PDA

View Full Version : locks.

Nevyn Kawa
24-04-07, 08:59 PM
Hi Guys.

This going to sound really dodgy especially since this is my first post but....

I have just been given an old Kawasaki 750 (1984). He has had to move states and as this bike is not running (and hasn't done for about 12 months) he decided to give it to me as is. My assumption (and quiet hope for luck) is that a good clean out of tank, carby and sparkplugs should (may) get her up and running.

Here is the problem, he is 90% packed and still has not been able to locate the keys. (He has done me receipts and stuff and have known him long enough to beleive it all above board)

Now I have the workshop manuals and it seems bloody easy to hot wire temporarily (want to see if I can get it running before I go spending money on new ignition) Problem is the seat and fuel tank is locked down. is there any way of charging up the battery without accessing the battery itself??

Oh and if anyone has hotwired these things would you mind PMing me so I know I am doing it right?? (suggest not putting it up here as again, sounds really dodgy)

MIKER
24-04-07, 09:20 PM
welcome , "HE" ? sounds a bit dodgy alright . sorry i cant help as i dont know the bike , but you will require to get the seat off to charge the battery . its best to get "HE" to get the keys etc .. ;)

wheelbarrow
24-04-07, 09:24 PM
Welcome to the forum locks, oops I mean Nevyn Kawa.

You don't wanna hear this but I can't help you bar tearing the seat off. I'm sure someone will be able to help.

Just please don't tell us you live in Logan:p .

Good luck in your new career....:D

Daniel

Nevyn Kawa
24-04-07, 09:36 PM
welcome , "HE" ? sounds a bit dodgy alright . sorry i cant help as i dont know the bike , but you will require to get the seat off to charge the battery . its best to get "HE" to get the keys etc .. ;)

Sorry, "HE" is a mate of mine. I worked with his wife for quite a while. Does it help if I write KZ7581a ? that's on the number plate, I don't really know the bike that well and there is no model written on it.

EDIT: actually how about I be more intelligent and look at the W/Shop manual. It appears to be a Z750 L4 model (may also be Z750P4 GT750??)

Was thinking to drill the barrell of the lock out on the assu,ption I can buy a new lock. assuming that it's not old enough to be vintage and not new enough to be new therefore hoping not too expensive.

I haven't had a bike for quite some time (very long story) and intend to take my time getting back on the road. don't want to spend money on it till I know I can get it ack on the road.

Nevyn Kawa
24-04-07, 09:39 PM
Welcome to the forum locks, oops I mean Nevyn Kawa.

You don't wanna hear this but I can't help you bar tearing the seat off. I'm sure someone will be able to help.

Good luck in your new career....:D

Daniel

Yeah and I happen to know the seat is hard to replace (his old one had to be replaced and he said he ended up having to get it imported) so don't want to do that.

Anyone know if (more importantly how much) you can get a new key if you supply chassis number or something to manufacturer? (along with statements/receipts etc)

Nevyn Kawa
24-04-07, 09:59 PM

Oh and.... um.... Crestmead. :D :D Said mate lives in Browns plains and is moving back to Sydney.

Story of bike is he bought a new one and therefore let the old one stand, was running so wish me luck that a clean will do the job.

As for waiting for the keys, I have been waiting for the last two weeks. am starting to think they are not going to show. hence the current conversation.

It will be 9 years in june since I last owned a bike, apart from a few blockies that ain't much time on a bike. want to get it up and running, rego and then look at a Q ride or something before starting to ride regular again.

MIKER
24-04-07, 10:05 PM
it seems , you just have to drill the lock out & open the seat release this way . i really cant be of more help on that model , good luck mate .. ;)

wheelbarrow
24-04-07, 10:13 PM
Oh and.... um.... Crestmead. :D :D Said mate lives in Browns plains and is moving back to Sydney.

Story of bike is he bought a new one and therefore let the old one stand, was running so wish me luck that a clean will do the job.

As for waiting for the keys, I have been waiting for the last two weeks. am starting to think they are not going to show. hence the current conversation.

It will be 9 years in june since I last owned a bike, apart from a few blockies that ain't much time on a bike. want to get it up and running, rego and then look at a Q ride or something before starting to ride regular again.

I grew up in Kingston.

As for waiting for the last two weeks for keys, the price on the bike is getting cheaper and cheaper as you wait. Suppose it all depends on the price of the bike

Nevyn Kawa
24-04-07, 10:45 PM
I grew up in Kingston.

As for waiting for the last two weeks for keys, the price on the bike is getting cheaper and cheaper as you wait. Suppose it all depends on the price of the bike

I have just been given an old Kawasaki 750 (1984).

Can't really complain all that much about the price :) :) also can't expect him to drop the price any more....

That's the point, I have said ever since I would get a bike again but was thinking long time in the future. So if I can get this one running for the price of rego and a decent helmet and jacket then bonus, otherwise it will wait for a few more years.

Nevyn Kawa
02-06-07, 08:09 PM
Just for anyone who is interested, actually for the obvious reason I won't put the how to details up, I'll just say it is surprisingly easy.

Wiring is a little more complicated, really need a workshop manual to do it right.

The interesting part being is that the switch over-ride and no key is not against the rules for rego !! Once proving the bike is mine they didn't bat an eyelid.

MIKER
02-06-07, 09:16 PM
The interesting part being is that the switch over-ride and no key is not against the rules for rego !! Once proving the bike is mine they didn't bat an eyelid.

hhmm , thanks for the info ..