PDA

View Full Version : Fuel - Shell V power - opinions?

finallyridingagain
08-01-07, 12:12 PM
Hey at dynoverks I asked about fuel as my bike was making a weird noise at 120 (meanie 1500). Turns out it was pinging so he rec bp ultimate as his first pref. Then the others, but stay away from shell (I get this from every mech I ask)
Mate at work today mentioned that in the last couple of weeks shell has replaced their high octane fuel with another one. Any feedback on that one? I think its called vpower or similar?

MIKER
08-01-07, 12:18 PM
yeh , they {shell} renamed optimax to Vpower . problem with the stuff am told is that it has to much detregent's & something to do with cleaning to good e.g cleaning the bore's of oil or something like that causing premature engine wear . nearly everyone i respect that actually know's about motorcycles mentioned similar stories , so for me it's easy to avoid shell fuel & i put BP ultimate 98ron & Mobil 8000 98ron fuel's .

Wrecker
08-01-07, 12:33 PM
One of my friends tried it in his 05 CBR.(out of fuel and had no choice) Bike started to overheat after 15kms and all all they way back from Wollongong to Sydney temp light kept coming on. He drained tank and replaced fuel. (No more problems since using all other major brands).

Heard another storey about the quality (all negative).

Big Willy
08-01-07, 06:06 PM
My 00 ZX6 ran noticeably worse using Shell Optimax. Just didn't quite have it. Now I've found my bike prefers Caltex Vortex or Matildas Premium.
Some fuels burn quicker or slower than others and faster burning is not necessarily related to more power,it's whatever suits your motor the best. Try different fuels until you find one that your happy with

Christo
08-01-07, 08:34 PM
Hey at dynoverks I asked about fuel as my bike was making a weird noise at 120 (meanie 1500). Turns out it was pinging so he rec bp ultimate as his first pref. Then the others, but stay away from shell (I get this from every mech I ask)
Mate at work today mentioned that in the last couple of weeks shell has replaced their high octane fuel with another one. Any feedback on that one? I think its called vpower or similar?
Made the mistake of putting that **** in my VN900 within minutes it sounded like I had marbles rattling around in my cylinders, knocking like a ******* it was, ended up syphoning the tank and putting in BP fuel. Never using Shell again!

MIKER
12-01-07, 02:14 PM
Made the mistake of putting that **** in my VN900 within minutes it sounded like I had marbles rattling around in my cylinders, knocking like a ******* it was, ended up syphoning the tank and putting in BP fuel. Never using Shell again!
I am amazed @ how well shell market's it's product's & ppl buy it blindly , i've heard to many horror stories of ppl's using shell optimax {Vpower} . for me it's easier not to use shell fuel's than learn the hard way ..

latinmanuc
13-01-07, 12:23 AM
havnt used the stuff i fill at caltex never have problems though thanks for making me aware of this

lanky50
13-01-07, 03:12 PM
thanks for the tip off,boys.Where I live,it's mainly all BP fuel.I'm using the 95& 98 octane in my VN2000,with no problems.