PDA

View Full Version : 650 RL... throttle restriction screw

dunester
10-04-11, 10:56 AM
Ok... I have a 650RL.. 2009

It has a throttle restricting screw that needs a TORX20 screwdriver to remove it...

I have a TORX20.

I think the screw itself would be more effective in a tin in my workshop that holds my rego papers (with a slip on it saying.. put screw back in before selling bike)

I would like to see if putting the screw in the tin improves it's performance...

Has anyone done this ?

Do I need to remove the whole front faring to complete this job ? It's not a huge pain in the butt .... but it is a pain in the but...

Yes I know I am not alowed to sell a LAMS bike in any other condition but restricted...
Yes I know as a L or P rider I cannot ride anything not restricted....
Yes I know that there could be insurance issues...

but
1) I am not selling it (and if I do I will rerestrict it)
2) I am on an open license and served my time restricted honestly

IF1960
10-04-11, 02:10 PM
Well Mate ..

Seeing as the weather is a bit Crapola right now .. and the footy hasn't started yet i had a bit of alook around and found this

DERESTRICTING THE 650RL (http://shanetp.110mb.com/Derestricting%20ER6N.pdf) .. Click and proceed

dunester
10-04-11, 02:29 PM
thanks Ian, got that.... the trouble is unless I'm retarded (no comment required) there is no way of getting to the screw without removing the faring... I have a youtube clip of it

From what I see it's

1) remove bottom faring... no worries
2) remove side top covers ... no worries
3) remove screen.... no worries
4) remove front cap thingo.... no worries
5) remove retaining bolts somewhere
6) disconnect blinker cables
7) remove some other bits ... hey I'm taking the bike to pieces ...why stop now!
8) disconnect headlights....
9) remove faring.....
10)remove screw.
reverse steps 9 - 1

but I was hoping there was some one out there that was going to say "nah, you don't have to remove the fairing, you just have to........"

IF1960
10-04-11, 02:34 PM
Me comment on you being retarded ... never ;)

I was hoping there was some one out there that was going to say "nah, you don't have to remove the fairing, you just have to........"

Well seeing as you opened it up .... " Hit it with a FB Hammer" :)

Chunked
10-04-11, 04:01 PM
Unless your torx driver is really short I doubt you'd be able to do it without taking the fairings off.

As far as I know all you'd need to disconnect to get the front fairing off is:

- Indicator plugs
- Gauge plug
- Headlight plug
- Speedo cable/plug

I'd be more than happy to come over during the day sometime this week if you want a hand :)

Chunked
10-04-11, 04:06 PM
Oh and I'm pretty sure that it's easier to get the side fairings/seat off and take off the bridging connector. The bridge alters the timing advance to reduce power, it's literally a plug with one wire that goes back into itself so you can't miss it :)

You still won't have full throttle until you take the screw off but the power increase might hold you over until you've got more time/ are more motivated to get the front fairing off :P

dunester
10-04-11, 04:19 PM
might be a job for next saturday... not sure I will have time through the week....

ernie6
10-04-11, 07:51 PM
Do it my friend. I took the restriction off my 2010 Er6nl a while ago ( no fairing, so it was easy ) and the bike now goes like **** off a shovel.

Chunked
10-04-11, 11:08 PM
Do it my friend. I took the restriction off my 2010 Er6nl a while ago ( no fairing, so it was easy ) and the bike now goes like **** off a shovel.

You've only got to remove the seat to get to the bridge plug don't you?

dunester
11-04-11, 07:08 AM
You've only got to remove the seat to get to the bridge plug don't you?

Yep. It involves cutting the wire .. I know where the bridge plug is, I just have to find a non destructive way to do it.

ernie6
11-04-11, 07:31 AM
Yep. It involves cutting the wire .. I know where the bridge plug is, I just have to find a non destructive way to do it.

You don't need to cut the wire.... just unplug it and store it somewhere safe. Took about 30 secs to remove the bridging plug.

madcow
11-04-11, 10:23 AM
but the destructive way is muuuuuch more fun....

easyrider
11-04-11, 10:57 AM
i have done a bit of trawling around & cant find much,does anyone know if the 650 has the same thing{i know they are different motors}

Davo
11-04-11, 11:12 AM
Yours would be faster with a normal size rider on it Matt.....

easyrider
11-04-11, 11:50 AM
hence why you have 1700 & not a 650 right? lol

Dafuzz31
11-04-11, 01:07 PM
Yeah take it off.....would be good to see how much of a difference in power that it is holding back.

Davo
11-04-11, 01:32 PM
hence why you have 1700 & not a 650 right? lol

And why you need NOS on yours.....if/when it ever gets finished

easyrider
11-04-11, 03:20 PM
nah its to blow away fat old blokes who think they are cool on their 1700 kwaka`s hahahaha

KLR 650 guy
12-04-11, 08:36 PM
i have done a bit of trawling around & cant find much,does anyone know if the 650 has the same thing{i know they are different motors}

FFs Easy just take it back to the Dealer and tell them you want it unrestricted an thay goto pull the carby out to fill a hole in there and that is it from what i was lead to beleive from my dealer as i told them to do the unrestricted thing as im in WA not Vic so it didnt matter as i wasnt goin back to Vic for anything ....

easyrider
13-04-11, 04:22 AM
all that info on klr650.net related to 2010 & no mention of this yrs model........i can do it my self easy enough i just wanted conformation on the fact the 2011 bikes were the same,they often make small changes without any notification.

dunester
13-04-11, 07:14 AM
FFs Easy just take it back to the Dealer and tell them you want it unrestricted an thay goto pull the carby out to fill a hole in there and that is it from what i was lead to beleive from my dealer as i told them to do the unrestricted thing as im in WA not Vic so it didnt matter as i wasnt goin back to Vic for anything ....

LAMS bikes cannot be legally unrestricted.... no dealer would do it ...

Lone Star
13-04-11, 10:04 AM
Is my bike restricted?
Or was it just born under-powered .....

easyrider
13-04-11, 12:28 PM
go for the 650 loony......they have knocked $500 off the retail price.mind you i got mine before the price drop for 8g anyway!.......+ that inc reg & 2yr unlimited k warranty......which to me represents unbelivable value for money & considering you would get say 3-4g trade then a newy would only cost4-5g!!!!!!!!!!!!! & consider this as well,if you keep ya kle for say another few yrs you will still only get 3-4g on a private sale & even less for trade in right,everything else will have gone up a little but if you get in now at the price they are selling for you can trade up again in 2-3yrs for bugger all{say the value dropped to 5g for the new bike s/h}you only lost 3g in the trade up & you still have a brand new bike with warranty for 2yrs!!!! & all for less than it cost you to keep the kle?.....in reality you will have eventually spent 7-8g {the cost of the bike with no trade in}but thats spread out over the 4-6yrs of owning 2 new klr650`s,you can stretch out the time between trade up but also consider that the klr650 hasnt changed all that much since the 80s & all the gear you put on a new one will bolt straight onto the next one.................seems like smart & enconomical bike ownership to me!

dunester
17-04-11, 03:50 PM
OK an update :)

decided had time, opportunity, instruction and not enough excuses to not do this job...

Found that you don't have to remove the whole front faring... just a side cover.... which ironically was step 1 of removing the front faring.

Removed the screw... no worries.....
Throttle now has a full range.

The bridging connection was a little tougher.... To get good access I needed to replace the read cover... bout five minutes work.. Then the bridging connector came off cleanly (really didnt want to cut the wire)

Put her all back together and took her for a test run.... Lots more response... lots more power all the way up. Got to 140 with heaps of acceleration left to play.......

Whoot!:biggrin1::biggrin1:

madcow
17-04-11, 08:21 PM
you better change your avitar to read NINJA 650R.. looks like you managed to loose an L somewhere...

easyrider
17-04-11, 09:31 PM
must have been the day for derestricting alex.....i pulled the slide out of the klrs carby to day,plugged up the 2 wholes & put it all back together,i havent test ridden it yet,i`ll do that tomorrow when i put the new back tyre on.

dunnno
17-04-11, 10:52 PM
"Is my bike restricted?
Or was it just born under-powered ..... "

hey Star,
put a GPZ500 cam into the old girl, but it wouldn't have the same torque characteristics
regards

dunester
18-04-11, 07:26 AM
must have been the day for derestricting alex.....i pulled the slide out of the klrs carby to day,plugged up the 2 wholes & put it all back together,i havent test ridden it yet,i`ll do that tomorrow when i put the new back tyre on.

great work matt...

Dafuzz31
19-04-11, 09:58 AM
nice work.....would of been good to get it dynoed before and after to see some of the difference.

easyrider
19-04-11, 10:53 AM
great work matt...

jeez i wish i had of done this before i went to tassie!!!!!! goes much better now,effectively i have been riding around on 3/4 throttle & been limited to 120klm......wound it out last night & got a bit higher on the dial but i have to say it hasnt transformed the bike radically so to me it doesnt make any sence restricting it in the first place.The thinking behind this baffels me,they want to let a learner loose on a bike that doesnt really have the ability to pass at highway speeds so therefore keeps you in the middle of traffic at speed? i know you can always slow down if traffic is heavy but i also know that the traffic then dictates your road position instead of you the rider,the restriction doesnt make it a weapon at slower speeds either,the only noticeable difference is at full throttle & above 6000rpm which makes the whole point of restricting the bike in the first place pointless,the whole point of getting a licence is to "learn" how to ride,its like teaching a pilot how to fly a plane but only letting him sit in the passengers seat,if you impart the knowledge it shouldnt matter what a person rides they have the ability to ride a motorcycle,to me it just proves they are handing out licence`s to people who dont have all the knowledge on how to ride a bike & thats the ppl who hand out the licences fault not the riders,having the skill when you start out is far more important than restricting a bike!

easyrider
19-04-11, 10:58 AM
Is my bike restricted?
Or was it just born under-powered .....

sorry to answer your question..........its underpowered lol

Davo
19-04-11, 11:31 AM
Have you riden your since you de restricted it Matt

dunester
19-04-11, 12:07 PM
I haven't opened mine up properly yet but just running around town gave me the sense that it had lots mot to give...

I was expecting some big noticable up front change but there's not.

I think that the 0-60 range is still the same but it feels like it would run up to 110 a hell of a lot faster than it used to!

easyrider
19-04-11, 01:46 PM
jeez i wish i had of done this before i went to tassie!!!!!! goes much better now,effectively i have been riding around on 3/4 throttle & been limited to 120klm......wound it out last night & got a bit higher on the dial but i have to say it hasnt transformed the bike radically so to me it doesnt make any sence restricting it in the first place.The thinking behind this baffels me,they want to let a learner loose on a bike that doesnt really have the ability to pass at highway speeds so therefore keeps you in the middle of traffic at speed? i know you can always slow down if traffic is heavy but i also know that the traffic then dictates your road position instead of you the rider,the restriction doesnt make it a weapon at slower speeds either,the only noticeable difference is at full throttle & above 6000rpm which makes the whole point of restricting the bike in the first place pointless,the whole point of getting a licence is to "learn" how to ride,its like teaching a pilot how to fly a plane but only letting him sit in the passengers seat,if you impart the knowledge it shouldnt matter what a person rides they have the ability to ride a motorcycle,to me it just proves they are handing out licence`s to people who dont have all the knowledge on how to ride a bike & thats the ppl who hand out the licences fault not the riders,having the skill when you start out is far more important than restricting a bike!

Have you riden your since you de restricted it Matt

umm yeahh lol

Davo
19-04-11, 02:08 PM
Sorry Matt but due to the slow speed of this forum it takes to long to go back and read all the pages....

ernie6
19-04-11, 07:34 PM
I haven't opened mine up properly yet but just running around town gave me the sense that it had lots mot to give...

I was expecting some big noticable up front change but there's not.

I think that the 0-60 range is still the same but it feels like it would run up to 110 a hell of a lot faster than it used to!

You just need to give it a big fist full, it'll show it's true colours then..

easyrider
20-04-11, 02:42 AM
Sorry Matt but due to the slow speed of this forum it takes to long to go back and read all the pages....

what no snyed comment? your letting the side down mate lol

dunester
20-04-11, 09:25 AM
Rode to work this morning.....
Broke my top speed record without actually intending to. Just opened it up and looked at the speedo and thought faaaarrrk!

Overtook a car where I would have normally backed off... Again just asked the bike to move a bit and she did .....

There is a WORLD of difference between the 650RL and the 650R....

I'm sort of glad I followed the process and rode restricted for 12 months. As a new rider I can see how this much grunt would have been too much too soon.

Now I'm annoyed Mr RTA can't pull its head out of its ass and let me legally upgrade... I'd pay for the reregistration

Dafuzz31
20-04-11, 10:05 AM
Yep...ya gotta remember it is still a 6fiddy so it has to have some power lurking around there

Davo
20-04-11, 12:36 PM
what no snyed comment? your letting the side down mate lol

Well I was going to say that if you weren't such a fat hairy mooseknuckle then you would notice the increase in performance............but you already know that don't you

easyrider
20-04-11, 01:57 PM
thats better,why did it take you so long to reply?......were you giving your self a scrondel? hahahahaha

Davo
20-04-11, 02:13 PM
NAH.........but the top of your head is nice and smooth so...???????

ernie6
20-04-11, 02:27 PM
You just need to give it a big fist full, it'll show it's true colours then..

hahaha told you so.... lol