PDA

View Full Version : ZZR 1100

Marshy
06-02-07, 07:25 PM
G'day all,

I am a new member to your great forum and it has been about 10 years since I last owned a bike (unfortunately).

I am pretty keen to buy a used ZZR 1100 but was advised by a friend that buying a bike that has done 60 000km's or more is likely to need major engine work in the not too distant future. Currently these are the bikes I can look at pricewise, I can wait a while (saving:rolleyes: ) and look at later model lower km bikes (sooner is better though:D ) but thought I would run it by you guys and girls for your opinion if you don't mind.

Best regards,

Marshy

blackninja900
06-02-07, 07:38 PM
Ahhh, another waiter 'n' saver :cool: I'm in the same position (only my goals are a little lower ZZR-250)

If the bike was flogged into the ground, over-revved repeatedly throughout the 60,000+km it has clocked up, then yeah, you will have some engine problems.

If it was ridden and not flogged, then you shouldn't have a problem. Before you buy, it is always sensible to have someone look over the bike for you; a mechanic or a friend who knows their way around the engine.

I hoped that helped!

MIKER
06-02-07, 08:05 PM
i was going to advise looking @ the ZZR1200 , but you do mention your current budget only allow's so much . 60k isnt that much if the bike has a genuine service history & most of the 'Km' are highway done . i'd imagine the bottom end of the engine should still be in good order , but be mindfull of the top end , rocker gear , cam's , valve seat etc have a tendancy to wear out if the bike has been not looked after & thrashed . check the sprocket's for wear , chain wear indicator mark's , disc's thickness , brake pad's & for overall sign's of a bike thats been dropped .
p.s. good luck in your search , if in doubt hire a pro to inspect the bike you have your heart set on {welcome to the site} .. ;)

finallyridingagain
07-02-07, 03:51 PM
After all the issues I've had - and trust me there were heaps - get it checked professionally. A quick test ride didnt reveal any issues, neither did a roadworthy or how "clean" the bike looked. I checked for the obvious things like ground pegs, was the engine already warm when I got there - ie make it easier to start. It had heaps of power - and thats where the problem was........weird hey?

After 10 years (I was in the same boat) I probably wasnt going to know if anything was going to sound wrong as I had no point of reference.

It was only after a major service that things came undone. I'm probably the exception to the rule - but in a couple of months I've spent over 3K getting a 10K bike up to scratch. (I went for a cruiser thinking it wouldnt be thrashed!)

Learn from my costly experience and get it checked out........

(PS - I Still love the bike though! Man its awesome getting back on the road)

Marshy
18-02-07, 07:07 AM
Thanks for the great input all, it's much appreciated.

Marshy

planezrx
20-02-07, 04:42 PM
Hey Marshy,
My ZRX1100 (same basic structure of the engine and lots of parts interchangable between the two) is 72,000 km's old and hasn't missed a beat.

The only drama I've had in the 5 years I've owned it is a holed radiator.
I do most of my own servicing with regards to oil changes and other minor things, but let a mechanic do the valve clearances.

There are plenty of ZZR110's out there that are worth buying, keep sniffing around bikepoint and bikesales and you'll find one.

Cheers,
Pete

planezrx
20-02-07, 04:58 PM
By the way Marshy....

If it is not being too personal, what price range are you looking at?

Cheers,
Pete

aussiedav
20-02-07, 09:53 PM
Most bigger bore Kawasaki motors are strong, mine has 158,000 on it and is running and internally like new with never a part or breakdown apart from good regular servicing. same should be true of the 1100, prob is finding out if its been serviced regular.

Marshy
22-02-07, 10:19 AM
Hi Pete,
Currently I could probably go to about $5500, not a lot around at this price but there are a few.

Thanks Davo,
Hopefully I can find one with a logbook showing the servicing.

Cheers,
Marshy