PDA

View Full Version : Melb Easter sat ride-Thompsons dam

strika
21-03-08, 07:42 AM
Ok boys and girls, I have decided on what I am going to do this easter. Sunday I am out with the Melb sports bike riders club (10.00am Berwick Maccas Uni Exit,destintation Yarram all welcome), but Saturday, I fancy doing a ride to Thompsons Dam!

Start time is 9.00am at the shell WG service centre City bound! Route will be twisty and challenging and the dam road is a corker!:)

Distance will be around 450klms.

All riders are welcome, however, inexperienced riders be warned this ride is challenging.:eek:

MIKER
21-03-08, 06:52 PM
sounds like a awesome ride , i'd be glad to join you . only you posted the ride with very short notice , in the near future do post it up again . as that ride sounds great & i havent been out the thompson dam way , i also love challenging routes .. ;)

aossie
21-03-08, 09:06 PM
hey strika , thats in my back yard post and I will check in the morning and meet you up there, Im only a cruiser so no corners are challanging:)

strika
22-03-08, 06:29 AM
more than welcome regardless of what or how you ride. The inexperienced warning was more for those who are not used to riding 400+klm days. I find, those not used to it often find it tiring and towards mid afternoon concentration levels fade and crashes happen.

I guess gauging by your post, I'll catch you at Berwick Maccas!! The forecast is for 24 degrees and SUNNY, so it could well be motorcyclists nirvana!!!!!!!:D

MIKER
22-03-08, 06:45 AM
i managed to undo my plans on short notice & i'll be seeing you @ the shell servo @ 9:00 , sounds like its going to be a great ride .. ;) :cool:

aossie
22-03-08, 04:40 PM
Had all the plans then my mate rings and taking his kid up the local quarry for a spin, all new to bikes so went and lent my mentoring skills, by the end of the day both the son(10) and daughter(12) where using the gears ok.:)

strika
22-03-08, 05:08 PM
About 500 klms door to door and just about the most perfect day one could hope for!! The weather was simply amazing and the roads were relatively devoid of tin toppers. A little gravel here and there spoilt the party for a few brief moments, but not enough to cause any seat foam chewing moments!:D

Another interesting discovery today, was that, as often is the case, internet user names are often the total Antithesis of the personality! Mean 1 hasn't got a mean bone in his body! He's just a big softie, so much so that I bought him some flowers at the end of the ride!!!;)

Mean1 and I took off on time from the shell WG at 9.00 and headed down the freeway to the 2nd meet point. Just before the 10.00am departure and after a good coffee, PeterM from another forum turned up on his Tuono with his bride as pillion. So the three of us headed off to Moe as first stop some 120 klms away. We trundled down the freeway till Longwarry, turned left then right and past labertouche and onto jindivick before turning south and picking up the Old Sale Rd down into Moe. We refuelled and stopped in at the Bakery to swap lies and have a feed. PM and his bride decided to head home from there, as the bride had stepped off the pillion perch while doing a U-turn and aggravated an old war wound.

Mean1 and I then took off for Thomsons dam via Erica. The roads were litter free apart from one section where the 4WD's were dragging thick clay onto the roads. Thankfully it was dry and grippy, not wet and slimy!!!

We stopped at the dam to take some pics (Mean1 has them) and take a break, before returning down the hill. We turned up to Willowe grove and Hill End, then across to Noojee where we stopped again for an **** recovery and fluid intake and outtake session!!!

