergency hut 200 metres away in which I stowed my gear and lit a fire to stave off Hypothermia! Fark it was cold up there. Pretty much as soon as the bus driver had gone, it started hailing! Thankfully this soon turned to rain. Not to be outdone and just to ensure I had a completely farked up day, it then SNOWED!! I kid you not!! It snowed!! So there I sat, 12.30pm till 6.40pm, licking my wounds in front of the fire, until the bride finally turned up! I did gain some company half way through the day, with a Kiwi Scientist and a Taiwanese girl on a pushbike (One of those lie back jobbies with the steering by your side and the pedals out in front of you...weird) holiday. The snow stopped them and they came in and set up camp for the night. I taught Ting the Taiwanese girl how to make toast on an open fire! The genius scientist kept burning it!!

We had the bike loaded and headed back down the mountain around 7pm. Arrived home 11.00pm! I'll have another look at the mess today sometime!:(

Bikenagain
14-04-08, 08:51 AM
Jeez man that down sounds real painful :( . Bike sounds a hell of a mess and I know what broken ribs feel like. Hope the bike is salvageable or you got good insurance. But I suppose you will need the time it takes to repair or replace the bike for those ribs to heal. Hope your back riding sooner rather than later.

Cheers

Mark

*SloJo
14-04-08, 08:55 AM
Glad you didn't come off too badly mate. Hope that you and your bike are back to original health soon.

oldbitz
14-04-08, 10:00 AM
Glad to hear you are reasonably ok strika even if the bike aint, hopefully the bike will be up and ready again by the time your ribs heal..... Hopefully your ear didnt get too much of a bashing from the bride on the trip home mate.

jefflthomas
14-04-08, 10:29 AM
sounds nasty!!

cracked ribs aren't much fun either!

especially when you laugh!

i guess we won't be getting a real "positive" evaluation of the new Dunlops then?

Mithel
14-04-08, 03:18 PM
Strika - i was about to post my tale of my off last thursday, and read this thread.

I am glad you made it back in one piece. I know it is no consolation but bikes can be replaced. hope the ribs don't give you too much grief.

Christo
14-04-08, 06:37 PM
Mate that's one helluva tale!:eek: Glad you're allright, and hope you and the bike are reunited soon!
Christo.

devotus
14-04-08, 07:21 PM
sorry tale mate. glad your ok

ronin1959
14-04-08, 07:26 PM
Hey Strika, glad you came out in one piece.

Black ice is a bitch. Have encountered it before and come off second best (when I lived in Tassie, at least there's something to be said for Qld). It's the scariest thing out there coz there's absolutely no control whatsoever. :eek:

Under the cicumstances, I think you saved yourself quite well.

Oh, and it wasn't the fact that he was a scientist that he couldn't cook toast on a fire.....it was coz he was a KIWI!

Sorry mate, didn't mean to make you laugh on those ribs!

All the best, heal quick, ride soon.

Ronin

MIKER
14-04-08, 08:21 PM
sorry to read of the incident "marty" :eek:, i'm glad your o.k. & hope you heal fast . as for the bike , good luck with the repairs .

jimanjen
14-04-08, 08:31 PM
Gawd,there is a few of us coming to grief lately,,,,,Mate glad you aint too bad,my beloved Jen has busted ribs at the moment also,so she has much sympathy for you......Cheers Jimmy

strika
20-04-08, 07:47 AM
sounds nasty!!

cracked ribs aren't much fun either!

especially when you laugh!

i guess we won't be getting a real "positive" evaluation of the new Dunlops then?

Jeff it wouldn't have mattered if I was riding on Superbike or Moto GP wets, no tyre would have performed any good on ice!!:D

As for the Dunlops, provided I can get similiar mileage out of them to the Pilot Road 2's, then I will use them again for sure. The grip and handling are faultless, wet or dry. :cool:

So far, I have managed to secure a Screen, Full exhaust system, Front fairing, engine cover and handlebars all for less than $300!!! So far so good!!!

I will most likely order a new fairing bracket as they are only $160. So all I need apart from that now, is a RH switchblock, some alignment of bits and paint.

jefflthomas
20-04-08, 10:56 AM
Jeff it wouldn't have mattered if I was riding on Superbike or Moto GP wets, no tyre would have performed any good on ice!!:D

As for the Dunlops, provided I can get similiar mileage out of them to the Pilot Road 2's, then I will use them again for sure. The grip and handling are faultless, wet or dry. :cool:

yeh i know......i live in the great white north

was just trying to make you laugh....broken a few ribs myself LOL

still looking forward to the longevity report on the dunlops

strika
20-04-08, 06:35 PM
yeh i know......i live in the great white north

was just trying to make you laugh....broken a few ribs myself LOL

still looking forward to the longevity report on the dunlops

Enough of that Jeff!! My mates have all been doing a good job for ya!!:D

I spent two hours in the shed at various times today in between other things. I removed the entire front and worked out what was needed. It isn't all that bad. I need 1 bracket, which is the fairing bracket. At a pinch I can straighten it, but for the money it's worth putting one on which is straight. The instruments have a small graunch mark on the top right edge, but I am not too fussed about fixing it. It's only the facia, so hopefully it's a seperate part. If so I might hunt on up, or if one piece, it can stay. The remainder was all ok, just a little twisted around from the fairing bracket which bent. If I had a fairing bracket, I could hot wire the kill switch, put it all together and it's actually rideable!! Tough old girl!!!

I also had a gander at the subframe, which was only a grab handle tab which was bent, and a Suzuki special tool fixed it with three hits!!! It's perfect now so the back end is sorted.

I'll drop the tank and fairings into the painter tomorrow and see how it looks. I saw a Black ZRX in one of Phil's Japanese Rex mags which was finished with gold pin striping ALA 1980's stuff. It looked good. It will just depend on price. If he wants to sting me a premium for the priveledge, then it can remain silver!

Oh...and bar end weights havn't got any easier to remove. One always gives me grief. This time it was the one which wasn't graunched in the off which didn't want to play. Off to buy "another" impact driver tomorrow, as I turned my tool box upside down and have either lost it, or lent it out and can;t remember who! And no...you can't borrow my wife!

*SloJo
21-04-08, 09:32 AM
I'll drop the tank and fairings into the painter tomorrow and see how it looks.

Are you taking it to the MMF guys in Spotswood?