PDA

View Full Version : Windshield scratches

lanky50
15-02-07, 06:50 PM
Does anyone have a remendy for taking out scratches on windshields.I have a couple of light circular ones on my new V2K shield.I'm nearly in tears.My mum lent me a rag to clean.Should have checked it first:(

MIKER
15-02-07, 08:04 PM
sorry mate , i think you have to live with em' :(

velocity
17-02-07, 08:27 PM
I tried to polish out some scratches on a visor using progressively finer wet & dry abrasive paper. Trouble came when finishing it off with car polish. It seems that some of the solvent in the polish got into the visor and made it sort of cloudy. More experimentation needed!

If you decide to experiment do it on a small area in an unobtrusive place.

I had good sucess on my windshield but that was in the smoky area so I couldn't see if it went cloudy.

Cheers, v.

Frogbell
06-04-07, 04:09 PM
Try some Brasso - it's an extremely mild abrasive that wont scratch the plastic but will slowly polish out the scratch. If the scratch is too deep try using 1000 or 1500 wet & dry very lightly until the scratch is removed and then polish the cloudy area with Brasso. This takes a lot of elbow grease and a long time with the Brasso continually using clean cloths and fresh Brasso but it's worth it in the long run if you have time on your hands.

Good luck,

lenno

dazzpete2
15-04-07, 11:53 AM
You can buy some polish for plastics. Can't remember the name of it but have used it on cleaning up the screen on a bandit 1200 - came up good too.

From memory I think it was a two step process - the stuff is around just have to look for it.

Pete

funksoul
15-04-07, 12:01 PM
WORKS OK
bruce

lanky50
15-04-07, 03:58 PM
Thanks fellows,I'll give the Brasso a try,then try Super Cheap Auto.;)

Toddy900
16-04-07, 04:29 PM
G'day Mate,

There is a great product that is used in the aviation industry to repair the windscreens on aircraft that have scratches, crazes etc.

It is a product from the USA made by Micro-Mesh Liquid Abrasives, and it is called Micro Gloss Liquid Abrasive. It can be used on plenty of different materials. Check out the web site by typing in Micro Gloss and hit the search.

It can be purchased in Australia from a place called Aviall. Once again type Aviall in and search the Web for the locations in Oz. They are located in all the capitals. I don't know if it can be purchased without having an account with them though but it is only a phone call away from finding out. The Brisbane phone number is (07) 3277 8322 and Cairns (07)4032 4299

good luck

Toddy900

planezrx
16-04-07, 05:38 PM
Plexus!
Comes in an aerosol can. Blue and black label.
Cheers,
Pete

Tex Warren
17-04-07, 09:08 AM
Plexus!
Comes in an aerosol can. Blue and black label.
Cheers,
Pete

Plexus is great for the final finish... Blue Magic is THE GO!!!! it comes in a tube like toothpaste and is extremely fine grade abrasive IE: perfect for soft products like plastic, gold etc.... (you should see my ring after a polishing!!!):eek: but seriously...

If you can't get Blue Magic (at Auto Pro) (in the blue and black tube) try California purple polish... even harder to find but equally effective on perspex. Available at Electromold.

Then a fine mist of plexus and a wipe for that anti-static finish.

plexus is also great on LCD screens... My 20 inch iMac and 22 inch slave screen are sparkley .... ;)

planezrx
17-04-07, 10:10 AM
.... (you should see my ring after a polishing!!!):eek:

No Thanks!

Pete

lanky50
18-04-07, 03:42 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions.But which one first.No,seriously,I'll try the Blue Magic.There's a Auto pro not[185k]far.I really appreciate you all.;)

Tweeds
24-04-07, 08:06 PM
Lanky, how did you get on with polishing out the scratches ?

Tex Warren
24-04-07, 09:39 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions.But which one first.No,seriously,I'll try the Blue Magic.There's a Auto pro not[185k]far.I really appreciate you all.;)

HINT!... ring them up and check they got it.... if not... drop me a line and I will post y'all a tube.

lanky50
25-04-07, 01:47 PM
Fellows.I havn't had a chance to get over to Bundy yet.But I'm going over on our long[labor day public holiday in Qld]weekend,5th May.Hopefully I'll get the products then.

lanky50
15-05-07, 06:04 PM
I've finally got back to all you fellow riders,offering solutions to windshield scratches.Guess what ,none of the auto groups up[Qld] Bundy way sell any of the products you've suggested.The product I bought is Meguiars Plastx.It says it'll remove fine scratches.The scratches on my screen must be too deep,as it didn't work.but it got rid of the cloudy patch from a past experiment.Brings it back like new again.Maybe after continuious use the scratches will fade away.

Tweeds
15-05-07, 08:04 PM
Thanks for the info Lanky, will give the Meguirs a go.