Then down the Powelltown rd and into Yarra Junction. We turned left just after here and went down to Gembrook, before popping back out at Belgrave and onto the freeway for the 30 minute jaunt home. I arrived home about 5.20pm with the best economy I have ever achieved out of the big 12!! 296KLMS Before reserve. So if conservative I could prolly coax 360-380 klms out of it if I needed to.:cool:

Thanks to PM and M1 for the company and a top day!!:D

MIKER
22-03-08, 05:19 PM
what a top ride , 500+ km in total . the roads were awesome & very twisty in some sections :D also challenging in some areas "gravel in mid corners" :eek: . "Marty" did buy me flowers @ the end of the day , to my total shock :eek: & then said the flowers are for his wifey "thank god" :rolleyes: ..

bens369
22-03-08, 05:22 PM
are you sure...???:D

MIKER
22-03-08, 05:24 PM
are you sure...???:D

let me say , i was in shock when Marty come out from the shops with Flowers & said to me these are for you :eek: in front of other ppl's :o ..

bens369
22-03-08, 05:29 PM
let me add the weather was absolutely perfect...you could not have asked for better riding conditions...

what flower was purchased..?:D

strika
22-03-08, 05:39 PM
let me add the weather was absolutely perfect...you could not have asked for better riding conditions...

what flower was purchased..?:D

It was a full bunch and It was piss funny. Mean1 didn't really know me too well before today, so when I went inside to buy the bride and Easter Egg, and opted for flowers as well (I am riding again tomorrow, so thought it prudent!!!!:D), I decided to take the piss and the look on his face.................:eek: At first, he looked really suss, till he realised I was taking the piss and cracked up!!!Anyhow, after I shagged him................! There was a another bike couple having a coffee and they near fell off there chairs laughing!!!

Oh and BTW, tomorrows destination is Yarram in South Gippy. Meet point is Berwick Maccas again at 10.00am. Expect it to be even more challenging than today. (A good mate of mine is leading and he can peddle along a bit good!!!:D)

bens369
22-03-08, 06:14 PM
the flathead tails from the fish n chip shop on the pier at port albert are good stuff...if i wasn't havin a bbq, i'd tag along...:D

...hmmm...maybe i could tell the other half i'm off to get some milk n bread...:rolleyes:

MIKER
22-03-08, 10:07 PM
It was a full bunch and It was piss funny. Mean1 didn't really know me too well before today, so when I went inside to buy the bride and Easter Egg, and opted for flowers as well (I am riding again tomorrow, so thought it prudent!!!!:D), I decided to take the piss and the look on his face.................:eek: At first, he looked really suss, till he realised I was taking the piss and cracked up!!!Anyhow, after I shagged him................! There was a another bike couple having a coffee and they near fell off there chairs laughing!!!

Oh and BTW, tomorrows destination is Yarram in South Gippy. Meet point is Berwick Maccas again at 10.00am. Expect it to be even more challenging than today. (A good mate of mine is leading and he can peddle along a bit good!!!:D)

yeh , the other motorcycling couple did have a good laugh :D @ your prank . have fun on sundays ride , your mate must ride like the clappers .

jefflthomas
22-03-08, 11:05 PM
nice!! http://www.maximumbikes.com/forums/images/smilies/spoton.gif

nothing like a ride through some hills

the only time my rex had similar fuel economy was on the Blue Ridge Parkway

usually i hit reserve before 240

heard it was a bit dry down there & it looks it

but it's autumn there now, right?

MIKER
23-03-08, 06:44 AM
yes its Autumn & of late its been more like summer .. :eek:

strika
23-03-08, 06:18 PM
nice!! http://www.maximumbikes.com/forums/images/smilies/spoton.gif

nothing like a ride through some hills

the only time my rex had similar fuel economy was on the Blue Ridge Parkway

usually i hit reserve before 240

heard it was a bit dry down there & it looks it

but it's autumn there now, right?

Yeah, normally it gets between 190 and 240 before reserve, depending on how it's ridden:D : but this was a pretty cruisy ride and not a key in brain out ride, hence the best figures ever!! :cool:

Today was a little different, with 180 before reserve after the Tarra Bulga National park run!:eek:

devotus
23-03-08, 06:20 PM
[QUOTE=Today was a little different, with 180 before reserve after the Tarra Bulga National park run!:eek:[/QUOTE]

pics???????

strika
23-03-08, 08:03 PM
Sorry, didn't stop to smell the roses today. Plus someone else took a few so I didn't bother. If I get hold Of any I will post.:)