http://mraa.org.au/forum/modules/majorevents/index.php?pagenum=3

Joffaboy
10-07-07, 11:55 AM
MRA Cranbourne OZ GP Run
2006 Event Details:

Date: Saturday 16 September, 2006
Time: 10am
Where: Cranbourne

he MRA Cranbourne GP Run is held each year on the Saturday of the Australian Motorcycle Grand Prix.

The MRA Cranbourne GP Run is a rare event. Tens of thousands of motorcycles line the streets in a procession-style ride to Phillip Island to promote road safety, the main themes being "Don't Drink Then Ride" and "Motorcycle Aware Driver". Unless you're a celebrity of some kind, you don't generally get to experience something like this - thousands of locals and visitors lining the streets to cheer you on, simply for doing something you love. You have to experience it to know what it's like.

From 8.00am on the saturday morning the southbound carriageways of High Street Cranbourne will be shut to allow for the parking of motorcycles that wish to participate in the group ride to the Phillip Island race circuit. This ride has become a major annual event that is well attended by motorcyclists from all over Australia.

Entertainment and street vendors will commence from 8.00am, to help entertain and feed the gathering motorcyclists, before the 10.00am wave off.

The MRAA will have a stand in Childers Street promoting the MRAA and it's activities, in particular the Toy Run.

As in previous years, there will be stage set up at the Childers Street intersection, and at approximately 9.45am speeches will commence, along with the presentation of the wave off celebrity.

The procession will be led off by Victoria Police riders, who will set the pace, followed by the VIP�s then the gathered riders and pillions. The MRAA will have ride marshals interspersed throughout the group to monitor and help maintain the pace set by the lead riders.

As the 2003 ride was spoiled for some, by the presence of speed cameras, and the MRAA subsequently worked hard to alleviate the burden that some suffered, we wish to make everyone aware that regular road rules still apply for this ride. Whilst we have been assured that there will not be speed cameras or radars along the procession route, everyone should treat the ride as though their presence is a likelihood. This year the MRAA is taking the stance, that riders are responsible for their own actions.

Further information can be found at the following links;

www.casey.vic.gov.au/gprun
http://www.grandprix.com.au/

How to get there

* The MRA Cranbourne GP Run starts in High St, Cranbourne.
* From the City, follow the Monash Freeway and take the South Gippsland Highway turnoff.
* Follow the South Gippsland Highway to Cranbourne.
* The South Gippsland Highway turns into High Street, through Cranbourne.

To enter the event area

* Only motorcycles will be accepted into the event area
* Motorcycles must enter the event area via High St, at the corner of Stawell St, Cranbourne (see Melways 133 K4).
* Traffic Management staff and MRA marshals will direct you into the event area

Once inside the event area

* Drive slowly at all times. Speed limited to 10km/h.
* Take direction from the MRA marshal closest to you.
* An MRA marshal will direct you to a parking space. Ensure that your motorbike is parked as requested by the marshal

Ride Safety information

The event area is subject to heavy traffic changes and caution must be taken

Riding in a group is an exciting activity and requires greater concentration than riding on your own. The MRA Cranbourne GP Run organisers ask that you adhere to the following guidelines in order to keep the ride safe, cohesive and enjoyable for all participating:

* Ensure that you adhere to all the normal road rules and speed limits.
* Ensure that the motorcycle that you are riding is mechanically safe and legally roadworthy.
* The event will be lead by Victoria Police. Do not overtake the Victoria Police.
* A motorcycle requires a full lane in which to operate safely. Ride in a staggered formation, not side-by-side.
* MRA marshals will ride with the group. One marshal will be nominated to ride at the rear of the group. It is the marshal's responsibility to ensure that the riders don't get lost and to render assistance if necessary.
* The group as a whole must not stop for an individual as it can be dangerous to have the whole group stop on the side of the road. The "Tail End" marshal will give assistance.
* If, in the case of an emergency you need to stop as a group, be sure to stop well off the road.
* Always signal your intention to change lanes. Keep a safe distance behind the next rider. Check in your mirrors often and concentrate on your riding.
* If every rider can see the rider ahead of him or her, the group should not get split up. Adjust your speed to do so.
* We ride as a group to Phillip Island. Keep the group together on the road, don't lag behind.
Ensure that you adhere to all the normal road rules and speed limits.

Please remember to arrive at the departure point with a full tank of fuel. Departure time is 10am

IndioGomez
17-07-07, 05:14 PM
Count me in guys, I have gone to the Gp run for the last 3 years, it's great!!! Maybe we should all go as part of the Australian Kawasaki Riders Forum Members.

finallyridingagain
25-07-07, 05:17 PM
wow - now that sounds awesome!

Now I gotta work out a way to get that day off

VixenAndrea
25-07-07, 06:41 PM
i'm there if i wont slow anyone down too much.......

Joffaboy
25-07-07, 06:45 PM
please keep an eye on the date it could be in Aug

gpxbabe
25-07-07, 07:46 PM
I think it's 13th October, and I'd love to ride with you guys too if you'll have me! :D

zxrmad
25-07-07, 08:02 PM
I think it's 13th October, and I'd love to ride with you guys too if you'll have me! :D

Yes, the MotoGp weekend this year is 12th to 14th October, with the race on 14th.

Clanga61
26-07-07, 08:21 PM
Hey guys&Gals.
Indo,thats a great idea,those who have gone to the GP and those who have ridden from Cranbourne,just keep going back rain hail or shine,a group of Kwakas-even GREEN Kwakas would be sensational,you pick the spot,oh and girls,dont sell yourself short,you just turn up you pay your rego you own the road to,can i ride with you .
Cheers Clanga61:)

finallyridingagain
27-07-07, 11:36 AM
well we got plenty of time to organise something...........

I'm 10-15 mins away from the M1 in the East.
(Just off Stud Road in Rowville)

zxnator
27-07-07, 01:26 PM
im rideing at the back, so i can keep me licence at least for one day.:D come on sep 3rd. :) oh thats the date (they) put me back on my bike. ohh well i guess they just wont learn.:D

ThumpinKwaka
27-07-07, 06:35 PM
Man oh man, what have I been missing all these years!

Teaming up and riding together as the forum? Now that is a capital idea! Just that alone is enough to get me there!

GPXPaddy
31-07-07, 01:01 AM
I'm there with bells on no matter the date, but on the website for the grand prix, its scheduled for mid october. We could have a dry run in september too. Just to find the way.

I'll be there for sure anyways!!!

gpxbabe
31-07-07, 07:33 AM
I'm definitely going with a couple of mates, and I'll try and find everyone else at Cranbourne, but we are probably going to hit Cowes for lunch, rather than head for the circuit. Count me in for a dry run, Paddy!

Scarecrow_01
03-08-07, 10:49 PM
Dry run sounds very good.
Perhaps the weather will start to ease up a bit and I can actually start to get my bike out again.

MIKER
04-08-07, 07:41 AM
^^
nothing wrong with a bit of practice in the rain IMO ..

JL4049
04-08-07, 09:59 AM
Me and a mate from work will be coming down from Sale, not sure if we'll be there the whole weekend or just for the race day, depends on work commitments, would be good to meet up with some of you guys.

Joffaboy
04-08-07, 05:25 PM
Hi JL if your coming from sale maybe you should look at the Barry Sheene memorial run from Bairnsdale
See Link Below

http://www.motorcyclesaust.com.au/barrysheene_ride.htm