PDA

View Full Version : Bike security

Zed900
07-05-07, 05:51 PM
Howdy all,
maybe a dumb type of question.......but :)
What's best, a cable or chain? is there a "best"?.........and what are the thoughts on buying a system from a shop as opposed to maybe just going to a cable/chain supplier and buying either a high tensile chain or cable?

wheelbarrow
07-05-07, 06:40 PM
I got myself a Xena disc lock.
http://www.xenasecurity.com/home/current/lock/

Was really cool the first time a hero mate sat on my bike and it went off.

wheelbarrow
07-05-07, 06:47 PM
I have been looking at

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/SPEAKING-MULTI-FUNCTION-CRUZE-A-ROO-MOTORCYCLE-ALARM_W0QQitemZ170108746368QQihZ007QQcategoryZ32628QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
since one of the forum members had mentioned it.

wheelbarrow
07-05-07, 06:49 PM
Might be relevant to your ride. Iím not sure.

MIKER
07-05-07, 08:35 PM
i use disc locks & a magnum cable & U-lock system , work well ..

Judgen
07-05-07, 09:56 PM
I got myself a Xena disc lock.
http://www.xenasecurity.com/home/current/lock/

I have one of these also. Do you have any problems with it going off for no reason? When I went to Stafford City to see Spiderman3 I put it on and got the Armed chirp, but as I went to walk away the alarm went off, it reset itself, but then went off again.

I read that sensitivity depends where on the disc you place it. Up top for less sensitive, down low for move sensitive. I placed the lock up as high as I could and the freakin thing still went off. I cleaned the sensors in case there was dirt as the manual states, but that did'nt help .So I took it off threw in my pack and went to watch the movie, the whole time I could not relax as my unsecure bike was playing on my mind, hoping no-one had bust the steering lock and was walking it off down the road. When the movie was over I could'nt get out of there fast enough to see if it was still there... thankfully it was.

Because of this I have been considering one of the voice alarms as one of the forum members had mentioned and you have the link to above. I'm hoping it is just batteries even though I've only had it coming on 2 weeks.

Regards,
Dean

Zed900
07-05-07, 09:58 PM
I can't use disc locks on the old Z.....no holes to put it in. So it needs to be something with a lock on it. I guess any bad guys worth their salt would carry all the necessary to deal with chain or cable, so perhaps it doesn't matter much what you use anyway?.

m0nkeycheese
07-05-07, 10:08 PM
I have one of these also. Do you have any problems with it going off for no reason? When I went to Stafford City to see Spiderman3 I put it on and got the Armed chirp, but as I went to walk away the alarm went off, it reset itself, but then went off again.

I read that sensitivity depends where on the disc you place it. Up top for less sensitive, down low for move sensitive. I placed the lock up as high as I could and the freakin thing still went off. I cleaned the sensors in case there was dirt as the manual states, but that did'nt help .So I took it off threw in my pack and went to watch the movie, the whole time I could not relax as my unsecure bike was playing on my mind, hoping no-one had bust the steering lock and was walking it off down the road. When the movie was over I could'nt get out of there fast enough to see if it was still there... thankfully it was.

Because of this I have been considering one of the voice alarms as one of the forum members had mentioned and you have the link to above. I'm hoping it is just batteries even though I've only had it coming on 2 weeks.

Regards,
Dean

I had the exact same feeling when i went to see spiderman 3, except i was using a conventional disc lock, hate leaving the bike alone, all through the movie especially at the 2hr point i was like when the hell will this end lol! :D

Judgen
07-05-07, 10:10 PM
I can't use disc locks on the old Z.....no holes to put it in. So it needs to be something with a lock on it. I guess any bad guys worth their salt would carry all the necessary to deal with chain or cable, so perhaps it doesn't matter much what you use anyway?.

You can still get the ChainLock or CableLock with the inbuilt alarm (links below). Or even the Voice Alarm Immobiliser as mentioned about which is selling for around the same price as the Xena Disc Lock.

http://www.xenasecurity.com/product/motorbikes/ChainLock/page1/
http://www.xenasecurity.com/product/motorbikes/CableLock/page1/

All the locks and alarms are just deterrents to a thief to make him/her go look elsewhere for easier pickings. However, if they really want it bad enough... they'll get it, but why make it easy for them.

MIKER
07-05-07, 10:45 PM

the locks are just to make it harder , in the end if criminals want to take your bad enough they most likely will .. :mad:

born2sin
08-05-07, 10:29 AM
I used to use a disc lock but have reserved myself to the fact that if somebody actually wants my bike they could just get a few mates and a ute and my bike would be gone with or without a disc lock.

i have cemented into the floor of my car port a pole with a D shackle welded on, the pole goes down about 1 meter. I used to chain the bike through the back wheel to the floor but then realised that it aint that hard to remove the back wheel.
So all you really can do is deter the thieves.

MIKER
08-05-07, 10:57 AM
So all you really can do is deter the thieves.

+ 1 agree , thats all you can do ..

wheelbarrow
08-05-07, 05:48 PM
Or make sure your insurance is payed up and covers you for a replacement with the mods.

Christo
08-05-07, 06:07 PM
Get youself an "attack Kitten"!

wheelbarrow
08-05-07, 06:38 PM
My wifes allergic to fur.

Samma3l
10-05-07, 08:26 PM
disc locks are good if only to reduce your insurance premium.

I bought a $30 disc lock which took the premium from $414 to $339, a $75 saving!

MIKER
10-05-07, 08:57 PM
disc locks are good if only to reduce your insurance premium.

I bought a $30 disc lock which took the premium from $414 to $339, a $75 saving!

who is your insurance provider ?

blackninja900
11-05-07, 12:12 AM
Such a shame if you use a nice mean Rottweiler as a deterance for would-be theives, you open yourself up to getting sued when doggy attacks and mauls would-be thief.

Have to make due with sign saying "p*ss off" and a lock of some description.

wheelbarrow
11-05-07, 05:05 AM
Forgot to mention this in an earlier thread on Insurance.

QBE gives you a discount if your in a bike club like a Ulyssis member. Because I was just over 40 he just put me down as a member.

MIKER
11-05-07, 08:02 AM
Forgot to mention this in an earlier thread on Insurance.

QBE gives you a discount if your in a bike club like a Ulyssis member. Because I was just over 40 he just put me down as a member.

in 3 years time , i'll be 40 & then i to can claim the same discount hey .. :D

graham979
12-05-07, 04:54 PM
At one of the shop i worked at we used plastic coated steel cable which we bought at "webster TAS".thiefs broke in and tried to cut with bolt cutter.would not work because would not cut through all strands.Ever since then i always use steel cable on my bikes in locked shed.Only ever going to slow them down.

Zed900
12-05-07, 06:29 PM
Maybe lucky they weren't packing cable cutters instead. :D
Though I've just gone this way myself....bought a Xena cable lock, as others have said, it'll at least keep the honest people away. :eek:

Nice Z1-B by the way Graham :cool: