PDA

View Full Version : Bike wont Start, Kawasaki ZXR750

Specwarop
26-04-07, 06:36 PM
Well the other day i cleaned out my carbs one my bike ('92 Kawasaki ZXR750) because i was advised to do so by the mechanic that serviced it.
So after I had cleaned them i reinstalled them and what do you know, the bike is really hard to start.
Eventually i got it started and it would stall straight away. Fixed the idle adjustment and it stayed lit. But today, 4 days later it wont start again. Now though when it gets near to starting, an almighty bang will come out of the exhaust. It definitely does not sound good, sounds very concerning. Then stalls again.

I am pretty sure i have done nothing wrong, just that i haven't done something. What that is i have no idea.
If anyone can help me out and possibly shed some light onto the matter, it'd be greatly appreciated.

Regards

Matt

MIKER
26-04-07, 07:18 PM
maybe the jets are blocked ? you did clean em' correctly you say , i wouldnt mess to much with carby's they are very tempermental buggers . there aint no old fuel in the bowls that has gelled up ?

GPZ 900R A6
26-04-07, 11:01 PM
Do you have fuel in the float bowls? Open drain screws on float bowls and see, if yes maybe as mean 1 said blocked mains or did you take the tops of the carbs if you did the air hole inside the slide maybe misaligned, should see daylight in their (beside the needle).

Regards Bruce 2

zxnator
27-04-07, 07:45 AM
Yo, might be a stupid question but did you re connect your two vaccum hoses onto the carbs. if not it will still idle n run but wont feed as ur slides arent opening. once i forgot to connect em at the air intake end but dont tell anyone. zxnator your a real turkey. :D

MIKER
27-04-07, 07:49 AM
^^
nice one liner zxnator , "youre a real turkey" {mad max} ..

Specwarop
27-04-07, 08:06 AM
You could be on to something there zxnator, because I don't remember any vacuum hoses at all.

zxnator
27-04-07, 01:48 PM
^^
nice one liner zxnator , "youre a real turkey" {mad max} ..

yeah, i spose if you throw in ( hey fella shtop) lol :D

Specwarop
02-05-07, 07:44 PM
Well it turns out the reason it wouldn't start is because the bike is supposed to have a fuel pump, though it doesn't. Sounds like such an obvious problem...

MIKER
02-05-07, 08:15 PM
fuel pumps that work help / fuel pumps that actually are fitted help also .. :rolleyes: :D

Specwarop
02-05-07, 08:19 PM
Haha exactly, but now i have to find one, and the $400 from Kawasaki for one is not nice.

MIKER
02-05-07, 08:23 PM
Haha exactly, but now i have to find one, and the $400 from Kawasaki for one is not nice.

$400 :eek: , are they made of gold .. :rolleyes:

Specwarop
02-05-07, 08:24 PM
They had better be

planezrx
02-05-07, 09:33 PM
I'm sure that I've bought an in-line diesel fuel pump (marine) for less than $100. I'll check it out and get back to you.

We used to use it as a roving bilge pump on one of the boats I worked on, so it will definately suck fuel out of the tank and get it to the carb's.

Cheers,
Pete

Specwarop
02-05-07, 11:17 PM
Yeah but if its too high a pressure or too high flow, it'll flood the carbs.

zxnator
04-05-07, 04:41 PM
yeah ok, i knew by the sound of what was originally discribed it was not feeding like i originally said. if you still have the pump and you just need to get out of trouble, lightly tap the pump with a small malet till you hear it fire up, it will work only for a sort period then could stop at any time, problem being that the points in the pump sieze , it comonly happens to old pumps when the bike is run out of fuel, or old bike or old pump has been sitting for a long duration. it's a typical old syndrome. and yes expect to pay $360 up . :D

Specwarop
08-05-07, 01:46 PM
Okay, well i got myself a secondhand fuel pump, hooked it all up and i don't think the pump is running. I put the pump directly to the battery, and the pump will click then stop. Not sure as to what that means.
Also when i flick the key to ON, the pump isn't getting power but when i press the START button the pump will then begin to get power. Again, not sure if thats normal.
Anyways im a bit confused and annoyed now. Maybe the relay is broken but also maybe the pump isn't working too. I would have thought the pump would run continuously when its hooked straight to the battery.

MIKER
08-05-07, 02:31 PM
late model bikes , ussually get the pump going once you turn the iginition on .

Specwarop
08-05-07, 06:19 PM
Okay i disconnected the fuel hose from the inlet on the carbs, jumpered the pump straight to the battery and the ****er just runs on and on - so it works.
So something is making the pump stop when its connected to the carbs. Which is normal i assume if its stopping due to full floats or whatever. How does it pick this up, via pressure? Also i noticed in my pump to carb fuel hose there was a slight kink. I think that could have contributed largely to the problem.

zxnator
10-05-07, 06:30 PM
Okay i disconnected the fuel hose from the inlet on the carbs, jumpered the pump straight to the battery and the ****er just runs on and on - so it works.
So something is making the pump stop when its connected to the carbs. Which is normal i assume if its stopping due to full floats or whatever. How does it pick this up, via pressure? Also i noticed in my pump to carb fuel hose there was a slight kink. I think that could have contributed largely to the problem.
hey man, ur fuel pump on ur model only fires up once you hit the start button, any kink in the fuel line will affect the flow, and if it fires up powerd directly to the battery it must work, i check em that way cause second hand pumps can fail straight up as most are sitting around with no fuel in em and the points stick, the pump always runs has no cut out. make sure you have connected the inlet and outlet properly. check useing a test light that ur geting power to the pump when you are pressing the start button. :D

henksmeanstreak
17-07-07, 06:12 PM
You could be on to something there zxnator, because I don't remember any vacuum hoses at all.

they operate the slides the vacuum hoses that is

Johnnie5
17-07-07, 07:16 PM
as you already found out the pump only runs when you crank the bike

they are only a low pressure pump few psi , when the carbs are full and the floats close off the pump stops due to the pressure build up , as you can imagine it doesnt take much so kinks in the hose or blocked filters will stop it

Specwarop
25-08-07, 04:22 PM
What PSI is the pump supposed to run at exactly anyways?

homer501
10-03-08, 01:56 AM
about 1.5 to 2.5 psi and you can get after market pumps for small carbi cars that will fit and they are around a 100 bucks i went through all this with my 93 zxr750